The Adventures of LoneStar & The Iron Butterfly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Nice you got the BMW blue/ frosted version for the filter. Funny on tires I've been running Mitas 07 on my 08 GS and love them. Not experiencing any of your issues. Were you running the stiffer sidewall Dakar versions? I'm not riding with the full packed load you are. That might change the handling as well.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey bud - yes I had the Dakars on it. The effect was much like having too much weight on the back and a light front end. Preload was correct with loaded weight but they also felt the same with the cases off. Not sure why the effect :scratch
  3. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I know many of you have been staying up all night for days straight, staring bleary eyed at your laptops and desktops waiting in breathless anticipation for my next post...

I'm still in the mini-Manhattan of Dilley, having drinks with Hank, Mitch Jagger and Keith Richard cuz I had to wait on a part to come in.

As regular maintenance the driveshaft was pulled to check and grease and lo and behold, it was "notchy". Hank had said it might have some issues since the bike has 62K now, but we were both surprised to find so. Both ends had a notchy feel in the bearings and probably would have taken a dump in another 20k or so. That would have put me just about in Ushuaia, a fabulous place to destroy a driveshaft and swingarm on a BMW.

[​IMG]

Got the aftermarket shaft put in today and hope to be on the road early for Nuevo Laredo Wed morning. A bit leery of taking off with an untested part, but it's rebuildable and has zerks for lubing the bearings every 30k or so.

[​IMG]
    jlambo, GAS GUY, rodr and 8 others like this.
  4. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I tried the 07 Dakars on my Stelvio. The rear was toast at 4500 miles, the front wasn't much better. I went back to the K-60's because they handle better and last longer....especially the front. The rears will usually make 6500 miles but the front will last through 3 rear tires.
    LoneStar likes this.
  5. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    A little preventive maintenance goes a long ways at eliminating bigger problems later. We'll start the clock at 23.30.00. and counting. Safe travels.
  6. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Careful, or you'll start seeing that "new & improved" air box on the shelves at your Beemer dealer for $179.95...
    LoneStar likes this.
  7. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drive shaft/final drive issues at 62k is one of the reasons I no longer ride a BMW.
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And here I was thinking you were already south 'o de border...
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. LoneStar

Oddometer:
  10. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LoneStar, just so you know, I paused and re read the paragraphs and admired the stunning pictures of the "God moment" posting. Magnificent, jaw dropping, speechless. It should come with an allergy alert...
    LoneStar likes this.
  11. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    20170221_154432.jpg 20170221_154432.jpg
    LoneStar and GregDavidL like this.
  12. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

I recently passed through the Clark Fork Idaho/Troy Libby Montana area on my ride to Glacier National Park. I noticed you took the same road 56 that connects Montana 200 along Clark Fork to the Troy Kootenai Falls area. I rode right past the cutoff to the Ross Creek Cedar Scenic area which I believe you and IBF visited. Did you plan every stop along this route or did you just happen to see a sign that I missed and happened upon this place?

Do you:

1) Plan every detail of every ride with a meticulous ability second only to Mr. Spock?

2) Just ride every friggin' rode you come across and hit every cool spot by canvasing and entire area?

3) Do you have a general idea of where you want to ride and just ask locals for cool places to visit?

I never read this report until now but still re-read sections of South America. Also enjoying Labrador. I hope Dorian peters out shortly.

NC

Edit: I just got through your section on Hyder/Stewart. I passed through that spot just a few weeks before you, ironically, circa late June 2016. Did you make it to Salmon Glacier?

13. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an intelligent young woman I saw giving Lonestar the inverted middle finger around Paricutin, LingMAO!

Apparently a quinceanera gives a young Mexican girl the ability to offer a foreign traveler the finger 'cuz she knows everything about world politics and can blame the US for her having to live in squalor. LingMAO again. She reminds me of that stupid American eighth grader who refused to meet with Speaker Ryan because he didn't agree with his policies. Like any eight grader can grasp what is going on in the world when mommy and daddy still provide everything. Young people learn from their parents and American television which is the last place you should go for accurate information. I could go on but I'll just remind that stupid Mexican chick that if her country wasn't so corrupt politically (re-read the post where Lonestar spoke with a local about how corrupt their government is and how hard it is to get ahead and then re-read that post about the woman who worked for Pres-T and had only good things to say about him. So those who know nothing but lies are filled with hatred and contempt and those who know the truth are more passionate and understanding) her people would not try to cross the border north. And no they cannot go to Canada either, you cannot move to Canada without what they call "Settlement Funds" to make sure you can pay your bills until you find a job.

Delete this post if necessary but that obnoxious little girl really irked me.

NC
    2mstone and bobw like this.