The adventures of Opa and Augie

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Mar 7, 2017.

1. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    For the last several years my friend Opa and I have been riddin together and enjoying each others company on many rides throught the years. We have traveled to California to visit his son taking two different routes each time. We made a trip down to Florida stopping to see one of my old Iron Butt buddies and close friend. This past September we rode to Maine to eat a fresh lobster, heck I don't even like lobster, But he is my close friend and riddin buddy and I couldn't let him make a trip like that alone. Every time I get an Email or a phone call from him he is calling wanting me to take off for a month, a week, a few days, or a 3 or 4 hundred mile day ride to get a burger at some hole in the wall cafe one of u other "adventure" riders stumbled across trying to find ur way back home. And, being the good friend I try to be, I really cannot let him go alone. After all, we are both retired and ain't got much else to do any way.
    Well it looks like we about to take another trip toward the west coast real soon. I have been informed I need to get started updating my camping gear. I thought we decided last year that two old men almost 70 years old don't have any business sleeping on the ground after riding 4 or 5 hunderd miles a day on a couple over-sized dirt bikes, More on this later. Oh well. I been told I better order up some new shoes for the Tenere, get some maintance done and be ready to depart on or about the 15th of May. Guess I better get my butt in gear. This past week I was informed we needed to make a shakedown run out to the Outer Banks of NC, ride some ferrys and test out our new updated gear. This is likely gonna get real intresting real soon. Hope you will stay tuned. These are the horses that will take us on our journey. Opa on the GS and me on the Tenere. camera pictures thru april 2015 099.JPG
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    In :lurk
  3. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  4. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I guess this means it's too late to change my mind? :lol2

We did ride that particular stretch of road the last two years, TX 170, aka River Road. Between Lajitas and Presidio TX. A highly recommended road!

Another view, Mexico on the left of the river (Rio Grande), Texas on the right.

DSC_6100.JPG

5. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We are planning to take a more northern route west from the carolinas than we rode in the past 2 trips west. We usually like to have a general route in our inital plan but are very flexable and don't have a problem altering it when need be. As of now our inital plan is to spend about 10 days to 2 weeks working our way west across the south central part of the US camping as much as possible dropping south as we get close to Opa's sons home on southern California around the first of june where we will spend several days before leaving out toward Colorado. One of our close riding buddies is wanting to join us in Colorado sometime in early june in the Pikes Peak area where he is planning to join us and spend several weeks riding and camping with us.
    10ecjed likes this.
  6. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    As Augie said, we are planning a more northerly route this time, hence the later start. We've left in March, we've left in April, guess we'll try May.........

Here's the general idea, maybe......

Capture5.JPG

Well, for the first part, before we meet up with the guy with a job.

The Oma and 10ecjed like this.
  7. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    The weather here in the carolinas took a turn for the worst last week and Opa and I have had to delay our test run to the Outer Banks to test out some new gear we are planning to carry this year. As of now we are planning to quiet a bit of camping this year and are trying to get some lighter gear that won't take up as much space as our old stuff and still be comfortable and do the job. The last time we camped the temps unexpectedly dropped into the low 30s and we both ended up having a rough nite. On a trip as long as we are planning to take this time being uncomfortable at nite is something you don't want have to deal with. With lows in the 20s and teens and highs in the low 40s we decided to wait a week before makin our test trip. As usual we both are starting to get excited to get started and are starting to look toward our planned starting date of may 15th. I spoke with Opa several days ago and he has got most of his gear ready. As of now he is going to try to run the tires he just replaced to California where he will have new ones shipped before we arrive there. As I still have several thousand miles left on my present tires I am going to wait till just before time to go to install 2 new tires to began the trip with. I hope to be able to run these to the west coast and back to Colorado or longer before having to buy tires. I can usually run two rear tires to one front and hopefully be able to do the full trip on the same front tire. WE are planning to a lot of riding in the rocky mountians and up into some of the northwest areas. It is hard to know how many miles we will end up riding but could be well over ten thousand or more I suspect. A lot will depend on what our friend Jon has in mind. I am planning to get together with him and talk more in next several days.
    The Opa likes this.
  8. jeepman63

jeepman63 daplumber

Oddometer:
    gonna be watching this one :)
    The Opa likes this.
  9. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    N!
    The Opa likes this.
  10. SOUP

SOUP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should go grab an upstate tag while you guys are gone.
    Have a good ride.
    The Oma and The Opa like this.
  11. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks awesome. :photog
    The Opa likes this.
  12. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I loaded the camping gear and set it on the motorcycle today. It should look pretty much like this when we take off. This photo is from the last camping overnight, when we once again decided not to camp............:hmmmmm

DSC_8834_6_8_tonemapped_1301.JPG

marco polo 62 and The Oma like this.
  13. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with Opa and it looks like everything is a go for our gear test and ride out to Cape Hatteras and down the outer banks for a two or three day bike trip to test our new camping gear we will be using this year. Looks like the weather is gonna be a little on the cool side. Daytime highs in the 50s and lows in the low 40s will make for a good test similar to what we are likely to have to deal with in some of the higher altitude areas we will be riding thru on our trip. A good portion of our trip this year is going to be spent in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah camping at higher elevations. We are both well equipped and ride often in 40 degree weather and colder but camping in cold conditions is tough to say the least. As we are both in our late 60s the cold can become a real problem. Hopefully the riding gods will shine down on us and give us good weather. Opa is planning to be at my home late tuesday where we will spend the nite before we head out early thursday morning for Kitty Hawk. Our plan is to ride around 300 to 350 miles the first day and camp somewhere in the Morehead City area thursday nite. Stay tuned things are fixin to get intresting im sure.​
  14. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for more!

(Just one thing AugieDog, when you type a post, would you please consider breaking the one big paragraph into several smaller ones - it'll be easier for us to read. Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes from NZ

Shane
  15. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I thought I would post up a few of my favorite pictures from several of my previous rides. Hopefully Opa will post a few of his also. This is one of my favorites. It was taken on the Trans American Trail in Colorado in 2014. tat trail 121.JPG
  16. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    041_41.JPG this one was taken on the Danalli Highway in 2012 on a ride from NC to Alaska.
    The Oma and Shaggie like this.
  17. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I took this last year as we were heading down toward Winslow Az. camera pictures thru april 2015 157.JPG
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:drink
  19. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Gillespie Dam Bridge, Gila Bend AZ. 2016

Not often than I get a rear view photo that even shows the intended subject!

DSCN3856.JPG

trypod-AL, The Oma and Shaggie like this.
  20. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Opa got to my house around 5 yesterday. We met flasher, another riding buddy for dinner, came back to my house and made a few last minute adjustments before bed. Had a story blow thru during the nite but woke up to 50 degree Temps and Carolina blue skys. Hit the road bout 7:30. 20170322_071426_LLS.jpg
    trypod-AL and The Oma like this.