The Adventures of Tyson and Hobbes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by av_mech, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    Now accepting donations for a total suspension rebuild. :evil
  2. rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer:
    Not to speak for Tyson, but having been into his shop a fair amount over the last six months, and seeing the amazing new lady friend he has, I can see how this thread has languished. He's got good stuff going on that is keeping him quite busy.
  3. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Well, I figured I'd say hello. It's been quite some time. As John said, I have been quite busy lately. My shop is totally rocking in Boise and my lady friend really is quite spectacular.

Writing this thread has been a major joy in my life. Not just the rides I've been on, but actually pulling all these miles into a story and sharing it with you. I've made some friends from this thread and it will always be very important to me. Though even finding the time to ride is difficult nowadays.

Dual sport riding has dominated my bachelor life for the past few years. You have seen the time, money, and effort I have put into these amazing adventures. It is a sport I will do for the rest of my life. And I will always have this thread as long as ADV keeps hosting the site.

The past year has seen many changes in my life. I really have met someone special and we spend a lot of time together. My business really is rocking and I will actually make it into the black my first year in business. Many of you know just what an accomplishment that really is.

This past summer, I was still very much playing outside. I did manage almost 5000 miles of riding and Hobbes has 32k on the clock. I owe you some stories. And they will come. Eventually.

But, my love of backpacking was renewed and I hiked about 125 miles this summer. Tamara introduced me to whitewater rafting and took me on my first multi day trip. I even got a ski day in the end of June this year. I am taking a more rounded approach to my outdoor activities instead of being so focused on ADV riding. It is important to me personally and also to my business. My Facebook followers of the business page and customers of the shop really love all of my different adventures. It gives that street cred to run an outdoor adventure shop.

Just keep a subscription to this thread as there are many more Adventures of Tyson and Hobbes on the horizon. I am trying to find balance with everything new in my life. It is overwhelming and wonderful at the same time.

I will continue to ride and get in sticky situations for your entertainment. I will continue to write. This thread may never regain the constant intrigue of weekly installments, but my adventures are chronicled here and there are many more to come. I hope you all have a great holiday season.

Tyson
  4. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Total rebuild of the suspension complete. $850 later. I completely wore out the rear shock and the forks needed a complete rebuild. Plus, I had some trick air bleeders installed to let the air pressure out of the forks. And the sad part? It's been done for a month and I haven't even taken it for a test ride. And that's just how busy life is.
  5. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Incredulous iconoclast 8:46. Woke SJW. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still here Tyson.
    Congrats on putting all the pieces together!!! A monumental year, indeed. :thumb

Lurking. :D

[​IMG]
  6. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you found someone new and work is booming!! Enjoy as much as possible with your special person and we will just keep checking for updates! :thumb
  7. KMK

KMK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checking in, one of my favorite threads on here.
  8. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Hi! I'm alive! 850 miles this weekend and I might even do a ride report for all you lovers of my adventures. It's been a long time. I was looking through photos of the ride and wondered how the thread was doing. So, I checked in. This little thread that was so important to me for so long, still ranks 13th all time in Day Trippin'. And to me, that says something about how important this thread was to all of you who read it. I haven't posted in almost a year and a half and this thread is still one of the most viewed out there. That means a lot and I will start producing again.

Life has settled again. Business is rocking and the personal life is great. I hope to have time to ride and write in the future. Even though I have really diversified my vacation time to include backpacking, climbing, rafting, and drinking. Oh wait, I've always done that last one.

But, RR coming....

Love all you riders out there
  9. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Incredulous iconoclast 8:46. Woke SJW. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get on with it, SLACKER!:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  10. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    He Lives!! :clap
  11. mr2autoxr

mr2autoxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Write up that ride report!!! I need something else to read and dream about.
  12. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    we still got nothing..... :ear
  13. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Tis the life of a small business owner. Probably busier than he ever thought he'd be.

Rob
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll have better luck following his business FB page. He's in the midst of opening a second store. :evil
  15. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    All work and no play makes Tyson a dull boy….
  16. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:

swimmer and others-
    New to me 2012 Tiger XC, logged about 5K since Aug 18th. Rode 125 miles on Tuesday, and 60 miles today.
    Not bad for January in Western South Dakota!

I did the 12K service in Oct, bought the 'DEALER TOOL' (as I have previously described in this thread) and have continued 'reading' old reports to catch up on all the things one should know about the Tiger.
    Today,
    I found this comment/reply, as seen above to be of great interest...as I have an Arrow muffler, and get about 200 miles on a tank of gas at interstate speeds.

The 'tune' thing/map is new to me; at the time of purchase, I was assured that the bike had an ARROW tune for the ARROW pipe...no paperwork to offer proof. shrug.
    I will say, the inside of the exhaust pipe is slightly sooty (black) and the bike 'smells' rich at idle (yeah, I know, calibrated nose....) when you stand behind it in a no-wind environment.
    The bike oil level moves very little during the 6K mile oil-change-interval, so I am pretty sure the soot is not oil.

I will preface my following questions by saying, the bike runs great! other than the 40ish gas mileage (=Speeds rarely below 70mph).
    However, before todays ride, I had reset all the data points in the odo function and notice it gave me 50.3mpg...I did not exceed 65mph for very long, and most of the ride was ~55mph due to road conditions in the Black Hills.

m.

2ish/3/4 questions--based on your input above;
    1. How often does this bike need to have the map loaded?
    2. If you have an Arrow exhaust, is it absolutely necessary to install the Arrow 'tune'?
    3. Will the Dealer Tool validate an Arrow Tune? will it validate ANY tune/map?
    4. Is there anything to be gained by using a std. TIGER tune with an Arrow Exhaust?

any additional comments from the gallery are welcome as well.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good shop tech will upload the latest tune of whatever fits your bike's parameters, with each service.

The Arrow tune is known to be richer. In what areas and to what extent? I have no idea. I had the Arrow tune in my Daytona, with a different company's slip-on, and the dyno sniffer showed the fueling to be nearly perfect. Is it that close on the 800? I have no idea.

I can't help you, on the rest.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You only need to load a new map if you're not happy with the one it's running. I don't think DealerTool does maps. You need a different cable, DealerTools is proprietary, get the one listed. Then download TuneECU, it's free and comes with good documentation. You can read your existing map, save it and then load a new map if that's what you want. You can also compare maps which is what you may have to do to figure out exactly what map you're running.

A motor has 3 parts that you're concerned with when talking maps. Intake, fueling, exhaust. They all work together and they all affect each other. If you install a freer flowing exhaust but don't also install a better breathing intake (new filter, opening air box etc.), then all you're doing is making more noise. But if you install the freer flowing exhaust, along with the intake mods to allow more air in, then you also need to adjust your fueling by adding more fuel to keep your fuel/air ratio where it should be. That's why you may need a new map.

If you haven't touched the intake, and I've read a lot of guys going back to the stock map with the Arrow, then there's no harm in trying the stock map. Triumph had released about 6 map updates and they all got a little bit better with the latest that I was running working very well, totally stock bike. They just update it to get rid of rough running, stalling, etc.

I'd recommend getting a cable and start playing with TuneECU.
  19. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    Thanks bross-
    I triggered the Tigger cable this morning.
    m1.
  20. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Motovan is heading back to Baja in a week and the inventory of bikes and riders will have a 50% change. Hobbes is going South, way South.