The "ADVersys 650" aka another gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Lawman_745, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Lawman_745

Lawman_745 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a long time ago, I converted a 97 CBR600 to a "dualsport". It was fun, ridiculously fast, and completely stupid. I ended up selling it and regretted it ever since.

Fast forward to earlier this year. Life had settled down, and I was in the market for an adventure bike. I had my XR650R for dualsport rides, my GPX 450 for racing and hardcore dualsporting, but was wanting something more road friendly that could still do the occasional trail. Low and behold, I stumbled onto JDRocks gravel runner threads. The Versys 650 definitely fit the bill when it came to price and capability. I started searching for one, and wouldn't you know it? JD had one for sale in the classifieds!

So I took a short trip over to his place and picked it up

received_3819140874776088.jpeg
    She was bone stock with alot of highway miles. After getting it legal and riding it for a bit, I started modifying it to do some more off-road stuff.
    IMG_20210309_180811_998.jpg IMG_20210311_143256_915.jpg

Put a Kenda big block rear on, and a Vee Rubber VM33 front. Also raised the front fender and mad a new brake line for the master cylinder to left side caliper. So far, it does most of what I want it to. Next step is a front fork swap, and spoked wheels. Stay tuned!
    Pezz_gs, 16VGTIDave, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  2. Lawman_745

Oddometer:

Here's a video of me wrestling it on a scouting run for our clubs upcoming Dual Sport Ride.
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great edit , thanks and enjoy it brother ! Your respect for the weight and traction , and skills, makes for quite the adventure :-)
    Lawman_745 likes this.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    if you like your ADVversys now, just wait until you get a suspension under the bike, the change in capability is pretty dramatic. since you have the tools and skills, there are all kinds of fork/wheel swaps available to you. get that EX650 swingarm on there before you break the OEM.
    Lawman_745 likes this.
  5. Lawman_745

Oddometer:
    Finally got some free time to start working on this thing. Trying to figure out the next steps in the build. I picked a complete front end from a Drz 400 a few weeks back. It has the front wheel, brakes, triple clamps, ect. From my research, the DRZ and Versys have different sized steering bearings. Stem height appears to be extremely close between the two. I'm considering making some tapered spacers to use the Versys bearings on the DRZ triple clamps. My stock Versys top clamp is slightly mangled after a crash a few months back. Going this route will allow me to have a bolt on front end with much more travel and a 21" front wheel.

I also need to find what cush drive 18" rear wheel is a close fit. I think I remereading back in the other gravel runner threads that a tiger 800 rear wheel is close. Pics to follow soon.
    Ozarkroadrunner and 16VGTIDave like this.
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a KTM 640 Adventure rear wheelon mine. It was a pretty easy swap.
  7. Lawman_745

Oddometer:

Last ride on the Versys before it goes under the knife.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    considerations when using the entire front end from a dirt bike type moto. narrow hub spoke wheels like the DRZ and most others means that the clamp centers are much narrower than the OEM Versys clamps. a new steering stop is required to prevent the fork tubes front contacting the frame and the clamps from contacting the tank. reduced steering angle can also be a problem for some riders, but not all.

you also need to have a good grasp of how the front selected is going to affect the bike geometry, maybe a little, maybe a lot, maybe not at all. any front end can be made to fit, but still not make it a good choice.