The Advrider Baja 500 Caper

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by neduro, Jun 6, 2005.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is going to be an epic report, because the tale will be told from so many sides. This was a triumph of advrider spirit, in which a whole bunch of people who know each other mostly by 0's and 1's came together and made something magic happen. Before I get any further, let me start with the most heartfelt thanks I can. And in the end, my story is probably one of the most boring.

But it's the only one I'm equipped to tell, and it can only start in one place. It is that moment immediately before the start, when the person in front of me has left the line, and it’s my turn to pull forward and wait for the flag to drop.

Here's what I saw: every eye, as far as I can see, is focused on me. The main street of a good sized city is closed down so that I can race down it on a motorcycle, there are beautiful women in bikinis smiling at me, Sal Fish is patting me on the back… this is the moment that everything has been building to for months, the moment in which the realization of what I am about to do is most intense, the moment when all the doubt and fear and excitement boil over… and before I can comprehend it all, before I can come to grips with it, the flag drops, and I let the clutch out.

And then there is sudden clarity. Everything drops away as I remember that I know how to ride a motorcycle, and that riding is all I have to do. Like eating an elephant, the secret is to just take it one little bit at a time, to remember that no one, not even Johnny Campbell (Mouse McCoy?) himself, can ride 500 miles in a single moment. We all just take it a foot at a time, and play the hand we’re dealt. And I’m off and the doubt and fear are gone and all that remains is the trail ahead.

This weekend was an adventure, in the truest sense of the word, for everyone involved, and it was my pleasure and privilege to spend time with some really cool people from this site. And every single one of us has some great stories to share- hopefully, we can get them all in this thread. Putting them in order would be impossible, so please just hop in and tell your story as you have time.

More soon...

...Posted from a ramada parking lot in Gallup, NM... home in about 6 hours...
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What a trip and experience. It was great to meet some new faces and see old acquaintances as well.. :freaky

Thanks again for the ride Ned.

[​IMG]
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm upset that I didn't get down... Damn life!

M
  4. neduro

Oddometer:
    Abduction is so, like, last summer, Ant. Try to keep up. My victims fly to me now. :lol3

I started a thread over in ride reports. I think it's worth getting all these stories pulled together- the net effect should be pretty awesome. So many perspectives on such a fun day.
  5. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I'll chime in later.

Much later....

I have to hear more of the 1st-person "behind the bars" POV story! I was stoked to be able to get into town & say hi before having to split again ... but that's another story ... the context I met Sal in was vastly different than yours :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Steelhead

Steelhead It's all good

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Ned. He's still 4-5 hours from home so hang in there awhile longer. :freaky
  7. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Crap, does this mean we can't pronounce Ned's last name as "Sissy" anymore? :lol3

Jon
  8. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:

This is gonna be good!
  9. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :ricky

10. neduro

Oddometer:
    Or more. We ran out of steam in Trinidad and slept from 3-6 or so. Now finished unpacking, and then heading to work.

Arch- wherever it winds up is great with me. Seems like maybe my thread from ride reports should be merged into this one, to keep posts in order... I started the thread over there, because my ride was only one of many, and believe me, they all have healthy components of adventure. :evil

At this point, you've probably got better judgment than I do. I'm happy with whatever you come up with, although I think it would be fun to get everything together.

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to be offline most of today as I nap, get back to w*rk, and so on.
  11. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk looking forward to the story!!!
  12. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Ned, congratulations!!!

You earned the official Three Thumbs Up Award!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Even your pit crew says so:
    [​IMG]
  13. beach comber

beach comber Apprentice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great race Ned congrats!

As for the rest of the Advrider pit crew at el coyote, it was truly a pleasure to meet all of you and look forward to the next ADVENTURE!!
  14. jenduro

jenduro sister and spectator

Oddometer:
    just a quick note to the ADVrider crew to say thanks from all neduro's family for such good support and news. was thrilled to log in sunday morning around 6am and find out the race results. y'all didn't disappoint. best wishes to you all from his sister, jen
  15. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:

Sister Jen...you should come on down next time :D ; it looks like brother Ned may be at this "again" and he would make you very proud..... :D

Now, I may sound a bit presumptive in my comment....but I just can't imagine anyone who does as well as he did the first time...not doing it again...
    he makes it look so easy...I almost think I could still do it....then I look in the mirror...and sigh..... :cry ...cause those days are over....but I can still help someone else....have a ball.....

One of the faithful......
  16. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone but me think that it looks like Sal's thumb is reaching for the joy buzzer? :thumb
  17. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    :d
  18. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!

How far was this into the course...?

Little anxious to get back to the course...?

[​IMG]
  19. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was Coyote 2, about RM 245, so a bit more than 1/2 way.
  20. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:

That was at the coyote pit and he rides like he lives - hard and fast...
    (or at least that's what I heard him tell one of the Tecate girls)