The #ADVshit Figure It Out South Florida weekend Feb 8-10 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Downeyman, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Downeyman

Downeyman Saddle up bitches, let's ride!

Oddometer:
    Since the 2019 Starbright ADV Winter Rally has been officially cancelled or postponed until further notice due to organizer's having un-rescheduleable (woa!) work responsibilities and/or injuries and some of us had already saved the dates for it, I went ahead and reserved sites 3, 4 and 5 at Dinner Island Hammock campground for Feb 8-10 for us to share. This way, those who want to come for a BYOB and BYOF weekend of campfire BS stories and repeat last year's ride will have a place to stay.

Dinner Island Ranch WMA hammock campgroud: https://goo.gl/maps/iQxHpZ6n6KG2

Maybe I'm the only one cooking a single hot dog over the fire and drinking alone like some kind of homeless alcoholic or maybe a couple of guys show up and we get weird. Maybe a bunch of people show up and we have a legit shit show. Who knows! If this gains any traction then others can reserve more sites.

If you want to reserve another site because you smell bad and are embarrassed to sleep within 15’ of another tent then go here:

https://myfwc.com/recreation/lead/dinner-island/camping/

Click on Hammock camping, select Feb 8-10 and the site number. Then it will show availability for that site. Its free but there is no amenities other than a glorified outhouse. There is no electricity or running water here. It’s #ADVshit , figure it out. Again, I already booked 3 sites for us to share. No need to book more unless this has any significant attendance but this thread should give us an idea and we can go from there.

Immokalee is the closest town (22mls) where you can get supplies. Load up with fuel, ice, food, snacks and whatever else on your way to camp or set up your tent and then head back to town. It’s an #ADVshit thing, figure it out.

We will reuse the routes that Josh set up last year through Dinner Island, Okaloacoochee Slough and Spirit-of-the-Wild, maybe go down to Janes Scenic Hwy. Big bike friendly easy stuff so we won’t have designated leader and tail unless it’s necessary. Hell, there was a scooter one year and last year we had a Ural with a side car as well as a Harley Davidson Street Glide. I'm not sure how well the Harley did, it may have been an insurance job for all I know... But that’s none of my business.

You will need to feed $2-3 to the iron ranger so have some singles with you.

I promise to wear my Starbright hat in support of the OG event since I really like Greg and Josh and what they have done the last couple of years but the show must go on and hell, they might show up anyways.

Again, this is a non-sponsored event. There will be no chase truck, raffles, giveaways, support animals or adult supervision. You are responsible for your own food and drink, tire irons, toilet paper, air pressure, sun screen, windex, USB cables or whatever else you need to make it through a weekend with your buddies and your motorcycle. It’s #ADVshit, figure it out. I’m sure you won’t be left to die alone in the dirt either because people who attend these things are usually cool but don’t abuse it. We are just hanging out grinding dirt/dust in our teeth together.

Who’s with me?!?!
  2. BUBAGS

BUBAGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sure will try as long as I can get work stuff to slow down and locate my gear in my moving boxes. Not sure which one will be harder...I hope to see you there
    Gone4Good likes this.
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm. 164 miles from my place, and nuthin’ on my calendar that weekend. Lemme see...
    Downeyman likes this.
  4. Puttering

Puttering DR650

Oddometer:
    I would definitely be in for this if I hadn't move to GA. Not enough time off at the new job to do any FL rides.
    WILL MISS YOU GUYS!
    have a blast.
    Don't forget, they allow RVs
    Downeyman likes this.
  5. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, man...I rode in this rally the year that dude did the event on the scooter. I think it was 2016.

I was just surfing around looking for something to do in February (dual-sport-wise) so you can count me IN on whatever the plans are.

Bill
    Downeyman likes this.
  6. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    99% In!
    Downeyman likes this.
  7. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    99.9% in. Just not sure which bike to bring. Honda AT or Royal Enfield c500?
    Downeyman likes this.
  8. ItllProbablyBeOk

ItllProbablyBeOk n00b

Oddometer:
    Depending on if I can get the time off work next weekend, count me in.
  9. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those that are bringing RVs, the 10 Hammock RV Sites are full over the weekend. There are still RV Sites in the Kowechobe Area that is right across the dirt road from Hammock (and the bathroom!). I have an 8x5 enclosed trailer that I use as a toy hauler, so I reserved Site No. 17 in Kowechobe from Thursday night to Sunday.

Also, shared the event in DixieDualSport this morning for some more exposure.
    Downeyman likes this.
  10. seasalt

seasalt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any of the old routes available? Interested in the dirty parts
  11. Moto. Chipmunk

Moto. Chipmunk n00b

Oddometer:
    What time and location for the Saturday ride?
  12. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I made a tentative reservation a few days ago for Hammock Camp site 12 (tent only) Friday and Saturday. Turns out I need to move my trailer to get my driveway done that weekend, and also made a reservation on the Kowechobe Camp, site 18.

Since I can only be in one place at the time, I'm happy to give up site 12 to anyone that wants it. Planning on getting there Friday afternoon with the toy hauler and Olive.
    Downeyman likes this.
  13. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    I do have the gpx files that Josh set up for last year, which were probably the same from the year before that as well. I also have them up on my Rever in case navigating with your phone is your only option. It's easy stuff since it's all the dirt sections are either a loop or a 1 way in and out so you really cant get lost and there is quite a bit of asphalt connecting it all.
    The dirt sections are:
    Okaloacoochee Slough
    Spirit-of-the-Wild
    Janes Scenic Hwy
    Tuner River Road off 41 and then off to 29

I don't know if The Squares in the Picayune Strand is accessible from Collier Blvd / Sabal Palm Road from the West o from Everglades Blvd from the North anymore. I know for a fact there is a locked gate at the end of Jance Scenic into the Squares. I also know they were flooding The Squares and alot of that is now gone. I have no been able to to a pre-ride and already know i wont be able to do so this weekend either. Any volunteers?
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    Saturday ride will depart from the Dinner Island campgroud Saturday morning probably around 9-9:30-ish. It's going to depend on how motivated people are to get rounded up and moving. The issue might be breakfast. Since we don't have a caterer or a nearby spot to get breakfast, people will need to either cook their own breakfast or go hungry and pass out somewhere for the voltures to eat. The slogan fits very well for breakfast. It's ADVshit, so figure it out.
    In other works, I don't know when we are leaving. If you are planing on showing up saturday morning, try to be there by 9. If not, you can get the gps track ahead of time and simply catch up.
  15. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    I just checked and the ADA site is the only one left. For what I understand, It's ok to reserve those if they are the last one available. Think handicap bathroom, not handicap parking spot. This seems to be getting a little more attention than i anticipated, which is great, but someone should consider reserving it in case we don't all fit in the 3 sites I got plus #12 from trekkerharry.
  16. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I recall, that Hammock Area is really tight back in there; great for tent camping, not so much RV....great place for the fire pit. There are still around 14 sites left, right across the road in the Kowechobe Area which is essentially a wide open field. All those sites are wide open RV or tent. I'm sure folks with one of those sites, like me, would accommodate another RV or some tents. I'm in #17. If we managed our space I don't see how we could run out. Yes, people do need to register online.

On the ride, there will prolly be fewer on Friday and Sunday. You may be able to pull off one group on those days. However, either way, I'd be glad to help out and lead a group if you needed to split everyone up. I only rode this rally once, but I can follow a GPS track or roll chart.

I'm psyched! This is gonna be fun. Thank you Downeyman for taking the lead and making it happen.
    Downeyman and Dan Diego like this.
  17. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    So wife was worried i didn't love her anyone more but i cleared that up so I'm in. Trying to get there on Friday afternoon. Please ask the bartender to have my rum punch ready.
    Downeyman likes this.
  18. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    I think most will arrive Friday afternoon. I may try to preride the entrances into the squares on my way there.
    The bartender just got his 30 day chip so he’s out. It’s all pannier pantry and turn a saddle-bags into a saddle-bar from here on out.
    Gone4Good and trekkerharry like this.
  19. ItllProbablyBeOk

ItllProbablyBeOk n00b

Oddometer:
    Would you mind sharing those files or a link to your Rever? I may be riding through that area this weekend so I could take a quick peek at the conditions.
  20. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    PM me your email address and I’ll send them to you. You can ask find me in Rever as Downeyman. Look under the planned rides and find the 4 “Startron ADV challenge 18” sections.