The #ADVshit Figure It Out South Florida weekend Feb 8-10 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Downeyman, Jan 28, 2019.

1. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m bringing a grill with 20# propane tank.Ninty dollar Wally style,not webber. lol
  2. Downeyman

Downeyman Saddle up bitches, let's ride!

Oddometer:
    That’s fantastic. Thank you! I guess everyone can bring something to cook and do it themselves like at the Polar Bear?
  3. Josh Leyburn

Josh Leyburn Shepherd of Cats

Oddometer:
    @Downeyman
    Its awesome that you are putting this together! last year I spoke to a ranger and he said that the Everglades (North) and Sabal Palm (West) entrances were to be the long term access points for Picayune Strand (the squares).
    If you are feeling frogy or have some rain before the ride work in Oil Well Grade Rd, its a wide sandy rd that runs between 846 and 858 on the west side of Ave Maria. Wish I could join you, have a blast.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm bringing a camera and looking for riders with bikes to pose on Saturday after the ride. Homework for me, free picture(s) for you!
  5. DaBearsMama

DaBearsMama Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can't come weekend of 8-10 as hubby is on call. SO we took the bikes and snagged site 4 at Hammock camp this past Saturday. We rode Dinner Island - all good. Then we headed to Okaloacoochee.

Wild Cow Grade was open only part way up. There is a chain across WCG to the primitive camp in the back. We went around to the right through the people poles. Both bikes loaded with bags & boxes had no problem getting through. They "improved with gravel" some sections (ruined the fun road.) There was no access to 4-Sections Rd and no access to Mustang Loop either. Wild Cow-Patterson Crossover & Patterson Rd were open & had some new gravel, good condition. Did not ride Keri-Patterson Crossover or Keri-Tower Rds.

Twin Mills & Oil Well Pad were open & good. Sic Island Rd & the loop were open and really nice. North Loop-West was open and by far the most fun. We went as far as the split and fence line at the far end where the WMA area is (There were some puddles along the way but nothing bad)
    Daylight was running out so we skipped Spirit of the Wild.

20190203_170401.jpg

Attached Files:

trekkerharry and YesRush like this.
  6. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the ride report! I compared it to the tracks I have from last year and might make some changes on the spot that day and do some of the trails on the north side of the street that are not on the gps tracks I have.
  7. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    The “main” day of riding is Saturday where we will ride as much of the Okaloacoochee as possible, Spirit of the Wild and if time allows Turner River road and Jane scenic hwy.

Sunday is a long route that goes through the Picayunee strand (the squares), and down Tamiami trails, Loop road and the levy road parallel to Tamiami trail as closed gates allow. If we don’t go south on Saturday might as well do janes a scenic and turner river then.

I will leave Miami Friday early and pre-run as must of this as possible. Anybody interested in meeting up that morning is welcome to.
    Anybody familiar with WhatsApp can let me know and I will creat a chat group where I can share my love location in case someone wants to intercept.
    I will also be tracking on Rever so you can see my location there as well.

I don’t have an actual GPS or the software to edit gpx files. Some of you have contacted me asking me for the files and I will email what I have in the next day or two. I’m trying to give myself some time in case I make some changes to the routs on Rever.
  8. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Basecamp to edit .gpx tracks. Not the most intuitive navigation software, but once over the learning curve it's works pretty well for me.
    trekkerharry likes this.
  9. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried Basecamp - XRWilly said it right!

I've been using Tyre To Travel for years. very user friendly with icons and works off google maps and also off Google Earth. There is a free version (I use) and a paid version www.tyretotravel.com . Zoom in to your area, double click for markers and pan to the next are until you're done. Then export to your gps. Let's you fine tune in the options dialog box.

I'm planning on arriving at camp Friday around noon to set up and explore dinner island.
  10. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    Kowechobe sites 8, 9, 11-16 and 19 are available right now.
  11. Puttering

Puttering DR650

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190205-200555_Maps.jpg
    Last year I went on my own through this section. Josh said it is normally closed to traffic. Ths loop on the sound end appeared to have been used for a tram ride. It's all gravel with some big chunks sticking out.
    Downeyman likes this.
  12. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    That is Sic island Rd. DaBearsMamma just rode that last weekend and said it was open and nice. We are going to try it :)
  13. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FDA website only shows one notice about the Okaloacoockee Slough SF. I tried calling the number, but so far no answer...
    upload_2019-2-6_7-57-51.png
  14. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone out there?
  15. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    Anybody leaving from Miami or Fort Laurderdae tomorrow’s morning? I’ll be at Dades corners around 9-10am. Feel free to call or preferably text me at seven eight six 210 2383.
  16. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m picking up fire wood tomorrow in route.Got propane for the grilled rabbits if we catch any!
    Been to busy to check Dixie sight,any followers?
  17. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    I'm all loaded up. Leaving Miami around 1pm. I have some firewood and will grab a bag of ice. Do we have a headcount? 20190208_063951.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    Old Tamiami Trail and a gator making a hasty exit off Loop Rod

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    Today we ride. 20190209_103349.jpg 20190209_103316.jpg 20190209_103300.jpg
    DaBearsMama and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    We were out riding Spirit of the Wild yesterday and Okaloochee Slough, and saw two bikes. Must have been some of you. We got a late start so did not swing by Dinner Island. This was our first break from The Squares in quite some time.

We'd give you a "tour" of The Squares, but it would cost you...... GOPR0471~2.JPG
    Downeyman and massholejim like this.