The #ADVshit Figure It Out South Florida weekend Feb 8-10 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Downeyman, Jan 28, 2019.

1. massholejim

massholejim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Josh has been with me to the squares Kyle , you should have met them at diner ranch they eat like Vikings ,been telling you for three years to go.
  2. Downeyman

Downeyman Saddle up bitches, let's ride!

Oddometer:
    We had a group of 9 bikes. We only saw a single guy on a husky going opposite direction.
  3. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a great weekend of riding Dinner Island and Ocloacoochee. this must have been the biggest GS assembly to go through one of the longest water holes I've ever seen. Like a regular conga line...

A big thanks to Downeyman for organizing and leading this ride on such short notice. Also, thanks to Josh for sharing the gpx file and a special thanks to Greg for driving all the way out to the camp with some food and drink. Great People all around!

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics and vids.
    Gone4Good and Downeyman like this.
  4. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic weekend we had. Thank you to the 9 brave souls that showed up and followed me around. We did very little sand, the occasional patch of gravel and plenty of hard pack with a few lagoon crossings... we couldn’t have asked for better weather. We shall do this again soon!

Attached Files:

5. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    A few pictures from yesterday

Attached Files:

6. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    One of the water crossings

Attached Files:

7. Downeyman

Oddometer:
    No lifeguard on duty.
    This one went on for ever... A while in the middle kept messing with some of the riders but everybody made it though.

Attached Files:

8. Puttering

Puttering DR650

Oddometer:
    Looked like a blast. Did you see any startron stickers left on polls and signs from last year?
  9. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Downey for taking the lead to organize the event and then taking the trail lead. Great job! This was the second time that I did this ride (first time in 2016 iirc; Year of the Junky Scooter). The one water crossing (actually a rutted flooded Florida forest road) captured in most photos ^^ was in the Ok Slough and was the second longest water crossing in over four decades of off road and dual sport. It was on a short loop (called Mustang iirc) where, shortly around the bend we ran into an impassable section and were forced to turn back and go through the thing again the other way. That's why some of the photos show a bend one way and some the other. When I got home last night, Downey had left me some photos on my email (Thank you Sir!) and one was of me and my KLX250 in the water crossing with a big splash. It looks like a professional photo! I attached it; hope it attaches. Oh, while I have no doubt the guy on the scooter would have attempted that water crossing, he wouldn't have made it...and we'd have sat there working on his wiring for two hours just like in 2016. Anyway, I hung around Dinner Island Ranch WMA (not part of the Saturday ride track) on Sunday and recorded the entire trail system (45 miles) for a blog I'm planning involving mapping some of the dual-sport friendly WMAs. Not exactly food for the dual-sportist's soul, but a real good platform to work out some ideas for my blog. From there I rolled down to the Monument Lake and set up camp for some fishing in the lake and the canals along the Tamiami Trail (US41). Unlike the weekend, the weather was rough...rainy and windy...but I caught some good stuff. Overall, awesome weekend. It's nice to be retired.
    IMG_6404.JPG
  10. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Downeyman for setting this all up. This was by far the best riding closest to Miami and I certainly learned plenty from the other more experienced riders. The return trip home was a "sweet" (shhh) ride blasting along those dirt roads. Sign me up for next year bitches.