The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Redclayrider likes this.
  2. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking Dillo, turns out with the excellent customer service, Brooks at 12oClock is putting together something for me. Even he was surprised by my findings as it appears that the relay for the DCT bikes, as strange as it seems, is different then the standard transmission. 12oClock sent me pictures of what the other turn flasher relay looks like and it’s not at all what mine looks like. The bikes were talking about are 2016+2017 AT (USA models without OEM LED turn signals). Here’s some photos......

2016 AT Standard......

A0B67B20-D0E6-4C55-96C0-E4C46B068B17.jpeg

DCT AT turn signal relay......

D15AA778-5F15-4418-BA09-330D9EA32BC2.jpeg

12oClock Labs is putting together a kit for me to send out today so hopefully I’ll get this finished and report back my findings. Kit picture here........

3D7250FC-E5D5-4EE2-A085-6E576FE4807E.jpeg

So far I’ve got the front and rear turn signals installed, not as straight forward as it appears, all items in place aside from the last two pieces (12oClock adapter) and it’s a heck of a light brighter then the old incandescent bulbs (as to be expected). Anyway, the fronts are like fog lights......:lol3

991BABA7-ECD2-4742-8F2C-71A264342917.jpeg
    NSFW, DKCJ, Nihon Newbie and 3 others like this.
  3. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good Job! I've been following this install privately and my oh my it's a lot of messing around! Sure like the results though!
    Redclayrider likes this.
  4. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    If it all goes back together and I don’t have enough spare parts left over to build an old school mini bike then I’ll be happy.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  5. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Oh heck, I forgot to take pictures :fpalm

I'll try to remember to take them tonight
  6. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put a sw motec skid plate on with an alt rider lower crashbar? I wonder if they are compatible
  7. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I had another thought,
    I am currently running the Protaper contour 7/8 ATV High bars on my Vstrom. If anyone wanted a bar that was about the same height as the Protaper Adventure bar but with less sweep and rise, the Protaper ATV High bars would be a pretty good fit. Since they also make them in 1-1/8 I may lean that direction since I have been running them without any numbness or shoulder problems.

Has anyone put the Adventure HI bend bars on an ATAS and if so what were your results? I am currently torn between these two options..

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG
  8. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing !
  9. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I'd call both and ask. I've been going through the same mix-match process and sometimes the manufacturers already know, but don't advertise, cross-compatibility.
  10. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Looking at pictures online, I think it would work. Might get a bit close on the upper wing part of the plate, but there doesn't look to be conflicts in mounting points or any major obstructions.... Worst case may be a little trim, but I'd probably try it if that's the direction I was going.

We need a thread ... A knowledge base of known compatibilites. I struggled with it in my research.
  11. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does work. There's some angle grinding on the left rear side of the skid plate. I just ran out to the garage and took this pic...
    I got the skid plate on as close as i could, then did an awkward template line with my daughter's purple marker with my left hand, did a couple cuts with the grinder (gee i only lost control once and customized the motech badge), filed the edges, and slapped the bashplate back on.
    IMG_3723.jpg
  12. PistolPetey

Oddometer:
  13. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I like this site, they have a lot of great options.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-terminals.html

-Barron
  14. MaxRu

MaxRu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello gents,
    Most are familiar with the turbulence that comes through the fork tunnel and the fork shield solution. Well, here is my take on the fork shield design:

899EB35C-2A06-4968-B9A8-85BEF96184F6.jpeg
    985661D3-D4A9-4166-81E0-D840FC876359.jpeg
    CFC2B4E2-9333-4AF7-8C8F-4A2EF254CEBF.jpeg
    And the final product ;)

AA658BE7-AC88-4A40-8661-505FDCD8B9C8.jpeg

And besides looking good, it also works quite nicely.

Attached Files:

Nemesis74, NSFW, 97707 and 13 others like this.
  15. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Elegant design, far nicer than any of the other designs that I have seen!

Did you vacuum form those? I have been thinking about doing something similar but haven't had the time to attempt it yet.
  16. MaxRu

MaxRu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are 3D printed (SLS Nylon). Since they have a couple of threaded inserts for a more secure fit, I didn't do the vacuum forming. I have 3D scanned the original panel and made the surfaces to mate perfectly, so it can also be potentially used with only double sided tape. If there will be some non commercial interest, I can provide CAD files through PM.
  17. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys have a suspension tuning guide or quick sheet for tuning the OEM 2016 twin suspension? I want to fix mine (squishy, but harsh and unbalanced), but I'm not sure where to start what exactly does what and have spent a good amount of time looking for some good solid user info on this with no good results.

-Barron
  18. PistolPetey

Oddometer:
    I think you came to the right place: look up inmate @Motociclo . He’s got a few threads dedicated to OEM suspension improvements.
    Motociclo likes this.
  19. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out, thanks.

-Barron
  20. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    WOW! you've done a LOT of work on these, I was looking to properly adjust vs. tune though, I should have been more clear. I bought my bike in Japan (where I live) and can't read Japanese so even a decent manual would be helpful. The issue I have is that I have lots of dive in the front, when I push on the seat the back drops much faster than the front, so I know I need to stiffen the rear and adjust the rebound on the front, what I don't know is what or where the proper adjustment is and I would prefer not to make gross adjustments in order to figure it out. By the way, thank you for posting all of the information you have that is a very valuable resource!

-Barron
    Junglejeff1 likes this.