The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on your routes/adventures, may be worth just building a decent* tool kit... I found it interesting to do the research and fun to build it. And it gives a great sense of peace when riding.
    * = whatever you feel is worth the weight and cost... versus the risk of a break-down or failure and the wait and cost.
    Motociclo likes this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Meandered for an hour or so on the new scoot. No particular destination. Went to Cars N Coffee in Frisco but it was mostly over. There was a lovely 1970s BMW M1 present.

I normally ride with ear plugs in; don't want to lose my hearing. Took em out for the last leg, going home. It sounds glorious.

Bloody marvelous riding with no destination, no purpose in mind.
  3. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    A homemade chin mount for a Scorpion EXO AT950. Camera is a Go Pro 6 black. With this mount the chin bar can still be flipped up. The chin mount is attached to the chin bar with heavy duty Velcro and can be taken off if so desired.
    Video;

Pictures;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took it on a 4-5 hour ride today. Camera didn't fall off or moved. The mount is a piece of Stainless Steel cut into to a wide V shape to fit the chin bar. I like the view point better than mounting the Go Pro on top or side of the helmet. I know other on here who wear the same type of helmet and have asked about a mount on the chin bar so I hope this helps. PM me if you want more information.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    So..... it's been a long winter here. The snowbanks on the edge of my driveway are still 4 feet high and I haven't seen my lawn since last October.

Anyway... itching to ride but still too much snow.

So, I normally service all of my bikes in the fall, so they are ready to go at the first hint of spring. I also keep a log book with a page for each piece of equipment I have, so I can track oil changes, tire life, and other maintenance.

So I am puttering around the garage today and check my log book. TTR-125 oil/filter changed in November. TW200 oil/filter changed in November. KTM 640, same thing.

Africa Twin....oil/filter changed in August (which was before my big Colorado trip), but no entry for November.

Well heck! I now have something fun to do while waiting for the snow to melt.

I warm up the bike, load it on the lift, crank it up in the air, and drop the skid plate.

I pull the first drain plug and......gee.... that oil looks awful clean. Ummm...did I just mess up?

I check the filter, and sure enough, sparkly brand new!

Well, I just wasted 4 litres of high end Honda oil!

:baldy
  5. MaxRu

MaxRu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pm me if interested in CAD file. These are not for sale, so 3D printer is your friend ;)
  6. MaxRu

MaxRu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM me if you’d like a CAD file for personal use. You can print them (Shapeways or similar) or possibly vacuum mild.
    slowlyrider likes this.
  7. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just think of it as doing a good job rinsing all of that nasty old oil out of the engine. :lol2
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing exactly this for my KLX400R. I changed tires, rejetted and did the valve inspection noting which tools were needed, then scrounged up spare tools, visited HF and ordered from Amazon to have a complete set on the bike for not much money.

Hm, pour it back in? Save it for later? Or did you mix it with other fluids to be discarded?
    Amphib likes this.
  9. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    My catch basin is full of all sorts of nasty...20 years of stuff like old oil, metal shavings, dead bugs, sawdust, etc.....no pouring that back into the bike!
  10. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m tossing up between purchasing the B&B maxi or mini rear rack. Any owners out there with these racks that can comment on their satisfaction or not with these racks?
    I don’t want to overload beyond the 10kg limit, but do want enough room to strap on a lightly packed bag or possibly a Rotopax
  11. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Would anyone have the torque specs for the bar riser nuts and bar clamp allen caps screws handy?
    I got the first Easter present in the mail today!
  12. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bottom nuts
    TORQUE:39 N·m (4.0 kgf·m, 29 lbf·ft)
    Top Allen bolts:
    Tighten the front bolts first, then tighten the rear bolts to
    the specified torque.
    TORQUE:32 N·m (3.3 kgf·m, 24 lbf·ft)

Install the caps [5].
    1litre likes this.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check either aftrica twin forums,they have a manual.download.
  14. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Moto. I read the thread on broken racks and I’m now a bit worried about that.
  15. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir!
  16. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what was in the Easter Egg?
  17. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Will post a few pics after I get out of bed and take the dogs for their Tim Hortons morning constitutional!
  18. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a measurement width across the rear grab handles on the base model? Trying to do a comparison to the ATAS rear rack for fitment of a Mosko Reckless 80.
  19. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    460mm at their widest point, which is farthest forward from the tail.
    deadzed likes this.
  20. pushboy

pushboy Infrequent Poster

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping someone can chime in and help me -- I've got a 2017 AT and I'm trying to install the SW-Motech Evo side racks, but am having some trouble with the passenger pegs. The instructions indicate removing them to install the rack mount bracket - but there is nothing about putting them back on, and they don't really fit right when I try various combos of the fasteners provided. I've searched around online and seen some bikes with the rack with factory pass pegs retained, and some without. I'm wondering if anyone else ran across this -- and how they over came it.
    Thanks -