The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    460mm at their widest point, which is farthest forward from the tail.
    deadzed likes this.
  2. pushboy

pushboy Infrequent Poster

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping someone can chime in and help me -- I've got a 2017 AT and I'm trying to install the SW-Motech Evo side racks, but am having some trouble with the passenger pegs. The instructions indicate removing them to install the rack mount bracket - but there is nothing about putting them back on, and they don't really fit right when I try various combos of the fasteners provided. I've searched around online and seen some bikes with the rack with factory pass pegs retained, and some without. I'm wondering if anyone else ran across this -- and how they over came it.
    Thanks -
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably just swapped (L/R) or flipped the brackets.
    Correct position of the quick connect hole is towards the rear and outward, on each side.
    Hope that helps.
  4. pushboy

pushboy Infrequent Poster

Oddometer:
    Ah -- thank you. Sometimes I can't believe I describe myself as "mechanically inclined"...
    yokesman likes this.
  5. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    Help! need a part number for CLUTCH OIL FILTER. CRF1000D 2016 Africa Twin with DCT
    I have ordered these from Honda Genuine Parts but apparently they have the same part number in their system as the engine oil filter. Engine oil filter is screw on canister, Clutch oil filter is a little paper guy.
  6. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the part I got from my Honda dealer:

IMG_20190416_150006.jpg
  7. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    Motorsickle, thanks and I have the same counter top!
  8. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The rack on the Adventure Sports is 406mm, for anyone interested, which is probably no one, since I couldn't find a comparison anywhere.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  9. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    973DE53E-FF65-429E-8D07-E719B56CC075.jpeg
    Well here are the other three as I’ve already installed the Motor Adventure Gear bar risers. A 12oclockLabs Advanced Mini Gauge and a set of foot pegs and a brace from Camel Adv Products.
    PistolPetey likes this.
  10. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Happy Easter! I'm getting myself some rear wheel maintenance parts
    1 06410-MBB-000 DAMPER SET, WHEEL - DAMPER SET, WHEEL
    1 42515-MJP-G60 RING, RR. PULSER - RING, RR. PULSER
    1 42615-MJP-G51 FLANGE SUB-ASSY., FINAL DRIVEN - FLANGE SUB-ASSY., FINAL DRIVEN
    1 45133-MA3-006 BOOT B - BOOT B
    :happay
    misterk and Redclayrider like this.
  11. 97707

97707 Go Long

Oddometer:
  12. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Seat advice needed. The ATAS seat is wider, eh? Any better than the 2017 plain old AT? I like my 2017 AT but not in love with the seat. Slopes forward too much and not quite wide enough in the back. I am thinking Seat Concepts with whom I've had great satisfaction. But their comfort seat looks like a fish pond. I fear it would fill with rain. And I ride in the rain quite a lot.

Now I am thinking the OEM seat for the AS model would be a great solution. And I have a great relationship with my local Honda parts department. I am sure they'd give me a good price on the seat.
  13. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    The ATAS seat is indeed wider and flatter (1" higher on the front). To me it is OK but not great as far as comfort. My stock Vstrom seat was far more comfortable for long distance, off road the ATAS seat is better. I have been eyeing the seat concepts as well. I had an 96' Honda nighthawk with a Corbin seat that looked similar and never had an issue with rain, when the bike was parked the water ran out and it was never an issue when moving.
  14. MWValley

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. I've had a V-Strom for 10 years (still do). I have the stock 1000 seat on a 650 and I think it's very good. No issues even on very long rides. And truthfully I've never done really extensive dirt riding on the Strom so I never had any reason not to like that seat.

I have have had tremendous success with Seat Concepts seats on 2 different DR-Z 400s and now a DR650SE. Turned those bikes from 60 mile range to several hundred mile range before the old backside gave up. Did not restrict their off-road prowess at all. It's true what they say about their foam as well. It's very good. Doesn't feel to your hand or your butt quite like any OEM seat I can recall. And their foam and cover kits are easy to install with a $20 Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler.

I think I'll go find a Honda shop with an ATAS and see if I can sit on it for a while. If that'd do it for me I think I could buy one complete for about $160. But the Seat Concepts comfort seat looks very inviting. Hmmm. Thanks again.
    redneckmech likes this.
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    It begs the question; are the seats interchangable?
  16. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    They are!

I know of ATAS owners whom have switched to the base AT seat to have a lower height.
    neanderthal likes this.
  17. MWValley

Oddometer:
    One more question for the brain trust herein. A local dealership has a new 2016 DCT model on their showroom floor. Obviously they are discounting the price, which is now very attractive.

Is there anything undesirable about the first year of production? I've got a 2017 manual, which I think is swell. I have a buddy who is considering this leftover DCT. Any caveats?

Thanks.
    neanderthal likes this.
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I can add one relevant data point.
    JH2SD0451GK000002 2016 DCT.
    But mine only stayed dormant a few months before I started the engine.
    horseiron1 likes this.
  19. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    I wear a Scorpion 950 flip up helmet. Got to say, like it a lot. I wanted to mount my Go-Pro 6 on the chin bar for a "Rider Point of View" angle. I have a Go-Pro mount on top and side of the helmet but really like the rider view. So I made something out of 1" Aluminum angle. I cut slots in the part of the angle that will go around the bottom and then bent the angle where it follows the chin bar on the face of the helmet. Did a ride with it and got to say, I like it. Yea, you can buy something that does the same thing but considering I have less than $10.00 in it, I am pleased.

Video;

Pictures of the bottom and front/side views;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used that super sticky Vecro to mount the chin bar thingy to the helmet. The camera mount has 2 ball joints that allow you to pivit it 360 degees in all directions so you can get side views or go vertical to get a bit closer to the dash/windscreen.
  20. Reduke

Reduke Red Rider

Oddometer:
    I have both. Maxi looks huge but it’s wider & holds a bag more stable for longer trips. The folded down edges make it easier to tie stuff to it as well. The mini looks better when nothing is on it but pretty useless to tie much to.