The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. AZPete

AZPete n00b

Oddometer:
    Considering the Galfer braided break cables and would like to hear from anyone who is running them. (Primarily interested in the rear break).
    Thanks,
    Pete

P.S., is this the right place for questions like this?
  2. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Hiya Pete,

Yep you got the right place!

I have braided brake lines on the front of my ATAS. They came with the Altrider high fender kit so I can't remember what brand of lines they are. They seem to have slightly better coating than the Galfer lines on my Vstrom although performance is similar.

Both resulted in much better braking feel at the lever, I have not installed them for the rear brake but would likewise expect more firmness and feel at the pedal.

Hope this helps,

Bill
    windowto likes this.
  3. CRIAKLR

CRIAKLR I like pie

Oddometer:
    Sorry.....Late response. I have a 2016 DCT and I love it. With that said, I did replace the entire suspension with less than 1k on the clock.....just cuz I wanted to. So I have not had any of the fork issues that some have experienced. Regarding the DCT.....I can't see myself ever going back to manual on a big ADV bike. The DCT has completely ruined me. I enjoy the manual on my DR, but for the bigger ADV bikes I still believe auto is the future.....It's just too good.

Long-winded way to say.....If he hasn't already, tell your buddy to go buy that 2016.

:beer
    puff, Sailor Jack, misterk and 2 others like this.
  4. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. On the sidewall is written "on tube type rims use a tube" or something like that.
    I think you can only get the 150/70-18 size in the E07+ (plus) type now.
    Be prepared - the Dakar is a very stiff tyre. I run the E10 Dakar up front and the E07+ non-Dakar in back.
  5. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are the brakes supposed to drag on the wheel ever so slightly?
  6. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost all disc brakes drag a hair.No return springs like drum brakes.
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  8. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Yeah bad case of the "don't wannas" going around. Don't want to catch or spread that.

Fortunately, ... not back at work yet. Still recovering from the crash. Should be my last week at home if the injections (pending for Friday!) are successful. My biggest problem is not being able to predict what's going to be a bad day and why? Headache? Backache? Both? Neither? Something else? Nothing?

A good day now, starts with me
    1 sleeping well,
    2 not waking up tired and sore
    3 not having a headache

Although that's happened and then had a surprise visit from back pain. Since 1 hardly ever happens now, it's just a matter of holding out for 2 and 3 to constitute a mostly good day.
    horseiron1 and Redclayrider like this.
  9. neanderthal

Oddometer:

That's a hell of a good price.

I still maintain (I had a 2016 and a 2017, both DCTs) that a 2018 or newer is worth about $1k more. Not only because of the suspension (it's not just the Kashima coating, they've recalibrated it; it's less plush but still compliant.) but there are other very slight enhance/ refinements too. Aurally. Vibrations. Mine seems just a hair more fuel efficient than it's earlier versions. Etc.
  10. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Very stiff is an understatement. I've been changing motorcycle tires at home for about 40 years. I don't think I've seen any more stiff than the Mitas. I've been running them on a V-Strom for a long while. They have to be VERY warm, damn near hot, and well lubed up to change them by hand. In the shop, I put a hair dyer, upside down inside the tire and let it rip for quite a while to heat the tire. I've always wondered what I would do If I got a flat in the woods on a very cold day (on a tube type rim). It would be a bear to lever a cold Mitas Dakar off your rim for a tube change.
  11. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 CRF1000L Africa Twin , WR250F

Oddometer:
    @racer Its a Termignoni full race system (header and silencer)

Its mildy louder at low speeds (deeper) and has a nice growl when you really get on it. Im still using the DB killer insert and likely won't remove it.

Termignoni developed it with Honda (it was actually the first exhaust available for the AT). No tune needed. BUT - Termignoni does offer one via their UpMap plug in tuner that you can change maps via your phone. That would optimize it. I will likely do it later in the year, it runs ~$400.

Tunes are available for a number of different combos. (Stock filters, aftermarket foam filters & k&n style, db killer in , db killer out etc etc)
    Amphib and Nihon Newbie like this.
  12. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 CRF1000L Africa Twin , WR250F

Oddometer:
    Its good that its local. But , I don't think that is a "great" price. Just got my 2017 "left over" manual for $8500

A cycletrader.com search might find some 2016's for less or 2017's in that range.
    neanderthal likes this.
  13. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    I run without a tube......after sealing the spoke holes.
  14. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Did you see that he said 9,999 out the door price? You paid 8500 out the door, TOTAL price for a brand new 2017? The cheapest on CT is a 2018 at 8999, but that's only sticker price. Del Amo said more like 11,299 out the door.
  15. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    If anyone was interested, the lines that came with the AltRider kit are Russell lines. They seem to be really good quality.
    View attachment 1645955

The coating started to peel off of the Galfer lines on my Vstrom after about a year. It doesn't affect function but it doesn't look good either.
    20190422_202924.jpeg
    windowto and Junglejeff1 like this.
  16. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    Tires are like sex. They need heat, lube, and some convincing:D

Heat is the main factor (I don't mean to play it some Barry White to get it in the mood...leave it in the sun before putting it on)
    some lube (that will not stay behind..I use windshield washer),
    and keeping an eye on drop center is key.

You can always get an E07 regular. Its 3 ply so a bit softer side wall than the 4 ply dakars.
    Hopefully @Motociclo will not have to lend me his potato gun to install my motoz!
    Motociclo likes this.
  17. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    ya. With a tubless conversion
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/honda-africa-twin-outex-install/

or if you don't want to go that route, toss a tube in them. A tubless tires will have a slightly stiffer side wall..I think.
    All Mitas E-07s (regular or plus) are now tubless...mitas site is designed by a retarded chimp...so not the easiest thing to dig up.
    https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle--trail--tires/e-07

E07 +. Interestingly they do not make a plus in 21"
    https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle--trail--tires/e-07-plus
  18. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MX1 Canada carries Mitas. Colin's web site is quite understandable. :)
    http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adventure-dual-sport-tires/?page=1
    Chris Birch likes the E12 rear E-13 Rally Stars on his 1090 in recent posts. He's also been running E07+ rear E-13 front combination for longer adventure trips.
    Redclayrider likes this.
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Never tried the E-13. Bought from MX1 many times. Their website is ok. Often times the TL/TT distinction was hard to catch.
    Redclayrider likes this.
  20. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Got the bike serviced yesterday. 1st service. Anyone in the Dallas Ft Worth region: Al Lamb Honda sells a pre paid 3 year maintenance plan for ~$1800. (New or newish Africa Twins. Varies by model.) Considering the 16000 mile service by itself is about $1200 thats a hell of a good deal. It's been 2 weeks and i'm at 1500 miles already. Having done ~24k in one year on both of my previous bikes, i think I have to buy this (pesky income problem from my accident prevents it right now.) In 3 years I could be at 60000 miles. Also gives you priority on days they are busy, oil change every 2000 miles, something about $250 deductible, one dyno day a year, transferable, etc. I'm not affiliated with them.

Certainly if you're a regular rallyer/ Iron Butt rider you should. Check with your local dealer.

Going home at 5 pm-ish from Lewisville? Traffic. Like "hey this reminds me of the 405" traffic. Too cheap to get a toll tag and use the tollway (why I gotta pay to use roads built with public money?) I was stuck on the 121 with the other cheap bastards till I had a "fuck it" moment, and just lane split/ filtered all the way home. No angry horns. Even had a driver consciously make space for me. I think it helps that I don't have a loud pipe...

I remember the heyday right after the AT was released and everyone was praising it and those of us with late delivery dates were green with envy. In 2 months it will be 3 years on the Africa Twin for me. And it's still a fucking fantastic bike. I was just singing it's praises to someone at the gas station yesterday, again, after they asked it was and all that. "It'll do 90% of what any other bike will do, comfortably. Cruiser. Sportsbike. Commuter. Dirt bike. It's just a fantastic all round bike. And mine is an automatic!!!" He said he'd look into it.
    NSFW, misterk, Muddler and 2 others like this.