The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Good for you mate. You and I might be the two with the highest milage on the ATs here in the US.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  2. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    F6AA3E2F-47AD-4894-9E94-36F7B1DCF73D.jpeg I like your comments about fantastic bike Neanderthal. I bought my 2018 manual AT about 4wks ago and absolutely love it :raabia It may not be the most powerful or highest spec bike out there, but I really couldn’t give a shit, it hits my sweet spot. It’s such a nice ride, ergos are great, nice power, nice sound (motor reminds me of my old TDM900), stable, Honda reliability, good price. Its the best bike I’ve ever owned, It’s a keeper!!!
    I’ve had many bikes over the years and all have had compromises that have weighed heavily on my mind, eventually I sell and chase my next “ideal bike”. I just don’t feel like that’s going to happen this time. Now I just need to get the farkles happening!
    puff, Nihon Newbie, Drum Dog and 8 others like this.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I had a whole excel spreadsheet of farkles for my first bike. It went all in.

I bought a throttle lock and soft panniers. That's it. (technically I also bought aux lights but I hardly ride at night and since I haven't installed them yet, ...) I've been busy enjoying my bike, and since I live in a state where I can ride year round, I haven't had time to stop and farkle it in anticipation of next season.

Fantastic bloody bike.
    Muddler, Redclayrider and windowto like this.
  4. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Engine protection question:

I've seen the 'crash bars' that protect the bike if it falls over - on level'ish ground. But what protecting the engine cases from rocks and other pokey things? Are there 'plates' or armor that can be placed on the clutch/stator covers?
  5. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
  6. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black donkey !
  7. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Life has had me doing all manner of drudgery and moving things about instead of riding ... when you move out of a house you've been in for 30 years you really learn that possessions are the fate that money brings.

It has been particularly tough going through my late wife's things, bawled my eyes out a bunch getting though it. On 4/26, right around the corner here, it will have been a year since she passed and I still miss her like it was yesterday. She grew orchids hence my avatar to remember and honor her ... I'm a lucky man for having known true love.

In between all that, I made my "nifty-shifty" ATAS an official stand-up girl with the addition of an OEM centerstand. The thing is pretty lightweight considering how bulky it looks, I was surprised.

In watching videos of sundry techniques to get the springs on that all seemed like too much work (each one of them reversed with respect to one another hooking in from different directions) - looked like a real Biatch to get them on. Folks were using string & straps with ratchets, t-handle pullers, etc. I looked rather nasty and I wasn't looking forward to it.

With the direction of pull pretty much in line with the chain, I had an idea and made a simple tool out of the bottom section of a stout clothes hanger making a small hook on one end (the spring side) and a larger more open hook on the other. It is about 13-14" long. With the stand zip-tied to the swing arm in the up position, I was able to hook the small end on the spring and the other end through the sprocket hole and then effortlessly use my right hand on the tire rotating it to pull the spring back with my left guiding it into the place where it hooked into the stand location with a gentle finger push and letting the tire rotate back to seat it.

Both went in place like butter and I didn't even have to use pliers. :happay

Much better than busting knuckles and pulling muscles while trying to yank on those stiff mofos!! Give this a try if/when you are in a similar situation ...

Learned real quick that it is best to have the left bag off to get 'er pulled up on onto the centerstand, nice that the Moskos come on and off so easy.

Good effortless wrenchin' to ya!
  9. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just swapped out the E07 from my rear for a nice new E07+, I went with the normal version rather than the Dakar version.
    I stuck with the easiest way to demount a tyre and mount a new one: I removed the rear wheel and put it in the car, drove to the bike shop and had them swap the tyres over, then took it home and refitted it to the bike. The bike shop charges something like $10 for the service, that's so totally worth the cost to me!
    bentlink and neanderthal like this.
  10. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    sounds like a surefire way to lose your...appendage
  11. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    yep! i'll warm up plenty quick with the right mood:1drink
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I'm not aware of anything affordable for the AT...Acrebis makes some nice stuff for dirt bikes
    [​IMG]
    I have a matching set over alternator and clutch.
    slowlyrider likes this.
  14. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question here for you folks:

I'm looking to install Oxford heated grips on my 2017 AT. I've done the install on a couple bikes before, so that part is covered. Oxford offers several models- Sport, Touring, Adventure, and they vary in length, with some ability to trim them to fit properly. Which model did you use, and how did the install go? I'm thinking the Touring model is my choice...they are probably all workable.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  15. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

Yup, got them on my KLX400R, that's where I got the idea that the AT should have some too. Now I need an AT.
    Pcfly likes this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    From what I recall, the touring fit with no mods needed.
  17. slowlyrider

slowlyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Mr Black and yourself for this. I've seen a couple of photos where Africa Twins used off-road have ended up with a smashed cover. The link provided seems to suggeset that it covers only the stator guard. Does Trailjammer do covers for both sides of the engine or just the one side? It's not clear how he can be contacted...
  18. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    https://www.trailjammerdesigns.com/honda-afric-twin-guards
    This just shows a guard for the stator side, does the $70 include one for the clutch side like what you have?
  19. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Stator side was started first and he should have a few of those in stock. The other side is more of a prototype......he wants to do them but they’re not as easy to do as the stator side. The clutch side looks round and even but it’s not, It’s a lot more involved and more man hours to make. I want to say he’s only made a couple and is gauging demand. If he gets enough people wanting them then more will be made.

Cain’s a one man show, he started these awhile ago for dirt bikes, mostly KTM’s after puncturing a side cover himself on a rock. He sponsored a few riders in Europe and he’s never had a covered case fail. I thought his contact info was up. I’ll text him and see what’s up.
  20. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are the Adventure Oxfords, and that's what you need to trim off. It's a piece of cake, just follow the groove.
    IMG_3759.jpg