The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fighting with some issues now.I might quit riding on street.Yesterday I wore a bright orange Jersey hoping people would see me better.Have had close calls last 4 rides.Yesterday 3 people pulled out in front of me on highway were I had to brake hard.One was texting and wandered around crossing center.I was almost home and stopped at a gas station and had a women walked past me in parking lot while I was drinking coffee. Got in her car and backed up and turned into my bike.I yelled but she did not hit the brakes so I threw my coffee cup at her.She stopped 1" before hitting my bike.I even got pushed into a turn lane by a cop on a cell phone last year .Starting to think I might get out of this sport.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  2. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the same thing happens in most northern states - people just aren't used to having motorcycles on the road so they don't actually 'see' you even tho they are looking right at you.

If you painted your bike to look like a whitetail deer they would notice you for sure, but then the 30-30 would come out and you'd get shot....

Screenshot_20190826-112051~01.jpg
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always ride like I am invisible but starting to feel like I really am.That woman walked past me in the parking lot and we were the only vehicles there.Fricken unreal.I was yelling at her you just fing walked by me how in the hell could you not see me.
  4. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone.

Probably been covered here, but does anyone know the torque setting for the handlebar riser bolts?
  5. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Here is a screenshot, hopefully this helps. Screenshot_2019-08-26-13-33-58.jpg
    OUTLAND MOTO likes this.
  7. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
  8. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had too many close calls.
    Notibles, drunk drivers, road ragers, semi's.

Got cleaned up 20 years ago by an ignorant young chick not giving way. I got lucky, i walked away. Trashed bike though.
    Feel your pain. Very frustrating.
    I ride like invisible. Never can trust your ever seen.

Simple fact, you can't help stupid. There will always be useless c@#ts that just can't see wrong in they're actions.
    windowto, zoro, Junglejeff1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Lol ya deer never get hit
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  10. RossTheRed

RossTheRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding so long, it doesn't surprise me when someone does something unexpected. That sounds contradictory, but it's the best way I can describe it. I don't even get mad. It's all part of riding.

People look for a car, they don't see a car, and they go. Kinda like deer.
    Honda-50, Zave, Muddler and 2 others like this.
  11. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Got an expert assist (I recently installed panniers) from a fellow on a red, white ,and black Africa Twin on the NI15. We even got off at the same exit.

I was on a black AT with black panniers.

Inmate?
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is just getting noticeable worse.They are starting to crack down on cell phone use and I hope that helps.I have had a couple issues going thrue Escanaba mi lately. They call it methcanaba.wife and me got T-boned in 2015 by a heroin head and have been doing mostly backroads since then.Spending more time slabbing this summer but might back off that soon.
  13. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always drive with brights on in daylight, have small red bicycle flashy thing on rear and high vis jacket, maybe I'm seen, maybe I'm just lucky... also reflective tape on crash bars black untill hit by headlights. and reflective tape on forks
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your just lucky today as I do I run high beams bright clothes,and reflecting crap.The just do not see.Have to be crazy defensive thrue the towns up here.Even the fricken dumb ass cop forced me over because he did not see me.
  15. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dirt bag junkies.
    A place near where i grew up is christened "South Pole", the ice problem is that bad.
  16. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    pepebayeta likes this.
  17. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I had one muppet outside of Fernie, on a small mountain road, no wider than a vehicle my right hand corner, he's cutting his left corner...comes right at me...fuckwith fixates and drives towards me. luckily we were both going slow, I went for the low ditch. Wanted to have a word with him but he fucked off down the hill.
    In central Idaho, 25mph limit on the road, could have been a 50mph...I was having a bit too much fun.
    Dude in a dodge 1 ton pulls out, even though he saw me.., slowed down, and sat behind him at 15mph...for 5 seconds, pulled out on a double solid and gone. That's partially my fault, but he could have easily waited.. might is right apparently.
    on the way home while doing a 1000km ride, some muppet was doing 60kmh in a 100kmh zone...again, passed on a double solid, so I don't get plowed into.
    Got to be carfeful out there, no doubt.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Dodge drivers
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Muppet lol,Going to use that in future.
  20. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I quit commuting about 10 years ago for those kind of reasons. Too many close calls made it too stressful. I started riding to work so I could arrive in a good frame of mind and look forward to the ride home as relief from the days work. When the ride to and from work became the most dreaded part of the day I gave it up.

Even track days are getting to be too much. Haven't done one track day this year and didn't really miss it. Seems like at least once a day I have someone trying an ill advised block pass. I ride in either the B or C group even. There's plenty of chances to pass me if you want. Just make it safe fuckwit.

So far this year traveling has been OK. Hoping it stays that way.