The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am just going to keep hitting the backroads and logging roads again.Tried out the highway thing the last couple months and just gets me pissed off.I never want to get hit by a car again.Been 4 years and messed with my head and I still limp.
    mike54 likes this.
  2. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Yeah the highway will test your inner buddha that for sure. :thumb
    Gemel likes this.
  3. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    have at it! plenty of them out there!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 3 years being there if he had hair it would be gray. 20190827_160723.jpg
    mike54, Amphib and Gemel like this.
  5. Gemel

Gemel ubuntu.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thing thats really getting to me at the mo, is when there's a merge of two or more lanes.
    Some comedian decides to hog the center line to make sure that only one lane proceeds up to the merge point. Even though its spelt out in big f ing letters, use both lanes until merge.
    He even pulled over to make sure I wont go through on the bike! Having got that off my chest, I'm feeling better. Thanks guys...

Yesterday, had to nip down to DC to pick up some paper work from the embassy. Left at 8.30 from RI and got there at 4 on the dot, turned around got back home at midnight. If it wasnt for a the ample road works and multiple lane mergers, it would have been less stressfull and possibly earlier to bed. The clown I mentioned earlier seems to be every where and it looks like some of you met him too.
    But on the whole I was quite impressed at how actually courteous the drivers where down in DC.
    Going through NYC, not so much.

Don't know how old some of you folk are, but we can all begin to sound like Waldorf and Statler, or Victor Meldrew, if we're not careful.
    Keep safe!
    windowto and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    All these complaints about drivers make me feel lucky to be in Japan, it's pretty calm here, lane-splitting isn't an issue and no one has guns so you can still flip-off the rare fuckwit.
    mike54, chittyrox and DCTFAN like this.
  8. RossTheRed

RossTheRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago, on my way home from work, I was approaching the tail end of a line at a traffic light. The car ahead of me stopped about 6 or 8 car lengths behind the tail of the line. I was still a couple hundred feet away when he stopped. I had my GoPro on, so I was able to verify this later. When I stopped behind him, I could see his girlfriend (?) in the passenger seat making some gestures. I couldn't tell what they were. The guy was looking at me in his side mirror and pointing. He pulled forward a couple car lengths, and when I pulled up behind him, he started yelling at me. With earplugs in and a helmet on, I couldn't hear what he was saying. This escalated until he was sticking his head out the window and screaming at me. When traffic started moving, he and his girlfriend flipped me off as they raced ahead. The light was turning yellow as I reached the intersection. Though I could have made the light, I decided to give him room.

In my opinion, when it comes to road rage, the offender is usually not the one who feels the anger. I had done nothing to this guy. He was clearly setting me up so he could express his annoyance. Someone had offended him earlier. Maybe they flipped him off. Maybe they cut him off in a line. Whatever, and whoever, the cause, he took his anger out on me.

So, don't annoy the cagers/motorists/muppets. You might be causing problems for another motorcyclist down the road. Or for yourself if you find you need someone's help. Be polite. It doesn't hurt to be polite.

A random picture, just to make everyone feel better. Shoshone Falls:

Shoshone Falls8325.JPG
  9. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But isn’t everyone there’s hands and feet registered weapons? :D
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    No, that's China.

[​IMG]
  12. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the disadvantages that these lowered pegs bring, they still make sense if your legs are longer than the size the bike was designed for.
    Nihon Newbie, ROYMACNIC and simmons1 like this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    There's a reason why people buy high seats. I'd scrape the shit out of those pegs if I still had my AT.
    Squily, Barron and pepebayeta like this.
  14. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    There is no optional high seat for the ATAS. And if you are around 1.90m, the hipotetical taller seat wouldn't make your knees skip the shape of the tank.
    I must be very slow, I still didn't scrap the pegs a single time.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
  16. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
  17. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    In terms of footpegs - each to his own, but I'm with @twinrider on this one, as I'm already scraping the stock pegs. But that's on the AT not ATAS and with the extra bit of ground-clearance it might work. Lower pegs does make it easier to stand up and helps tired old knees, but they also reduce off-road clearance on rutted tracks etc. So it's a compromise, but like I said, I'm with twinrider - I'd scrape those every time I hit a roundabout.

As far as the seat goes w.r.t. tank-knee clearance - I don't sit on the front bit, but midway to the rear right where the hump is. So my knees are not pressing against the tank and have plenty of clearance (1.95m tall for reference). A one piece seat works great for me (cause there is no hump). It's only an issue if I have a pillion, which is almost never.
    pepebayeta, Barron and twinrider like this.
  18. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheap Montana mount price!
    I like saving money so.. this company had the least expensive Montana mount I found $ 21.99 shipped taxes included.... i dont work for them have no interest other than to save inmates money https://www.northernmarineelectronics.com
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. flyin_

flyin_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is nuts. Knock on wood I haven't had many close calls in the past several years since I started using a few more defensive ideas. 1. When approaching an intersection, or any location where someone is able to turn left in front of me I swerve side to side enough for the head light to move around. If I'm really worried I do swerve a bit vigorously in my lane. 2. Always ride with the high beam on (except at night) 3. move around in my lane to pick the safest location at any given time, and moving around helps you stand out.

I think swerving slightly when approaching intersections or oncoming traffic where they are able to turn left is the single biggest contributor to fewer close calls. Since I have been doing that regularly I have had next to no close closes with left turning cars...shit now I terrified of my ride home after saying that.

Good luck out there and ride safe!
  20. flyin_

flyin_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm going for with a reindeer pelt for a seat cover. The tail is still on the pelt and I can see it waving behind me in my shadow at times.

upload_2019-8-29_18-2-40.jpeg