1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will be ordering this sometime soon. Just want to get more air to my helmet in warm weather. The OEM screen will work the other 4 months of the year.
  2. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    no prob. Honestly, I'm far too lazy to remove it during riding season. It's fine in all applications for me.
  3. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    report back.
    I went with a pcv. Far more involved as far as install, but fully transparent on what it does. Plus tunable..
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2019/03/18/2017-honda-crf-1000-power-commander-v-install/
    after 10k km, i'm glad I did it.
    Wheelies...hell yes.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Going back this this 2018+ battery replacement, it seems like the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 might be a suitable replacement. I've sent them the spec sheet for the OEM battery made by ELllY Power so see if they think their battery is OK to use in this application.
  5. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    What is the fastest you've had a set of tires go bad, not used up, but bad? The reason I ask is because I have a set of tourtecs on my twin that are about 8 months old. Yesterday I was riding out of my neighbor hood and the front felt soft so I stopped t get air at a gas station 1/8 of a mile from my house. As I was airing it up I noticed cracks along the rim that were deep so I stopped the air and took it home. I could feel it getting softer as I rode very slowly home. This is one of the reasons I prefer tube to tubeless. FWIW, two weeks ago the cracks weren't there and before that day the tire never lost air.

-Barron
  6. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Lots of variables - what was the "date" on the tire when you got them? Were they old stock or fresh? high air temps? parked outside exposed to weather and sun?

I've had a Michelin T63 crack in a couple months... But it was an old stock tire as it had been discontinued and was sitting for a bit.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I quit buying bfgoodrich tires for my 4x4s because of this.

I know if your bike gets parked around ozone producing things this can cause cracking.... Electrical fields, evaporating solvents.....
  8. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    The bike is parked outside, no idea what the date was on them but what both of you guys says makes sense. I was just really surprised. It's been hot and there is a transformer very close (but higher) to my bike. The tires on my other bike and car cracked quickly, not to mention most of the rubber on my other bike was absolutely shot. I never put any solvents or "look pretty" stuff on my tires, but I'm going to look into it and see if there is a way to guard against the ozone thing.

-Barron
  9. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same windscreen. It even helped my buffeting issue. I recommend it also. Plus it looks cool
    swimmer likes this.
  10. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190809_065550.jpg
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    PCV would be the real way to go (along with a dyno tune) ... or that place in the UK that can dyno tune and reflash the ECU.

That would likey net the best results and likely would allow some tailoring to where you want the power gains.

I went w/ the UpMap simply because it's an off the shelf tune for the full Termi exhaust I'm running with easy install.

From my limited seat time today, there is no doubt a power boost through the entire rev range as advertised. Putting around, you won't notice anything different. But, pick up the pace and it is noticeable. If you rip it like a street bike it is very noticeable. Definitely added fuel as the exhaust was running cooler than before the flash (used to heat up really quickly being a touch lean)

My bike is a 2017. So other things I may experiment with when it comes to change the air filters is dig deeper into the airbox and change out the throttle body snorkels for the longer 2018+ ones to get some more mid range pep (where I seem to ride the bike the most)

*might* gear it down a tooth or two also.
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the antigravity 360 in my 2016.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I don't see a model 360 listed. Maybe you are referring to the AG-1201? Either way, that battery won't fitand neither will the one they recommend for the AT.

Shorai responded to my inquiry and said the battery rhat I suggested might work on the 2018+ bikes won't work and they don't have anything that will. The spec on that battery all seem adequate but they said "it's underpowered for that bike".
  14. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a refrigerator in your garage?
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Nihon Newbie and 97707 like this.
  16. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something complicated developed specifically for regulations, not consumers/riders.
  17. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Disagree...... cooler temps, more power, greater efficiency.
    Barron likes this.
  18. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    A few things to note:
    -as you said, PCV gives the most flexibility, but is a pain to install
    -I do have K and N filters, and a staintune slip on only. PCV seems to have smoothed out the bike, and feels like it has more shove
    -DO NOT waste your time with Hilltop ECUs. Utter muppets. The people I dealt with (desk/email staff) couldn't get me actual numbers, a map after the tune, price etc..
    The local guy in Vancouver had no help from the mother ship (basically a franchise deal of sorts, with all the add costs, but zero support)
    -I went down one tooth on the front...didn't really like it. Speedo and odo error went up considerably. Yes it was snappier, but rev'd too high on the hwy, and didn't bring me the benefits I thought it would.

Glad the upmap is working as you have hoped.
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Might be a good idea. Looking at the pictures, they would go to one tb.
    But....honda car division is having all sorts of issues with their DI. The way it was explained to me is the pistons are dished, the injector squirts in the mixture at one edge, and the fuel/air atomizes as it goes over the piston surface. It works well when the piston surface is clean, but the minute any carbon builds up on the piston the path of the mixture gets all bumpy, and the system throws a mis fire code.
    I think ford had a similar issue on their 1st gen ECOboosts. That said, 2nd gen is largely sorted.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard of widespread DI issues on the Honda car engines; do you have a specific model? Only major light vehicle issue I'm aware of is the oil dilution thing with the 1.5T in cold climates and short run times.