1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard of widespread DI issues on the Honda car engines; do you have a specific model? Only major light vehicle issue I'm aware of is the oil dilution thing with the 1.5T in cold climates and short run times.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  3. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    yep, the 3.5L ridgeline (2nd gen)
    Buddy is a mechanic at Honda Calgary. He's my source.
    Another guy we ride with has his ridgeline in the dealer for two or three months. Ended up replacing complete wiring harness and some other shit.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll PM ya!

Huh, I would've thought that any 3.5L DI issues would show up in the Pilot first since there's SO many more of those. Odd regardless. My DI 2.4L Accord is a gem. Anyway, I'll end the derail :p.
    Amphib likes this.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that one also won't fit. Not that it matters since what you have works, but Shorai suggests a different model than that for the '16-'17 AT.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The Toyota DI engines with D4-S technology have a cleaning cycle they periodically go through at hot idle to deal with carbon build up issues on the injectors and also supplemental port injectors used a low load to help keep the valves clean.
    Nihon Newbie, neanderthal and Amphib like this.
  7. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I have limited experience with newer honda cars.
    Besides, I hang out with dudes that have trucks...almost bought a ridgeline myself, but it was out of my range for what I could spend.
    have owned my share of good hondas...prob my fav was a 1986 Accord LX.. Bulletproof, and extremely well built. POP UP headlamps!!!
    :D
  8. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    The 2nd gen ecoboosts now also have port injectors.
    gve.mcmlxxiv and sweetlou like this.
  9. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    And lower emissions.
    Amphib likes this.
  10. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    And all reports of intake valve coking on first gen Ecoboosts have yet to be substantiated... always just post pictures of 1980s era European boosted engines!
  11. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its actually called the atz-10, 360 is part of the name and is the cranking amps. one of the reasons i got it was the restart button. if you have a parasitic drain on your Lithium battery and it gets below 10V the battery is dead forever. this disconnects that and leaves enough juice in the battery to restart.

this is something you need to understand before you get any lithium battery.
    watch the Lemmy video here:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/antigravity-restart-lithium-ion-battery

heres the one i bought for 2016
    https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/antigravity-atz-10-restart-360ca-lithium-ion-battery
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately nothing from Antigravity fits the '18+ AT.

I hope that the revised 2020 AT uses this same ELIIY Power Lithium battery so that the production numbers can justify one of the aftermarket battery guys to produce a suitable substitute.
  13. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was actually looking at Ford engines this morning. They are calling it PDFI port -direct-fuel injection. Port injection have the self cleaning of carbon going on is the reason.
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    There probably is something. If you call them with your battery number they can probably recommend. It’s probably not indexed. The 360 cranking amps va the factory 220 turn it on immediately
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    No, nothing fits into the battery box. The lithium battery doesn't have a standard case size.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maby they should apply some technology to making fuel tanks with out welding slag and forks that don't wear out before they do this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides never buying another honda ever again I will run from this eco crap.Will go back to my older bikes that are much easier to service and run just fine.I guess motorcycles and cow farts are causing global warming or cooling now(take your pick).I just got a paper from my electric company saying that the electricity I use is over 80% from coal.same in 4 surrounding states.China spews the crap out so much they have to wear masks there.And the idiot's think coming down on motorcycles is going to help.As long as it makes people feel better lol.
    twinrider and ex_MGB like this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair, the 2 wheeled emissions controls are out of Europe, where there are vastly higher numbers in the urban areas - and particulates are of far more concern. Only
    CA really gives a crap over here, and you should remember how bad the air pollution was in the major cities there before they clamped down on vehicle emissions.

It’s not all climate change concerns.

Maybe if we were a much bigger market, the import brands wouldn’t economize by giving us Euro 4/5 compliant emissions systems.
    swimmer likes this.
  19. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    I agree with both you guys. China pollution images are horrific. I remember the first time I went to Los Angeles in 1983, vehicle air pollution was so thick visibility was obscured to half a mile on a clear day. It was like the Beijing pictures you see now.

Most these choices will be made for us in time so I don’t worry too much.
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm all for climate change if it means a longer riding season. Did my part by decatting my bike.
    Bhart89 and Junglejeff1 like this.