The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with both you guys. China pollution images are horrific. I remember the first time I went to Los Angeles in 1983, vehicle air pollution was so thick visibility was obscured to half a mile on a clear day. It was like the Beijing pictures you see now.

Most these choices will be made for us in time so I don’t worry too much.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm all for climate change if it means a longer riding season. Did my part by decatting my bike.
    Bhart89 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    In 1962, my dad bought a new corvette. The first thing he did was remove the fuel injection and put carbs on.

I think change is difficult. Im nostalgic for simpler times and things I knew well and could fix with common tools. I don't like how complicated things are getting and having to rely on on someone else wearing a lab coat wielding a computer. But I think it's only rough on us who got to know it both ways. The youngsters won't know any different. I have to remove myself from the equation and see what is better for the planet.

A friend of mine years ago was a big shot air-cooled Porsche guru. He's now a big shot for Audi. It's pretty cool how excited he got describing direct injection.... (this is several years ago while still in development) and the massive fuel pressures they were getting. He wasn't describing this as a workaround to regulations, but in engineering extremely clean burning, powerful engines. Alot of what he shared was over my head, but it was interesting his perspective in performance having such deep experience between air-cooled and cutting edge modern.

Personally I'd be happy to live out my days out in the woods and not worry about such things, but the world doesn't care about me. If the science is correct, this is for the best any way. I do want my kids and future grandchildren, on down the line to have a healthy environment to live in....... Regardless of how I feel about internal combustion engines.

Edit: as the link posted points out, honda is the only company making motorcycles with f1 racing experience...... With direct injection.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maintenance is a big issue these days.Most shops do not have the training or equipment to work on a lot of the tech now.Most tech,s go on to better paying jobs like hanging dry wall lol.I like technology but it is becoming hard to find people to repair it.My transmission shop flat out will not repair some of the stuff made now.My honda/yamaha shop tech cannot wait to retire as a lot of this stuff is so hard to fix.If you mention DCT to him you might get punched lol.
    windowto, pepebayeta and Amphib like this.
  5. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Yeah, huge issue. It would sure make me think twice about what I am purchasing next. Simplicity is why I chose the manual AT. It's why, if I was shopping, I'd be seriously looking at the t7. I'm going to ride the AT till it can't be any more. I may get a big 2 up machine like a harley road king and probably a simple little dual sport of some kind.....that'll most likely finish off my riding career.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Transmissions are super complicated, way beyond shops to service most of them. Transmissions are getting too complicated even for the big car companies to make. Most of the world's car makers are using JATCO or aisin as the source of their transmissions. only Ford, Honda, GM/chevy and Mercedes can even manufacture their own transmissions anymore. VW, Toyota and everyone else is using JATCO or AISIN. GM and Ford had to combine forces to make their latest transmissions, which should show how complicated its become.
    Junglejeff1 and Amphib like this.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    TBF, Toyota is a major holder of AISIN (30%) - so it's kind of a partial outsourcing there. There are a number of big EU manufacturers (ZF, BorgWarner, Getrag) who provide transmissions for all sorts of companies (eg: Getrag manuals in the Mustang, and the terrible DCTs in the FOcus and Fiestas, or the ZF PDK in Porsches).

With all that being said, it's actually pretty interesting that Honda has kept a lot of their transmission design and manufacturing in house. I think that internal engineering capacity may be why they remain the only brand to introduce a small packaging DCT for motorcycle use; which other major brand is also designing various automatic transmissions (that aren't CVTs for scooter use) in one of their other divisions?
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  8. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    This is the appeal of electric bikes...no combustion, no transmission, so overall less complicated at least from a mechanical standpoint. Sure the electrical is complicated, but I can't walk around a corner without bumping into an electrical engineer these days. I couldn't give a damn about emissions or efficiency, pretty sure I'm going to live to see significant ecological collapse no matter what the coming years bring, the emissions of motorcycles is not even a drip in the bucket.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I'm extremely excited for when battery tech progresses to the point where I can get an ADV bike with >250mi range.
    Amphib likes this.
  10. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's when I'll be buying one, currently the range is not close to enough for me to do a decent trip.

I love the insta-torque of electric as well as the low maintenance costs and high reliability. Electric works well in cars where you can have half a tonne of batteries, but for bikes we need to see better energy density for both weight & volume.

Until batteries get to where we need them for motorcycles I'll just have to put up with burning refined petroleum.
    windowto, cblais19 and Amphib like this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    You would be OK with your motorcycle getting 20mpg?
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    The BMW car transmissions are made by GM/Chevy
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh? Which? The 8 speeds are a ZF sourced one, and the DCTs they use in the M cars and others are a Magna/Getrag product.
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    I thought they were using them all the way back to the 1990s.
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
  16. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm not the best at explaining complex stuff in little words, but I'll try.

I have known the automotive industry for over three decades. The problem is not the "new" tech, AKA "electronics". (Actually, I love elctronics in motor vehicles, as long as they f***ing work).
    Emission controls, shops or technicians are not the problem either.
    Are you familiar with the concept of programmed obsolescence?
    If you are, I don't need to explain anymore.
    If you are not, just ask your self a few questions and try to answer in as little words as possible.

A few ideas for questions: What's the "new" technology that makes the replacement of the air filter taking more than two ours on my ATAS? Is it the ABS, TC, or maybe the DCT?
    Why do I have to spend almost four hours removing and putting back together clips, pins, bolts, one million extremely weak tabs, cables, hoses, four hugeassed 1970's designed coils... to do an one hour valve adjustment?
    If batteries, specially Li-ion ones, are very temperature sensitive. Wasn't there any other place than just right behind the cilinders and head to put it?
    By September 2014, honda had built 300,000,000 bikes. Maybe they still didn't figure out how to make forks last more than 15,000 km/miles?
    In 1992 honda made the NR750. Which, among some other candies, had an optic dashboard system to make the display focus into infinite. So you didn't have to change the focus of your eyes when moving your sight from the road to the display. Did anybody in 2016 notice the reverse coloured LCD dash is mostly unreadable in daylight?

I'm sure you guys have questions too.

Oh, and just FYI, none of the answers is "the engineers are stupid". Because they are not.
    Nihon Newbie, Junglejeff1 and leethal like this.
  17. 97707

97707 Go Long

Oddometer:
    One of the sweet spots Honda had to hit with the AT was pricing it competitively. It looks like they spent most of their R&D budget on the DCT trans . . . and none on the suspension.

They gave up an awful lot to KTM with that decision. I wonder, was burying the air filters under hard-to-remove plastics a planned obsolescence thing? I sort of think not so much. It was just not giving a chit about ease of maintenance.

Has anyone had a L-ion battery fail due to overheating on the AT? Just curious.

That all said, the list of common complaints about forks and shocks, spokes and tanks and switchgear . . . can't be helping Honda's rep. Lots of folks chose the AT over the 1090 because they expected reliability.

On another subject, anyone heard about a release date for the 2020 models? Asking because it looks like NOS prices are turning down now. That might be on account of the season, or maybe its in anticipation of the 2020s.

snip AT cheap.JPG

Yes, that's a new bike with full warranty.

Nihon Newbie likes this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think planned obsolescence is the thing behind any of those decisions either. The Yamaha Super Tenere is one of the most reliable/durable bikes on the road, but it’s a freaking pain to do the valves on it too.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Probably like nearly every other new Honda street bike. Late spring/early summer for the NA market.
  20. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I could probably make myself a lot smarter about transmission sources with a little internet research. I remember my gramps talking about BMW going to “Chevy made” engines back in the 90s. Honda, Ford, Chevy and Mercedes still keeping it in house is my understanding. But I guess Mercedes is Daimler Chrysler now anyway? VW surprised me that they sourced theirs since they are huge worldwide