The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    All Africa Twins are 50 state bikes.

The first bike the dealer figured out my taxes by my zip code and they were included in the price. Went to DMV. Paid only for the registration stuff. Easy peasy. I had this bike shipped to California; DMV (800 number) says it must be on a truck to be inspected at DMV. I get to DMV and they're like "yeah, you need to bring it down."
    Me "um, .... so I called y'all 800 number and was specifically told to bring it on a truck."
    Them "well we're not allowed to inspect it on the back of the truck so it must be brought down for us to do the VIN verification."
    Me "am i supposed to conjure up a fucking gorilla or forklift out of a hat like a magician? Right now? I was specifically told to bring it on a truck. Nobody said i'd have to bring it off the truck."
    Fuckers wasted my time. I rode that shit there the next day. Fuck the "no registration- it can't be on the road' bullshit. And of course I had to wait. Again. Same bitch who said "you have to bring it off the truck" watched me ride it straight to the inspection bay.

Second bike. Dealer didn't do out of state tax/ anything. Went to DMV, the lady figured it all out. Paid $1800 or something sales tax, registration, etc.
    This one was a ride and drive so it had a temp registration.
    Third bike. Same deal as second.

Just have all your paperwork with you. It normally takes a couple of days for the dealer to generate one of them (bill of sale?,) they mail it to you.
    davyjones and Amphib like this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Quite a drastic difference between the unfiltered side and the filtered side. Bravo.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. FTWeather

FTWeather KISS army 1976

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks for the info!!
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great username
  5. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 CRF1000L Africa Twin , WR250F

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the part # for a JT 44t rear sprocket?

(Or another brands?)

Keep finding conflicting part numbers
  6. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Yes that's correct Uni Pre Filters (stock Honda main filters) $22 AU probably works out to be $2 US at the current exchange rate, OK maybe $15. They say to stuff them down the neck of the snorkel but as they get choked with dirt you drop performance so I put two cable ties down them to spread them out and put them outside the snorkel. Also makes them easy to clean just cut the cable tie slide off clean then put back on. Managed to get a two week trip in without having to clean them, an even bigger surprise I managed to make a Shinko 804 last the two weeks as well.
  7. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    nice! Well done on the exchange rate!:D but we'd pay that in Canadian pasos.
    So are you able to install/remove the filters without taking the plastics off?
    804/805 were decent tires, but they do not last
  8. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    ya...sort of like here. We do get chinook winds...where it goes up above freezing so we can get a freak ride in new years, or something like that
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  9. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    gotcha.. sucks. but yeah, for warranty work, they gave me the parts and fixed the fork myself.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    :lol2 CA DMV. smh I've got 4 offices withing 10 miles of me. What's fun is going to 2 different offices and getting 2 different stories. I got to on 85 miles away when I need something serious done. It's a small town and they're friendly and are just trying to help you get things done.
  11. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings ATOT (Africa Twin Owners Thread)!!!

Bio: Half century old dude seeking do everything bike.

Ride History: Except for a brief 2-3 year period of owning sport bikes (ZX-7 & Ducati 900SS), I've owned "dirt bikes" for the past 30+ years, and I mean "real" dirt bikes...no plate, and oil required in the gas! :-) I never raced, only did tracks and trails for fun, I started off being slow and a little stupid, but with decades of practice and determination, I'm slower and a little smarter.

Current Situation: My riding friends are now old too, and they caught the Adv virus, and I'm the only one not infected....yet. Also, I'm pretty much done with tracks and my 2-stroke, while I love the pull the wheel up in 3rd power, is just way too snappy to enjoy on trails too much...the throttle is truly an on/off switch.

Current Situation Part 2: Given the above, I find myself shopping for a do it all bike. Despite what the street bikes above might say, I am pretty much a loyal Honda guy, and the AT seems like the best (and maybe only?) do it all bike from Honda. The CB500X is intriguing, but I think it might be a little too little (power & size) given my background and size (6'1", 250). The NC is also intriguing, but just seems like it would be way over its head off road except for maybe a gravel or smooth dirt road. Finally, the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled also intrigues me...definitely not a Honda, and probably not a beast in the dirt, but the styling really speaks to me.

Comments:

1) Coming from the dirt world, it's hard not to look at all these Adv bikes as heavy pigs. Being one myself, I ought to know.
    2) I wish Honda made a Halfrican Twin.
    3) DCT REALLY intrigues me. I can't believe I am typing those words, and neither can any of my riding buddies.

Questions:

1) If you do a decent amount of off road riding, what other bikes besides the AT did you consider?
    2) Anyone my size spend time on both the CB500X and the AT? If so, what are your thoughts?
    3) WTF was Honda thinking with the front fender height on the AT? (I know there are kits to raise)

Thanks for reading.
    davyjones likes this.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, there’s a really nice shock for sale in the parts area by the guy I bought my bike from that’s set up for a 250lb rider (Touratech/tractive), which might be worth picking up if you got with an AT.
  13. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    It was a tossup between the 1090 and AT. Nothing else factored in late 2017 for me.
    1090 has much better OEM suspension, reliablity a bit dodgier. Happy with the AT after two great seasons.
    Cant talk about a 500x. Never rode one. It's a street bike with a (now) 19" front tire.
    Coming from a Tenere 1200, the 19/17 combo was a bit of a handicap in the semi tricky stuff. The 21/18 is great.
    Fender? meh..got the 1" ROX riser kit. It's fine.

Why is your 2s on/off? My Beta 300 throttle is like butter...with chili peppers. Cover the clutch and enjoy the ride.
  14. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The recommendation all stems from what type of riding you will be doing. If it is long highway rides then gravel roads and two track, then the Africa Twin is great.
    If you are trailering to a campground or trail head and then riding single track with short trips down the highway to the next trail, the AT may not be the bike for you.
    Take a look at a CRF450L for that type of riding.
  16. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Similar history but been doing street and dirt for dang near 50 yrs and I'm pulling social security now. I was aiming for the one to do it all bike with my '18 ATAS but after coming to know that it takes 100% of what I got to get 'er back up from napping on her side (with not even a prayer if some part of me is hurt), I do my off road fun with a CRF450L.

Other thing too is that I ride alone. Riding in a group would have me being more aggressive in what I tackle on the big one. Did go as far as getting a dustriders hoist but haven't been where its weight was worth hauling yet. Also went with Alt-Rider high fender and all their bars and plate. Fast riding in gravely dirt will have some tire fling coming back at ya ... goggles/face shield have gotten some pretty good whacks. Doesn't happen with the OEM low fender.

I'm a pretty spirited rider and had anxiousness about going DCT but no more. I ride in S3 most all of the time with USER/1/1/1 mode and it does what I want 95% of the time. For the other 5%, one gets pretty quick with the finger shifters. Only time I find myself using Manual is when I want to stay in 1st/2nd over tricky stuff.

Good ridin' to ya!
  17. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've spent time on the CB500X (Spouse's), and much more time on my AT.
    IMHO you are too big for the CB500X, and you will likely find it way underpowered under most riding conditions but here's the weird thing:

When the riding gets really gnarly, like you find yourself in conditions that any sane person would choose a dirt bike for: that CB500X can tractor through, or if properly wrung out, out climb my AT. I have mucho experience "helping" my spouse get through tricky sections by riding/power pushing. On our most recent "adventure", my AT was ultimately the weak link in our two bike chain. I could get the 500X up, but not the AT. Plus that AT gets really hard to pick up after a couple drops.

The 500X is also a lot less scary on descents due to its lighter weight and smaller size, and maintains traction better. But as soon as we hit the fire roads and anything bigger, the AT destroys it.

The 500 has terrible clearance, a proper baseplate is absolutely necessary (the engine is naked).

I'm 5'10, 180 lbs, 49 years old, ride dirt bikes, and I love that 500X for what it is, but the AT is where its at.

My prior adv bike was a KTM 950S, and if I coulda waited for the 1090 I would be riding that. Honda was first to the showroom floor and I snapped up the AT 25000kms ago. No regrets, just grins, although if you look at some of my earlier posts, you will see I had some fork problems and I might be one of the Original 5 that had to do something about it.

good luck

IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3948.jpg
  18. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    No, plastics have to come off, but I have got that down to about 30mins start to finish now. I have the Honda bars so that's just 2 bolts and lots of rubber grease on the two plastic side panel rubber grommets makes it really easy for them to go on and off now, I only take the two panels off the windshield etc all stay on the bike.
    The tracks helped the 804s quite a bit to be able to do the km they took some big hits on the rocks and never had a cut I don't like them in the sand but they don't wear much in it. As you can see out west you pull up at a Pub for some lunch and all sorts drop in. Kato's outnumbered 5 to 1 not a single BMW seen on entire trip.

Attached Files:

windowto, davyjones, simmons1 and 2 others like this.
  19. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two Plugs and Lost Cartographer like this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Xr650l (much lighter pig)if your tall.These AT,s are fat pigs.I use it to take wifey cruising back roads/logging roads and have no dreams of long distance riding.If it was just me I would have a 500 ktm for my type of adv.Thank God I have real dirt bikes lol.
    randallz2002, Barron and WalterMitty2 like this.