The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here. My only problem is that I wired my Denali lights to go through the recess in the fairing, so they just have to dangle there. Takes me longer to get my altrider upper bars off that to access the filters.
  2. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get your red crash bars, and your skid lower skid plate?
  3. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    The crash bars are Altrider and the bashplate is B&B Aluminium
    They both have been thoroughly tested now and get a thumbs up
    On its side the bashplate lets you spin the bike like a top to reposition it for and easier lift and certainly protects those engine cases from rash.
    davyjones and MrKiwi like this.
  4. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the b&b skid plate, and am thinking of pairing it with OM crash bars, mids only not the wrap around, for ease of air filter changes. My only worry is that the skid plate will keep the bottom of the bike too high, making the upper plastics hit the dirt. What do you think?
    davyjones likes this.
  5. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    I looked at what would offer the most protection in a fall
    Altrider stuff appears to be the most tested and robust bar system. The mounting is very well designed and it works well with repeated abuse
    I have the Barrett rear racks doing a bit to take up the rear end and with Barkbusters its hard to fault.

I came to this setup combination knowing that I was going to treat it more like an XR600 not a CRF1000l if you get my meaning.
    With air filter changes in mind I just remove the front tongue mounting bolts at the top and loosen the bolts at the bottom, removing only one each side then just roll it forward. Not tricky to reinstall
    The big wrap around bar barges down trees and bushes well too.
    Hope that helps.
    davyjones and AZMtnRider like this.
  6. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Outback Motortek- 3rd year (crash testing) on my '16 AT
    i'm not sayin' it's the best or anything but these have done their job over and over
    in all kinds of terrain over the years.
    IMG_20190801_115955333.jpg

better angle:
    2019 TAT.jpg
    windowto, gammel, -mek- and 5 others like this.
  7. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did the Mosko bags stand up to that abuse?

8. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A tragic, is an enthusiast.
  9. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    That front tyre must have tried its best.
    What a rock farm.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  12. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Good as new. MM are made for this kinda country. Just don't put anything fragile in 'em.
    I hate the weight of the topbox, but that's where all the fragile stuff go.
    windowto likes this.
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Style Adv Tire for the AT: Not sure this is relevant today. I haven't visited this thread in a year.

I finally received a set of the new Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires for my 2016 AT. They were introduced for the Ducati Scramblers a couple years ago. Its been a long wait to get them in sizes for ADV bikes. Today is my first day on them. They were as I hoped in the street environment. By that I mean quiet and sticky, like all Pirellis are noted for. But while they are a street tire, they have a knobby block tread pattern. That suggests to me that they would be acceptable for my purposes on my AT. I want medium challenge fire service road capability. Light sand too. Gravel is bad for every tire so in that I just want the front to track. My big fear was the knobby block pattern would make them loud on the street. Not so!

I had Mefo Super Explorers before. I bought them because I had great experience with them in AK on my old KTM 950. The front wasn't good in the mud, but everywhere else in the dirt, they were terrific! Plus they lasted twice as long as TKC80's. I got the miles out of these too but they definitely changed the tread pattern for better dirt performance. As a result they howled starting at 45mph. Much louder than TKC80s.

My choice this time was the Pirelli MT 90s that were OEM on my KTM950; or these new STR's. I decided to try the new tire and hope. I have had lots of Pirellis on various bikes and none of them go much further than 4k miles. I am sure these won't either. Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look the part, anyway... :-)
    MrKiwi likes this.
  14. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    They look identical to the shinko 804/805.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  15. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the bridgestone battlax?
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite different in execution though, they’re a modern radial with multi compounds and all that jazz. Last about the same as an 805 from what I’ve seen (not long).
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which one? The new AX41 knobbie? The A41 90/10? The T31 sport touring? Another?
  18. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    The A41 which one have you tried?
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see that now... They DO look very similar and the Shinko's are quite a bit cheaper! I think also, that the Pirelli STR's are more street oriented. I wanted a decent tread block, but these are not like Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires. I've used those on my KTM690 and they are a genuine knobby race tire with DOT labelling. These are street tires originally designed for Ducati Scramblers (which are pure street bikes). They are supposed to be quite good on wet pavement even. I have a 2000mile trip to Santa Fe next month. My AT has a little over 15k miles on it so I bought these tires and a new chain/sprocket set for this trip. I may come back through southern UT so I'll have some dirt roads to travel as well. The Burr Trail and Cottonwood Canyon for example.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran the A41 90/10 on my Tenere. It's a fantastic sport-touring tire, extremely sticky out to the edge with a very consistent feel, does great on mixed pavement surfaces (no waggle on tar snakes). Fine on dry dirt and gravel, with the limitation that it's a 90/10.

I've had a friend run the AX41 knobbie on his GS - said it was loud but had really great grip. He's keeping it for the muddy seasons in VT.