The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. northumbrian

northumbrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Ducati’s are reliable bikes, in fact in my recent experience more reliable than Honda. I currently have a 2019 AT with battery discharging issues and a 19 Supercub which has been in the dealership more than it has been in my garage, ( dealer has just asked my for key fob codes as they are now changing control unit and keys)
    I know it might be a 1 off... ( or a 2 off?) and Hondas generally are reliable, but as said so are Ducati’s,
    Biggest decision for you is what are you going to use it for
    Both have restricted off road ability
    But the Honda has far superior mile munching ability
    Ducati looks cool down the local bar, (bit imo so does the AT)
    It’s the touring factor you need to think about
  2. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a single battery listed on Revzilla as fitting the 2018 AT actually fits. I have had an email exchange with them about this, and they acknowledged it after I sent them the measurements of the oem battery.
    Yours is now the second instance in a week of Revzilla stating something fits, when it doesn't.
    Lesson learned - do not trust Revzilla when they say a part fits my bike. I'm a little disappointed cos I really like them otherwise.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    It looks like they have it although it doesn't show correctly in their parts diagrams..

Part number 31500-MKK-A02

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/...EgC3EFjw7sH-5p7xzRptwLzLv9L4Bq3BoCPJIQAvD_BwE
    Vasbyt likes this.
  4. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    At ProCycle we build hundreds of custom wheels every year. I used a Sun rim with Buchanan's stainless steel spokes. In hindsight I would not do anything differently. There's no reason to go wider than 2.75 which is already on the big side for most of the available tires that I might choose to mount up. Plus, I don't know of a source for a good quality 3" wide rim. The next common width would be 3.5" and that would make tire choices difficult.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  5. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

While I'd like to think I will become Charlie and Ewan, the realities of job and family will mean 2-3 small trips per year. So that means the other 99% of the time the bike will just be for putting around the neighborhood for mental health rides. Frankly, I could probably get a scooter and have a ball. I have no desire to bang out miles and miles on highways. Even my small trips will involve trucking bikes to places that are fun to ride versus highway miles, and those rides will be 50/50 road and light off road. Finally, I'm more of a "credit card" camper then a real outdoorsman. Given this, I think either bike will fit my needs...just trying to figure out which might be more fun. I'm a bit worried that the DS might feel a little tame compared to even my CR250 2stroke. But it's damn cool looking and a lighter bike. On the flipside, even thought the AT would be the DCT version...I would assume the bigger engine would still provide a lot of punch. Might just have to flip a coin.
  6. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a cave drawing of that bike? It might run on Baghdad batteries. lol

-Barron
    Honda-50 likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FWIW, babbitts was the least expensive place I found selling the OEM battery at $484. Revzilla seems to price most of their OEM parts at full price. Not sure how they expect people to buy from them when every other online OEM seller is discounting their price.
  9. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I have the Puig touring one, same problem. It will fit if you use their little spacers and thread all the bolts in at the same time, and bend the screen a bit. IMO it's just a bad spec; install shouldn't require that much nonsense. The holes are off, period.
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    And 250-400cc enduro's. Can't hardly find anything made in the past 17 years for less than $2k if it's in good shape.
  11. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of you with more sensitive butts than I - what does the 'G' (gravel) button on the DCT actually do? I can't tell the difference.
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding LiFe / LiIon batteries ... I was about to put one in and decided against it. I'm not an electrical engineer, but it was explained to me by a 'battery expert' that charging systems need to be tailored for the correct type of battery to get the best life out of it. So, my KLX and AT (2016) came with AGM batteries and their charging systems are set up for that, which means lithium-whatever batteries will not be optimally charged. So I decided to forgo the $180 (and 6 pounds lighter) batteries in favor of the tried and true and much cheaper AGM batteries.

That being said ... we did run a Shoria 6+ years ago in my wife's old SV650 and it lasted about 4 years; the last year it was hit-miss whether it would start. It really didn't like starting below 60F.
  13. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    As I understand it, the G button shortens the time it takes to shift from one gear to the next.
    I can't tell much difference either.
  14. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    It also holds on to gears a bit longer. The easiest way to tell is in D mode on the road. Try regular mild acceleration in D and note the shift points (MPH). Try the same with the G button ON and see the difference.
  15. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    G Mode changes how much slip in is the clutch. The S modes are the part that is working gear changes shorter or longer and holding gears under higher RPM.

Best way to tell how G mode works is leave it in D and from a dead stop feed in the throttle slowly.. as if you just want to edge the bike forward a foot or two, you will notice how the rpm's increase and the clutch is slow to engage. Same thing but hit the G Mode and you will see how it now engages quicker and stronger then before.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  16. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you say, but try it and you'll see what I mean. Easiest to check in D mode since it changes the gears so early. I can't tell you why it does it, but you can see for yourself that it does change with the G button.

Cheers
  17. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    DCT before the AT did not have the G-mode, in fact, it's only available on the AT right now.
    The AT is the only bike considered to be off-road capable- because it has the G-mode.
    You could use it for everyday riding, but you're not using it for its intended purpose.
    Without going into too much technical detail the summary description of "feel" that it gives you is
    that it enables you to ride the bike more like a dual sport than a scooter.
    PS. nothing wrong with riding a scoot off-road :)
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that.I have been thinking about getting a DRZ400 but crazy prices.Most likely just get a used 500 katoom as that is what will truly satisfy me.Going to be a long winter to think about it.
  19. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't you think you have enough bikes already???? :hmmmmm
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to own 1 of each before I die.Setting myself up to live in a box under a bridge when I retire.
    mike54 and twinrider like this.