The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan to use SW -Motech. I had a set of their racks on my CB500X and really liked them for quality and quick removal ability.
  2. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see pics of someone's Tutoro chain oiler installation on their AT.

Route inside the swingarm?
  3. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick questions for those of you doing 2 up. We've been on a CB500X (Rally Raid) for awhile, and are thinking of the AT for more room to move around, and overall comfort -- especially as our middle aged knees get achey after awhile. Thoughts? Comparisions?
    Gemel likes this.
  4. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Have done a lot of miles with my daughter on the back who is 19 and we have found there is a good amount of room and the split seats are nice for the passenger not staring at the back of your head.
    markinthailand likes this.
  5. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Just a question or two since I know mine went together perfectly with no complications..
    Have you had your bike since new?
    Have you dropped the bike and how many miles are on it?
    Have you looked under the front panels to see if the support has cracked or been previously repaired?
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have been on a few rides with my wife on the back. It's definitely not cramped for her and she sits back a good bit behind me. She's only 5' tall though. She still wants me to get a new generation Goldwing though at some point, which I am all for, just couldn't be an only bike.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    18000 on mine almost all 2 up.Wife likes bike even more than me.I am 6'2" with 36 inseam and wife is 5'4".I get on bike then she uses my left peg as ladder and works well.Stock seat hurt me so put on Sargent seat and puig windshield clip on to kill buffeting. Use the bike for super slab to beat up logging roads and does the trick.It is a good 2 up bike for all around adventuring.It is top heavy of course with 2 people and need to respect when chugging around trails in 1st.
  8. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    With reference to the TC/ABS dongle....I have one new in the package...with no install instructions. Can you offer any assistance?
  9. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark,

I just spent a week 1-up on Ian's 500X, and I have a 2016 Africa Twin here at home that I do a bunch of 2-up riding on.

I'm 6' with a 32 inch inseam (long torso short legs) -- I would describe the 500X ergos as "cramped overall" and the Africa Twin ergos as "slightly cramped, but only between the seat and the pegs".

The AT has a lot of fore-aft room in the seat area, which gives a good reach to the bars and allows me to readjust my seating position when riding.

My GF is happy with the pillion seat comfort, but she is tiny and doesn't really care what she is sitting on.

Another data point - my commuter bike is a 2003 Vstrom 1000. The AT ergonomics are way better than the old Vstrom. The Vstrom seat itself is more comfortable than the AT seat, but it doesn't allow for as much movement and the ergos are a lot more cramped in every direction.

My GF finds the vstrom pillion seat to be better than the AT seat, as long as there is no top box on the vstrom. The vstrom factory top box mounting points are quite far forward, which cramp up her sitting area. If we were to go on a long trip in the vstrom I'd relocate the top box about 1" further rearward to give her more room.
  10. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put about 15K miles on a CB500X RR and some of that was 2up. We did a few multi day trips on thc CB and although I was quite impressed with how well the little bike handled it, 2 up is definitely cramped on the CB.

I sold my CB a few months ago and picked up a leftover 19 AT a few weeks ago and one of the main reasons was for more 2 up riding in the coming years. The AT has a lot more room to move around, more suspension and luggage capacity and way more power if you are riding somewhere with higher speed highways.

We have only done a few short rides on the AT together but my wife says it is way more roomy and comfortable than the CB from the pillion.
  11. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I kept hose external. Didn't want to add area for water ingress etc.
    20191209_124336.jpg 20191209_124318.jpg
    misterk, Junglejeff1 and davidji like this.
  12. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the comparisons on 2 up on the RR CB500X vs the AT. Sounds like the AT is the ticket. Now to figure out how to sell the CB and get the budget for the AT...
  13. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my AT specifically for two up riding. The seat room length wise is one of the best and it is a comfortable bike to ride. The torque and power combination, while not setting the world on fire, is more than adequate. I did have to tune the rear suspension as there was too much sag for gravel riding two up, let alone two up with luggage. Mind you I am a bigger boy so that was always going to happen.
  14. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Once great thing about living in Chiang Mai is I can rent an AT for the weekend and get a feel for it. Maybe help convince my pillion it is worth it... :-)
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I have done a few short rides....she likes it and can see over my head.
  16. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    errmm...this is the one from Richard?
    they come with printed instructions. If you didn't get them, get a hold of him via youtube and he will email you over a copy.
  17. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Sure is. But its by necessity. it does feel great to go for a ride in the winter.
    Smittyrunner likes this.
  18. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mini me. D834A362-D823-4CA1-89E7-95B78DCAD3D0.jpeg
  19. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Got a set for my boy who's obsessed with motorcycles. It was a 3 pack, one of those, a crf250l, and a ktm rc8. He was 2 at the time, still has it a year later..... "it's daddy's mo." (tho mines a red white and blue).
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the RC8 break right away lol.
    Fat Toney, CRIAKLR, windowto and 2 others like this.