1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Dear Honda,

Can you please explain why you A. Don't sell Africa Twin air filters as a set? Do people really replace just one? And B. What the hell about them makes you think $40 each/ $80 a set is a realistic price?

Thanks, Noodle Forks from Colorado.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put out for the twin air set up.I was surprised how well it worked.Surface was clogged at 7000 miles of heavy dust but perfectly clean in airbox.Put hi flow filters in but putting twin air back in this winter.They simply work very well.
    neanderthal and zgfiredude like this.
  3. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    38k km from original chain and sprockets.
    32k km from second set. About to get changed out.
    I find i get good run out of oem fitted chain etc, but rarely get much more than 30k km there after. Been the same on all bikes i've owned. Made no difference either using spray on lube or auto oiler set up.
    Amphib and MrKiwi like this.
  4. MrKiwi

MrKiwi old enough that I should know better Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just tried searching to see if I could find the answer but not good on my cell phone

Anyone who has fitted the ATO rear rack had problems. I was one of the first to buy one and recently noticed this on both sides ...

IMG20191210192252.jpg

IMG20191210192314.jpg
  5. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    for 20 bucks more I could get re-usable K and N filters. Fit well, keep the airbox clean. oh ya..I don't have to buy another filter!
    [​IMG]
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The twin air's are also cleanable and I never have to buy again.I have run k&N filters also in vehicles and a good filter.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a bummer for what that dude was charging for them.At least it can be easily welded up stronger than it was.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  8. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    yep...several way to skin the kitty.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1980 I purchased my 1st new bike.It was a new can am 250 Qualifier. It had a k&N filter with a foam pre filter.Took in air behind the number plate nice and high simular to AT set up.Was a wonderful set up that helped protect the motor from a 17 punk kid.This would be the ultimate set up for AT guy that is doing rtw stuff.
  10. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    OEM air filters aren't real cheap, but they work.
    Have used K and N in the past. Don't filter as well.
    neanderthal, Drum Dog and chittyrox like this.
  11. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    I think I'll keep the slightly dirty OEM filters as a backup, return the new OEM's and order the Twin Air.....I already have the cleaner and oil from a previous bike. I have a K&N on another bike as well, but something deep in my being says not to K&N the AT.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only go by what I did not see.Inside of air box behind filter looked like new.But on the other hand I do not ride with other bikes on AT so low dust conditions. My dirt bikes get ridden in high dust conditions and never had issues with dirt getting through. But of course you need to service often which is so much easier than working on AT.https://www.perrin.com/blog/post/foam-filter-q-a-why-they-are-the-best
    A good write up and yes it is by the maker but most agree with there findings.I will stick with foam as it has proven itself to me for many years.I will also never use k&N again unless it has a foam pre filter.
    Motociclo likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea not to use k&N oil on foam filter.I have tried it and just not correct formula for foam.I have use belray Yamaha maxima and honda foam oils and all worked great.Stay away from the new eco friendly oils as there garbage.I clean with mineral spirits then soapy water and rinse out and dry overnight.I then use the plastic bag trick to try to keep my hands clean.
    zgfiredude likes this.
  14. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Foam are proven for sure.
    Twin air are pretty good.
    I have used twin air and uni filter products on mx bikes. No complaints.
    I agree, foam are a good option for adventure bikes in general. OEM are pricy, but i just swap out and go.

As for k and n, ran on a Hayabusa. Too much crap getting through.
    There those that love'm, not me. Never again. Would never recommend.

The industry i work in, only paper type used. Granted, time is money, but if its good enough for those engines, oem paper good enough for me.
    Drum Dog, chittyrox, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree,My stuffed up stockers also worked fine.I mainly did it to not get robbed by dealer in future.I was shocked by the price of fricken paper filters.I was also shocked by the price of the twin air filters but got over it 1st time I cleaned them.Do not know the reason I put hi flows in but will junk them this winter.Damn things most likly still look like new with only about 1500 miles on them.
  16. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    The price of oem consumables is robbery.
    Spark plugs are 25 a piece here. Can't remember the valve cover gasket cost, but wasn't cheap.

I am all but at 70k km. The planets have aligned. This service, new tyres, new chain and sprocs, new brake pads alround, service forks, plus all the usual stuff.

Then 75k km, valve check, coolant, brake fluid, air filters, full strip and grease, service shock, Plus the usual stuff. Expensive couple of services.

I change oil every 5k. Have had oil analysis done a few times. No way i would let it go further.
    PistolPetey, Junglejeff1 and DCTFAN like this.
  17. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I've tried oiled filters in my tenere. Messy stuff, but worked well.
    oiled foam is all I use in the dirt bike, and basically clean/oil three at once, bag two, and have them ready to swap out.
    K and N does ok on the AT, and in my frontier. Zero crap through that i can see..
    Re-usable, and easy enough to clean/prep.

Agree on the oil. It's relatively cheap.
    5k is my mark for regular honda oil. I may be switching up to a synthetic oil, off the shelf stuff at a local car shop.
    No it will not be bike specific, but I ran the same shit in my dirt bikes for years, and on the tenere. Zero issues with clutch slip.
    Motociclo and Junglejeff1 like this.
  18. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    you talking about no toil Jeff?
    I use it, and it works great. Oil stays on, and doesn't let shit through.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never tried that one.I won a bottle of some eco friendly stuff this summer at a trials.When water hit it it turned into snot.I just stick to my tried and true petrol products.
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    ah gotcha.
    The no toil is quite good. Very little dry product needed to clean it, and the oil goes a long way, and stays on
    Junglejeff1 likes this.