The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plastics.....now I get it....I understand why they are there....to make the bike look like we want it to look. But on this type of bike.....yea this type of bike....honda are not stupid and knows just where 99% of these things are going to be used. Mine is going to be a commuter......over gravel and crappy country roads......I want something to take the bumps and not put them into my butt....my old versys was a bit stiff for this kind of work.

My AT came to me after I killed the Versys after hitting a deer. Even laying on the side of the road in the dark I was thinking of the plastics...how much is that going to cost. After I got back home I started looking stuff up...this is before I found out about the damaged case and it leaking oil.....the plastic is expensive.

Now all that said I LOVE.....as in LOVE the AT....its looks, its stance, how it sounds, this bike is so special (SHE) got a name.....never name a vehicle.....and how it deals with the marginal roads I ride to work on.....60-ish mile round trip and most of it on at best county lettered highways.

But the guy that just bounced off the deer wanted those crash bars....wants to order a better plate for the bottom....and put enough lights on her to see the deer a mile away.....

I also had read enough to know....I do not want to mess with this bike too much....I have had a TS100 torn apart for over a year now and work on it just here and there when I feel like it.....the AT is going to be my way back and forth to work when snow is not falling.....so I get all the "service" done at the dealer.....I know me, so this is the best thing for the bike.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Why would I take the 2020?

I like tubeless wheels and cruise control on my touring bikes. A more powerful engine is also a plus as is the IMU, which should improve the AT's ABS and the old school TC, which triggered easily and abruptly. Personally I don't care much about the TFT dash, but the 18-19 dash is almost like a mirror the way it reflects glare so at least that would be fixed. Finally, the 2020 is lighter as well.

What don't you like about the above?

As far as politics go, I'm far from a lib Dem, so it sounds like we would agree there. :D
  3. Dave77459

Dave77459 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, same experience except I watched a couple YouTube videos about installing farkles so I knew what to expect and my first time only took 45 minutes. :)
    Also helpful has been outfitting my carry toolkit, so I always have the right tools on hand.
  4. Ed

Ed Eh...what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of farkles and plastics... Last weekend I pulled the fairings, windscreen, tank and air box to clean up some previous wiring and install an Altrider upper crash bar (thanks @swimmer) and a set of Denali lights I took off of my old R12GS. The AT is such a pain in the ass to strip down and work on compared to my old BMW, or any other bike I have owned for that matter. Not much room for running wires and mounting accessories either. The air box was free of dust, but did have more oil than I expected. I guess that's why Honda gave it three drains. I replaced the air filters with OEM units even though they could have gone longer. Next time, I will probably get Twin Air filters given the cost. They seem to be the best of the reusable filters. I've had bad luck with K&N and aftermarket paper filters. Next up on the farkle list is a B&B Dakar bash plate from @procycle. I'm having to wait a bit on that though, I have a wedding to pay for soon. IMG_6172.JPG IMG_6174.JPG
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Thoughts on those Dunlop missions you're running?
  6. Ed

Ed Eh...what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far, I like them. I only have a few hundred miles on them, mostly tarmac. They grip like a good touring tire on the road. They work well in the wet. I only have one off pavement ride on them so far, but they work as I expected off road. Good grip in the gravel and packed dirt. The side lugs are great for climbing out of ruts and side hilling. They are lousy on ice. :doh See THIS post.
    Honda-50, procycle and Amphib like this.
  7. SSunklug

SSunklug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody had the accessories hooked up to their PC8 quit working after a battery change? The pos and neg connectors are tightly fastened in the right place, and I checked the main and accessory fuses and they’re all good - but nothing switched off the power is working.
  9. SpencerR

SpencerR ShiftGearsChugBeers

Oddometer:
    Can someone help me out? I am going to install an Eastern Beaver PC8 and I have some Denali S4 lights to wire up. I want to be able to have the lights on/off only by the included switch (able to have them on or off while low beam, on or off while high beam). What do I do with the trigger wire? I just want to be able to switch them on/off via the switch on the included wiring unit. Thanks!
  10. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Under the seat, on the seat lock side, under the top horizontal frame tube, there is a hidden thick red wire with a black tape and a clear tube for isolation, this is a constant 12V+ wire straight from the batterie with the 15A fuse in the starter solenoid housing. U can use this for the PC8 B+ connection.
    If you use power relais for acc. like foglight, horn, heated gear output, you need a ignition switched B+ acc. For this, also under the seat, there is a wire loom connector with a dummy-plug, use the red/white wire as B+ acc. to control the ON/OFF for the switches to relaiscontrols
    windowto and NJDualsporter like this.
  11. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends which type of switch you're working with.
    The standard kit only comes with the ON/Off. What you need for your pupose is the 3-pole switch ON/Lo/HI.
    But there is a way to do what you want with the 2-pole S/W
    There are 2 trigger wires- one relay and the other for HI-beam (assuming you are using Denali's Datadim Module)
    1. connect the HI-beam trigger to the HI-beam (blue wire)
    2. connect the s/w between the relay and any AUX power source; preferably one that powers with the ignition.

PS. if you have something like the PC8, step 2 can be any of the available slots on it
  12. Ed

Ed Eh...what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you are using the PC8, get the AT specific wiring harness and follow the instructions. For switched high and low beam, tap into the accessory connector forward of the instrument panel. The blue wire is switched 12v with the high beams and can be used for a trigger signal to the Denali's. Eastern beaver also sells a pre-made harness just for this.
  13. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Maybe the relay is not working. I'd check the posi-tab connection if any.
  14. SpencerR

Oddometer:
    I do not have the data dim. The harness that came with my lights just has a white trigger wire and an On/Off switch. I only want on/off operation. I do NOT want them to only come on when my high beam is on. I went them to be independent of the low or high beam.

I have the AT specific PC8, is that what you mean? Also I'm looking for the lights to function independent of the AT beam intensity. I just want to be able to flip them on and off regardless of high beam or low beam. Can I just posi tap a wire somewhere under the seat?
  15. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone recommend me a brand/model lithium battery, available in Europe, for my 2017's?
    I know that the Shorai it's the more liked, but I can't get one there. Here I've found JMT and Shido, but I don't know how they are.
    Also I'm so confused about the amps. They seem to be so less than the lead ones. 6-7 vs 12.

About that, my second honda battery has failed on me just after the 2yr mark. The first was covered under warranty, they had to swap it on the door to deliver the bike. :doh
  16. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience, Shido is better than JMT, but Antigravity are the best (and, the lightest, and most expensive).
  17. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Muchas gracias, Sr Carballo. :thumb
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    That makes it simpler.
    Just connect the white trigger wire to the PC8.
    It is a trigger for the relay to power the lights- the switch will handle the ON/Off.
    Usually the white trigger is supposed to be tied to an ignition ON source.
  19. SpencerR

Oddometer:
    Can I just put the trigger and the positive lead into the same terminal on the PC8? If you cant tell, my electrical wiring knowledge is on the elementary side.
  20. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's how it works. I did the same without a PC8