1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    The SW Motech racks give enough room on the left to add a Rotopax on the inside, or in my case, two tool tubes. I've chosen to have panniers that are asymmetrical to balance out the 'looks' of the bike and the weight.
    bbanker likes this.
  2. SSunklug

SSunklug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RC30 inspired...
    9355082E-45E3-4220-BFF1-3A1DBF62D0C6.jpeg
  3. Rethy

Rethy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an opinion on the Tusk aluminum hard cases and racks from RMATV. Think I will probably go with them based on price. I need to decide between the large and medium bags. Leaning towards the large bags. Any comments.....
  4. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the tusk racks. They’re … fine. But if you can swing the difference, look at Outback Motortek’s. The Tusk are pretty basic, and one of mine is bent from a fall. Still usable, but a bit tweaked.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    For 2018+ AT the tusk racks have better support in the rear due to the way the rear mounting point has changed.
    GIVI has taken extra steps in design to take advantage but the Tusk design benefits from the same changes.
  6. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outback-Motortek
    Mr. Fisherman and motocopter like this.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I almost went with these. You can't go wrong with the price, great company. Appear to be bullet proof. Personal preference of course and I don't always make decisions this way, but I think they're hideous.

I went with happy trail... They go on sale in the off-season, so they were just a little bit more than the tusk. I think they look better (they're all ugly to a degree). They've been bomb proof to date.

20190902_180246.jpg
    briarjumper12 likes this.
  8. Amphib

Oddometer:
    The bike is alive! Just waiting for my camel adv windscreen brace so I can finish the gps install and put the plastics on.

So that coil wire I thought I broke. I could've fixed it. They're designed to have wires replaced. There's a conductive screw inside, the wire gets cut square and it screws back in. Quick and easy. Bummer I couldn't find that info anywhere. So just an fyi for anyone who makes the same mistake or wants to replace wires.

Some thoughts on the job.....I was pretty intimidated to do it but it wasn't that bad. Everything made sense, electrical connections were easy to manipulate and they all wanted to be in the correct position to go back. Considering the tight package honda keeps everything in, I thought it was well designed. The shop manual made good sense to me. With sw motec crash bars, they did not need to be removed. I also did not remove the radiators, I just removed the top crossover hose and unbolted the radiators leaving the other hoses connected.

If anyone is on the fence about doing theirs, I say go for it. I am glad I did not skip it.... Exhausts were pretty damn tight. I plan to keep the bike on the Honda schedule.

Cheers
  9. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Rads should really come off, IMO.
    Coolant should be changed at the interval and is cheap. Makes taking the cover off, and saving the gasket a cynch.
    I'll change my gasket at 48k km.
    [​IMG]
    The nice thing is that the exhausts are screw and nut type...dead easy to adjust.

Lots of crud accumulates on the intake boots, and below them. Air hose, and nozzle are your friends in that spot.
  10. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I would have told you that when I seen you had the issue. Almost all coils are built like that.Sometimes the coil boot is bonded but can be trimmed off and wire screwed out.Yamaha often bonds them in which is quickly solved with a razor knife.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set on my '16 ... prior owner added it so it wasn't my decision, but I've been happy with them. They are probably the best bang for your buck and quality tends more toward "rough and rugged" than "refined and well-crafted". Not real happy about the internal screw to lock them to the rack but it works.
  13. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I did change the coolant.. And yes, took the opportunity to clean clean clean where I couldn't reach with the bike fully assembled. With the top hose off, the valve cover rotates 90° and out through the rear of the bike, vs out of the side like the manual shows.
    windowto likes this.
  14. Amphib

Oddometer:
    No worries. I learn better by having problems. :lol3. That's why I posted, my hopes were there was a way those can be reattached. When I pulled up a pic of the part #, the pic showed the wire attached, so thought it was soldered inside or something. When the new coil arrived, there was no spark plug boot on it.... Fuck. Talk to the Honda service department and told me how they work. I've got a spare coil now, lol
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am working hard to get that fantic trials bike back on 2 wheels so I have room to do the valve check on the AT.Just don't have enough room in garage for multiple projects. I am NOT looking forward to it at all.I really hope the intakes are fine like everyone else's seem to be.I hate having to pop the cam shaft out.Have 6 bikes in 20 x 20 garage now and quite the cluster f$ck going on tripping over stuff.
    Amphib likes this.
  16. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying your thread on that bike. What a cool project and enjoy the history that guys are sharing. I get the space thing. Doing mine in a shed. You'll probably fly through it, I was so slow, methodical, and careful, still screwed up that coil wire, but it really was no big deal. I don't have anything to compare this to since it was my first time, but everything is pretty self explanatory if someone has common sense. I was impressed with honda how fool proof it really was.

I was praying my intakes were good and they were.
    Junglejeff1 and windowto like this.
  17. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    yep!
    10 ways to skin the kitty!
  18. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    5D956B2C-87DE-4831-B6A5-814D7FC9051A.jpeg
    20X20? .......first world problems
    Nihon Newbie, Honda-50 and Amphib like this.
  19. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    True statement...

I like your taste in bikes though!

20190713_210833.jpg 20190713_171306.jpg
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer: