The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spend the coin and at a minimum, get a higher rate spring.
    Ideally a revalve to suit new spring would be best.
    Don't go down the track of considering a spacer on light oem spring. No where near worth the effort.
    N0madic, misterk and procycle like this.
  2. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Possible? Yes. Good idea? No. You risk coil-binding the spring at full compression - which could break something. The stock spring is just too wimpy. Have you cranked up the compression damping? That will help a little with managing the extra load.

Like @Motociclo said, a properly rated spring is a much better idea. And of course the stock valving is just as limp as the spring so a revalve really is needed. Warning, it's a slippery slope. Once you've sorted out the rear properly it will show you how bad the front is.
    Amphib likes this.
  3. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. I'm just trying for some improvement until I have money to throw to Rick at Cogent. I'll be getting both ends resprung and revalved at some point. I just don't have the cash yet.

I've adjusted the compression and rebound damping. I had more compression dialed in before, but it was excessively harsh on washboard and made traction an issue. More compression was good on the tarmac, but not so good off it. I think it's about as well adjusted as I'm going to get it, I was just wondering if there was an adjuster or room for adjustment on the shock for preload.

My current settings, which are a huge improvement over stock:

Forks - max pre, Reb ¾ out, comp 4 out
    Shock - max pre, Reb 2 out, comp 10 out
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I hear you. That's where I'm at. I'm about half way there. Fortunately cogent is 20 minutes away, so hopefully in a couple months I'll bring it in. Im going to be very open to their suggestions, curious what the condition of mine are in, and will be encouraging them to ride it before and after. I've been in a fix it when it breaks mode knowing I was going to be getting it worked on. I wonder what the latest recipe is coming from their experience.
  5. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I wish I was that close! I've been contemplating a road trip when the time comes, but it'll more than likely be shipping. It'd be nice if I could be there to see the condition of the forks.
  6. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5461.JPG IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5463.JPG
    Outback Motortek crash bar system arrived, WHOOT!
    Junglejeff1, Amphib and windowto like this.
  7. 84ceejay

84ceejay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a new 2017. I've been riding BMW for years, test rode one and I was sold. Did the 600 mile oil change in about 20 minutes. I am really diggin this bike! 20200307_094513.jpg
  8. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats!
    Hope you got the last 2017 :)
    It's 2020 alreadyHow many are left?
    +1

[​IMG]
  9. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    When I got mine, my local dealer supposedly had 10 more in crates. That was just before last Thanksgiving...
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  10. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good grief!
    I was wondering where mine came from. Most likely there is a US stock inventory list that dealers can order from no matter where the bike sits.
    I gave my dealer my bottom line and it only took them a few days to source one.
    It may have helped them that I did not specify a color; just the standard, DCT :)
  11. 84ceejay

84ceejay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many more there are, I bought mine in Phoenix, it was still in the crate too. I do know the dealer has a lot of crates stacked up!
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    continue to love my 2016 vin #011 with only 15K miles after i rode 370 miles yesterday

[​IMG]
  13. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Total suspension noob here but did get the .72 front fork springs and rear 10.2 spring from Cogent.
    Local shop installed and left at stock settings.
    Must say, bike seems 1/2 to 1" taller (that or my spine compressed as I've aged as on my toes now) and I would equate the ride to a 1290 Super ADV in "Sport" mode.
    Taunt is the description that comes to mind.
    Took it on a 4 hour road ride yesterday and liked it in the turns.
    Will see how performs on CO/UTBDR later this year with a full load but so far, so good.
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    That was my first step with the cogent springs. Much easier to get up on the centerstand.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  15. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    2016 Africa Twin... A question for you more knowledgable types... The rear of my front fender is rubbing the tire on one side. It is off center. I just noticed this and don't know how long it has been rubbing. I finally figured out the cause as the mount tab (the one built into the caliber) is slightly bent in on one side. I've never dropped the bike and the only person to have worked on the front end was the dealer with a fork seal replacement (warranty) and new tire mounting. I'm suspecting that as the cause.

My thought is if it bent I can use a big adjustable and bend it back. It needs 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. My caution is it is part of the caliber. The only other solution I can think of washers and a longer bolt. Opinions?
  16. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the kit that raises the fender up a bit, and adjust those bits.
    superfunkomatic, azshtr and procycle like this.
  17. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great idea!
  18. jojitsu

jojitsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the full width of the panniers when mounted on the bike and fully loaded? Wider than the handlebars?
  19. js990575

js990575 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the 2020 CRF1100 short windscreen fit 2016-2019 CRF1000 (Non adventure sports)?
  20. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fender is not installed correctly. It is plastic. You cannot bend it. The side arms may not be clipped in properly. Or the washers not oriented correctly.
    Take it back to the dealer if you can’t get it off yourself.
    blrfjr likes this.