The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Yes, I haven't had any trouble putting the AT rear wheel back on. The DR can definitely be a struggle.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  2. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outback Motortek X-frame pannier racks with Kriega OS-32 and OS-22 pannier max out* at 38 inches (96.5 cm) wide; outside-rear-seam to outside-rear-seam is more like 36... that's probably how Kriega measures theirs.
    Stock AT handlebar 34 inches (86.3 cm) wide
    Barkbusters on stock AT bars 37.5 inches (95.3 cm) wide

BEWARE, though... the OM X-Frames are supposed to play well with Kriegas, but on the AT it's impossible to get the left front buckle through the tab because the L-F upper mounting strut is in the way. In general the tabs are too tight to get the Kriega buckles through, and are metal and thus more abrasive to the lower straps (though OM did a good job chamfering the edges) and the buckles scrape the powder coat off.

I'm going to fit Kriega's OS backing plates** to my X-Frames for better fit and more options to fit small Kriega bags and Rotopax. This will make it all a bit wider than current.

*I stuffed a fat sleeping bag in the 32, and a Marmot 2P tent in the 22 just for measurement's sake.

**As soon as they're back in stock!
  3. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up my bike today after getting the Anakee Adventures installed on it. It was 65 and blue skies today, so I took an hour and did my absolute favorite version of social distancing possible. :)
  4. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have bought a few of these stickers to put on helmets and bikes.
    No one plans to crash, but if this little sticker, in the event of being unconscious, stops a well meaning person doing further damage, job done.

20200328_090320.jpg
  5. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I’m doing it wrong...

F5DF28C9-88D1-4F03-ACFD-1C5584FA3046.jpeg
  6. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone feel like helping out a simple fella? I’m trying to hardwire my GPS. I got this PC-8, got it hooked up to the battery and the connector that was under the pillion. Before I start tearing this apart trying to route the cable, I figured I’d test it out real quick. Then it dawned on me that I have zero idea what size fuse to put in. I searched around but couldn’t find anything. Also, could this power wire have more shit on it or what!

Attached Files:

7. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    I use a 10amp in PC3 for gps cable.
  8. Gnarcosis

Oddometer:
    Sweet! That’s what I’ll go with then.
  9. Ed

Ed Shunpiking Supporter

Oddometer:
    10 amp is way to high for a gps. I have 2 amp in my setup. Remember, the job of the fuse is to protect the wiring, not the component.
    DKCJ and Bike Guy like this.
  10. Gnarcosis

Oddometer:
    Ah ok. I have never had any education on wiring or electrical crap in general. Just figuring it out as I go. Thanks for the help.
  11. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    10 amp is in the 3pc.
    My gps cable has its own inline fuse/circuit breaker.
  12. Ed

Ed Shunpiking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah. That makes sense. I eliminated the inline fuse and wired my gps harness directly to my PC8.
  13. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:
  14. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Nice pics! I'm hoping to mount my tank bag to my bike tomorrow and run around with a camera as well.
  15. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that sticker?
    rbsride365 likes this.
  16. CaptDan26

CaptDan26 Still chasin the dream

Oddometer:
    Hello all, just finished up the install on my new windscreen brace. I have a 19 AT DCT and I have a phone and GPS mounted on the windscreen brace bar. Due to other inmates stating the bar would need extra bracing I emailed Vlad Voiculescu.. vladwho@gmail.com who advised he would be making some soon. We did a Paypal transaction and I purchased the brace for about $93.00 total including shipping. The brace arrived in about 10 days from Poland. It had all the hardware and Vlad linked me to a video showing the installation process. The unit it very well made and fits perfect.

The only issues a person may encounter are the bottom two bolts are a PIA to get in the holes. Get yourself some needle nosed pliers, curved if pussible. Also in Vlads video he asked you lubricate the rubber headlight gaskets on the back of the headlights. I just decided to pull them back away by partially removing them. This allowed extra space to work, which you will need. It is a tight fit, but take your time and relax and it will fit. You may email Vlad and he will guide you through the purchase process. No problems at all. Very happy with the result.

IMG_1719 (2).JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1725.JPG
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  17. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    As someone who has had 2 very serious accidents recently, these are great to have. Mine also had emergency contact info.
    rbsride365 and Motociclo like this.
  18. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200322_124727.jpg
    ...I told you! It fits!

The story behind that photo is not so simple. The fact is that I had that car in the opposite side of the country. I had a transportation scheduled but they cancelled it. So I thought of doing some touring with the bike and stop there at the return and solve the towing thing.
    But quarantine caught me there.
    So I thought: what the heck, I'll put the bike inside the car and run home.
    So when I was stopped by the police, the man got an horror face as he peeked inside and I was gently advised to continue to my home.
    It wasn't as neat as in the picture. It was full to the top with all the other parts of the bike plus the 3 hard case setup and other things I was told to bring back.
    In a Hyundai getz 3-cyl diesel. :oscar
  19. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Ebay. Heaps of vendors.
    Got one from here in Oz.
    rbsride365 and Shawn595 like this.
  20. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    WOW!!