The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that I have the bike disassembled all over the garage, I have the opportunity to thoroughly clean and grease all parts.
    I has been said that the grease in the rear wishbone and wheel bearings is insufficient from factory, and that some say that they grease it properly. I've looking at it and those are sealed bearings.
    How someone it's applying grease to those joints? Are they breaking the seals? Perhaps the bearings are different?
  2. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the suspension linkage Clean around Seals then push the centre hollow spacer /race through. I just add grease to the inner needles. Honda spec is 3% moly I believe. Couldn’t find any so used BellRay blue.
    No idea about the wheel bearings.
  3. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks pal. I'm doing it right now and both the wishbone and the damper "bones" have sleeves and can be greased. Not the wheel though.

I'm just thinking... Those needle bearings are not supposed to see high revs or heat. Should not be better putting marine great on them? I mean the sticky green/blue one.
    This thing is used underwater and keeps moisture out while still lubricating.
    FASTRacing and windowto like this.
  4. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dare I say Dupont Molykote 111? Lubricates seals and withstands some pressure... This thing is used in water pumps even. Pretty good stuff:)
  5. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda spec is for high moly content because of the small movement and high load.
  6. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Still snowing. Figured it was a good time to throw on some new rubber and get in and start cleaning the hard to reach places.

Hope I can get more than 2500 miles out these like the Anakee Wilds (which were great but wore super fast)

20200329_160231.jpg
  7. TiuSo

TiuSo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did exactly the same for my -18. I have zumo on touratech cradle and it still vibrates a lot (long arm between ram balls I guess). Needs further modifications..

IMG_7130.jpg
  8. TiuSo

TiuSo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_7135.jpg
    I think that is the best location for my zumo, I used to keep in bars (left side). Just to get rid of the vibrations/shaking..
    procycle likes this.
  9. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have about 5k on mine, and am at the point most would change it, and I would if I were going to do anything significantly off-pavement. But I think I can squeeze another 1k road-miles out of it. Excellent tire for the price.
  10. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On wheel bearings, you can use a fine pick to carefully remove the rubber seal, pack the bearings, put the seal back and install.

upload_2020-3-30_10-25-39.png
    Nihon Newbie and SuperCubic like this.
  11. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a 1st ride of 2020 on the AT.
    Gutted cat will be entertaining...
    This might help. I'm guessing you're referring to the linkage.
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2...e-and-shock-bearing-inspection-and-grease-up/
    SuperCubic likes this.
  12. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    got out on the AT, and the SV yesterday.
    AT sans baffle...its quick
    [​IMG]

working out a few bugs on the SV...
    Need better mirrors. The wide upright bars have me seeing elbows...and nothing else,
    [​IMG]
  13. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    no worries.
    all your torque values are there.
    Be careful with some of the bearing rollers as they might not be captive. Slide the spacer out partially, so it holds them in place.
    But i might be thinking about my BETA swing arm...as I was missing a few rollers there
  15. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    wow wee! I've seen fire, and I've seen rain...but I have never seen that before!
    Good on you for making it work. Desperate times call for a hyundai 3 cyl diesel! :1drink
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had the place all to yourself! nice.
  17. jojitsu

jojitsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info, cheers.. I have ended up removing my givi trekker outback racks and fitted touratech ones instead.. I now how the option of an old set of touratech zega panniers that are light, simple and sturdy as well as being only slightly wider that the bars with barkbusters, and also an old set of ortlieb/touratech endurance click that attach very quickly and easily and are very light and narrow, and can accommodate a full set of my camping gear.. Could also easily use my magadan panniers if I so wish without any modifications.
    Veeblefetzer likes this.
  18. BikesR2Funn

BikesR2Funn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who has the 2020 AT?? How much better is it??
    BRUSHCREEK likes this.
  19. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I have seen some strange shit in my life but I think you deserve some sort of award for that. My mind is still comprehending not only the disassembly and placement required but also moving a 230+kg object (the said AT) into the small tin can, then being able to remove it without the aid of a can opener.
    I think that deserves 100 out of 100 for effort never mind the bonus points that should be awarded for coming up with such a cunning plan
    chittyrox, poqomchi, 1litre and 3 others like this.
  20. SuperCubic

SuperCubic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It wasn't 230kg as it was disassembled, except engine from the frame and related parts. Like coolant circuit and underfairings.
    Then it was slided in by "strong man"
    At destination I used something like an engine crane.
    I still haven't found any scratches. Fingers crossed.

I must say that in my country, I was 1 day to a closure of all roads for non essential traffic. And I was pulled out and asked where I was from and why I was out of home.
    The car was sitting in a shop, near a family house that was abandoned for more than a year and half due to decease. I was recluded there for a week and half when I heard the incoming state of alarm and road closure.
    The house was completely emptied for safety, so no beds or working kitchen. I had almost consumed my resources so I had to go.
    A wife and a 1yr baby where awaiting for me. Strange measures for strange times, I suppose.

PS: motorcycle travel was not justified/allowed. And with everything closed, leaving the bike alone was the same as seeing it on fire.