1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
  3. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those reinforcement bars are going to be the first point of impact the way they are mounted which probably isn't what they were intended for. The mounting brackets would probably just bend on the first tip-over.

Makes me wonder what else was installed incorrectly....
    William Wolfen and windowto like this.
  4. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    On the topic of tank bag straps with fork tunnel buffer shield, I had the camera out in the shop so I thought I'd take some pics to show the detail. With the straps being run under the shield, I'm able to fit my Wolfman Explorer (a rather large tank bag) nicely and still have access to the fuel cap without having to unclip or move it when refueling:

under-deflector.jpg tank-bag-placement.jpg gas-cap-access.jpg

I also had a bit of cashish left over at the end of the month so I sprang for some additional Altrider farkles I've wanted for a while:

altridertop.jpg altriderside.jpg

Wanted to increase luggage carrying flexibility so now I can mix 'n match between small & large tail packs as well as have a good spot for the Yeti cooler (for that cold beer at ride's end, eh!):

small-tail.jpg big-tail.jpg big-small.jpg withyeti.jpg

I can even fit a nice 2 gal. gas jug in the mix to stretch out the maximum fuel range too...

Good accessorizin' to ya!
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could someone recommend a speedo healer for me.Pulling bike down for valve check soon and lowering gear ratio for better offroad ability. Would like to have speedo read properly when I do this.I am guessing tank needs to be removed for healer so might as well do it all at same time.The high 1st gear is really pissing me off and going to end up burning out clutch as constantly slipping it.
    windowto likes this.
  6. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a healtec gathering dust.
    I believe there are a few things to remove to get access to connecters.
    If you lived on same continent, i would give it to you. I don't plant to install it.

These guys make one too,

https://12oclocklabs.com/

There was someone here recently the installed a speedo healer.

Edit,
    If you want it, its yours. I got a postage quote,is better than i thought.
  7. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that looks great. I bought the Outback Motortek rack without reading the entire ad.. but now I know that they don’t fit the AS models. Haven’t committed to hacking it up and trying to custom fab something yet. Maybe I’ll try to sell it and spring for that altrider setup.
  8. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Planned a four day trip this Sat-Tues 2.5 months ago to visit some battlefields and...life happened. So still loaded up the new Mosko Moto 80 v2 to see how everything fit for future, post COVID, trips.
    Not too bad.
    Fit everything but the sandals and drone and controller. Goal was to go without tank bag but the drone was that one piece that was a "bridge to far."
    Go through again to see what can be shit-canned to free up space (MSR bottle stays--bourbon!). Do have 5 days of food packed (b-fast/dinner) and 3Qts of water but good to keep those for packing configuration purposes. Could go with separate bag on passenger rack and move the tent there and free up space in dry bag....we will see. Plenty of time now to figure it out.
    IMG_5638.jpg IMG_5639.jpg IMG_5640.jpg IMG_5645.jpg
  9. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Thanks, with all this "time on one's hands" I''ve been thinking about doing the same thing and am now further inspired/motivated. Still too cold and wet outside but there is plenty of space in the shop to prototype camp and test out gear and inventory with anything missing available a hundred yards away ... lather, rinse and repeat until all things are complete. :thumbup

Good preparations to ya!
    Aces 6 likes this.
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sits pretty far back, doesn't that get in the way when you stand and straddle the tank? Maybe you don't straddle the tank ....
  11. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    It does and I do ... but it is pliable and moves out of the way when necessary and can barely feel it through padded gear and knee guards. I don't find it to be unduly uncomfortable nor an impediment when standing on the pegs to navigate more technical terrain.

Good ergos to ya!
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and will send address.Will pm info.
  13. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeff, I recently went down a tooth on the front and spooned on a set of AX41’s. My speedo reads 2 miles low for every 30 mph. Checked against my gps. I like the lower first in the dirt. Much better.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  14. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics and the info! I'll have to experiment a little more with the straps to see what I can accomplish.

I've halfway convinced myself carrying the fly rod on the bike is as simple as zip tying it's metal case to the passenger rails. It'll definitely look comical, but whatever.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of going 16/44.The 15 I tried but was a bit low for me so going to drop slightly less.The 15 was much nicer for 2cd gear wheelies. Screenshot_2018-12-17-02-47-16.png
  16. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Got it all back together today. Had some vacation days coming up for a family trip that has since been cancelled. Might do a quick down and back to Moab for 3 days instead.

15t front felt awesome. 90mph was 6k rpms so I know it will be a thirsty pig. I think for regional trips the gearing will be fine. On a long cross country haul, I'd likely go back to the 16t

20200404_182754.jpg
  17. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    they are outboard of the main bars., and appear upside down. The joiners are meant to be on the inside...sort of like so, tough to see with the black on black..
    [​IMG]
    this one is better..
    [​IMG]
  18. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I couldn't put my finger in it..but I didn't like the 15t. Yes pickup was better, but it rev'd too high, and the gearing seemed odd in the other gears.
    I prefer the stock gearing, a gutted kitty/pcv...and a clutch..
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that 2cd gear?
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    1st gear. I'm at 3500' the AT is slighly anemic at these heights...
    mind you that was prior to the kitty gut. No way it wil wheelie in 2nd where I live.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.