The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    1st gear. I'm at 3500' the AT is slighly anemic at these heights...
    mind you that was prior to the kitty gut. No way it wil wheelie in 2nd where I live.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gosh the AT really is a good sounding ptwin.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  3. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love it. I have the Yoshimura RS-4 pipe on mine. I think I might just start it up tomorrow, despite the shit weather, just to hear her growl.
  4. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    shit weather?

We have had far too much snow, and its sort of going away...meantime between time, we're still on studs.
    The gov. shut down crown land, so we put two driveways together (large ones) and made a track.
    @Junglejeff1 right around 3.22 is a 2nd gear wheelie...a decent long one :D
    Nihon Newbie and Honda-50 like this.
  5. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    i've grown fond of 270 degree crank P.Twins. My tenere sounded great too. The below is prob one of the funnest and technical paved roads I have ever ridden.
    Rode it with the: ST, FJ09, and the Africa twin.
    Leggitt CA, to the Ocean..
    Picture says it all.
    [​IMG]

It's the same staintune slip on that's on the AT now. If memory serves, it was with a cat still at this point, later on I went to a full arrow system.
    Nihon Newbie and Aces 6 like this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tenere was ok, but I like the AT's more staccato bark better personally; plus the engine/intake noise isn't quite as loud from the driver's seat to me. A good balance all around, puts a big smile on my face every time I take it out.
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed both.
    I had a chance to take the AT out a few times between snow, and try out the new staright pipe..wow wee!
    There's many bikes that sound and work well.
    Yamaha's triples are tops for me,
    my 01 VFR gear driven with a slip on. Couldn't get comfortable on that bike, but the sound, was amazing
    2005 ST1300 with two brothers...yessss...loved that sound.
    Had a 99 Suzuki TLS with Yosh RS-4s..wooow...
    My current 2011 SV 650 with a two bros sounds great too..

it's all good!
  8. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI
    Coparts salvage auction in STL has a 2017 coming up. Buy it now for $3200. Has some aftermarket parts also.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  9. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Yessiree, my ST1300 sports unbaffled Staintune exhausts and the growl that comes out of them as the tach winds up and I go through the gears is very satisfying.

Buuuuut there is something special about the 270 p-twins that ... er ... two big jugs ... um ... (.)(.) ... ahhh ... :tb ... <SLAP!!> ... <poof!!!!>, OK, sorry 'bout that ... where was I?, oh yeah, one of these days when I have the necessaries all taken care of and have the cash flow, there is an Akrapovic or a Yosh can in my Nifty-Shifty's future to make that sweet sound bark even prettier!

Good internal combustion music to ya!
    Amphib likes this.
  10. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Ah, I had a ST1300 with two brothers...that should of made the list too!
    boobs! :1drink
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous day to take it easy on some rarely treaded backroads! Amazing how few bikes you see as soon as you add some gravel...

Unfortunately my TomTom thinks that all roads are open, and planned a route that went through private farm roads in at least two occasions; oh well, just meant more chances to explore!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woohoo!

Any chance those where taken near Front Royal? My wife's family lives up there and I'm sure I'll be back up that way not long after COVID 19 passes.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of - I rode a loop out from my house through the greater Middleberg / Upperville area, swung south on the far side of Sky Meadows, and worked my way down to Washington VA before heading back East. Lots of nice riding all over that area.
  14. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Got out on the Nifty-Shifty today for a nice almost spring hundred miles or so ... still lots of snow up in the Bob:
    atas_bob_mnts.jpg
    Wasn't -70 or +70 degrees out but acceptably somewhere in between.
    atas_coldspot.jpg
    On the divide, sometimes I try and find the spot to pee where half will eventually go into the Atlantic and the other half into the Pacific. atas_rogers.jpg
    Back to backyard area of the homestead.
    atas_coppercrk.jpg
    Good heated grips and vests to ya!
    rbsride365, Motorwerx, Amphib and 6 others like this.
  15. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where they tucked the turn signal relay away on the 2017 era bikes?

Hard to tell on the spare parts diagrams
  16. Rethy

Rethy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a question for those in the know. I picked up a new holdover 2017 in January. Weather has not cooperated much lately but turned just over 1000 miles on it today. Got home and the left fork seal is blown. Fork oil ran down and puddle on the floor. I am familiar with the procedure of removing the dustseal and cleaning the oil seal with a film negative. I use this often on my dirt bike. However I have never seen a seal leak this bad and be revived. Should I see if they will replace seals in both forks. I suspect maybe an age thing. Manufacture date 6-16. Been Sitting for almost 3.5 years.
  17. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    If you rode through wet/dirty stuff, had it dry on the tubes and then had shock action shove it past the wiper and into the seals, that'll do it. I've done the seal cleaning drill three times on mine and they have sealed up every time. When doing the cleaning, a good bit of oil will come out helping to flush the crud to let you know it is being done right.

I'm now kinda OCD about wiping down the tubes with a cloth or paper towel if they've been splattered with mud and grunge so it doesn't keep happenning. I do have the special tools, fresh seals and o-rings on the way to do a fork job since there may be grit still inside there wearing on the bushings and stuff. Once re-sealed, I'm also going to install Seal Savors as a preventative measure so it doesn't keep happenning.

Good getting forked to ya!
  18. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been raining cats and dogs here on the coast, supposed to continue through Wednesday.

That's the northernmost section of California SR-1, and is indeed a crazy awesome, technical wonderland of a road!! Have had the pleasure of blasting that section a few times, always super fun!!

The service manual seems to show that it's under the tank. I think it might be down in that space under the ETC tray, like where the charcoal canister lives, under where the fuse block and headlight relays are.
  19. Rethy

Rethy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it is a little disappointing. I aligned the forks when I first brought it home. The fork tubes get cleaned before each ride if there is any buildup on them. Ironically I cleaned them before the ride yesterday. Not sure how much fluid I lost but it was dripping off the the fork and now a significant puddle on the floor. Not sure there is anything I could have done more to prevent this. I have the tools to replace the seals as well. For reference I put 40K miles on my S10 with same procedures before a leaking fork seal. I will slide the wiper down and try cleaning the seal. I just have not revived one leaking this severely.
    Thanks for the reply,
  20. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I fixed mine when it did the same thing just a few weeks ago. It was dripping pretty badly. There's still a strain on my parking spot at work. I had gotten stuck in the mud recently though... Took 2 cleanings, but I fixed it. I ordered fork seals just in case though, the Kawasaki ones.