1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    :D
    Ok, I like fingering holes as much as the next guy:1drink
    but as I mentined above, it fails rather quickly, due to the weight of the bike.
    And yes I fingered said bearing recently:flush
    I've had bearings on my dirt bikes feel fine, and actually feel them getting shitty on a trail, but that means I just have to make it back to the truck.

For me, $13 cdn..which is bacially $2 usd now in days is cheap insurance.
    PistolPetey and windowto like this.
  2. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    thanks for that.
    Yes, my wholesaler typically stocks FAG, or similar. I ain't got no money for SKF...but will ask.
    Edit. Asked, its FAG, which I used before, with very good results. They are a notch below SKF..Sort of like Lexus and Toyota...
    redneckmech likes this.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    *buys Ohlins forks*
    "Has No Money for SKF"
    rbsride365 and Nihon Newbie like this.
  4. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    A couple years back I got a 10 pack on amazon for about $9 US per bearing. Not sure if they are still available but it was less expensive than anywhere else at the time and I have extras!
  5. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    i'm going to go ahead and ignore the above.
    FAG is on par with SKF bearings.
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    yep. All good. For $13 per piece, it's not very expensive
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    19 k miles so far with no issue but going to give a real good check over soon when I mount new tires.They have spent quite a bit of time under water so will at least pop the dust cap and re grease.I washed the bike after a mud run a couple days ago and checked and seemed fine.
  9. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    not much there to re grease. It's a sealed bearing.
    you can grease the shaft..insert joke here...whoa! double whammy :D
    for the price, I'll swap them and forget them.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likly best idea.I have never tried the seal pop thing before. A 10 pack sleave of bearings is cheap anyway.
  11. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I bought two. Good for 60k..cheap insurance.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  12. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know every time I think I need to re-gear a bike, I always end up going back to stock. I guess the engineers have it figured out.
    windowto and William Wolfen like this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likly best idea.I have never tried the seal pop thing before. A 10 pack sleave of bearings is cheap anyway.
    I have not found that.Most of my bikes have been geared lower.Depends on what your doing and I ain't using this thing for touring.All my offroad bikes have had lower gearing as we mainly run very tight nasty single track. My AT is mainly for 2 up back roads,logging roads and atv trail.What a lot of guys out west call single track is a super highway in upper mi.
    maddoggie501 and windowto like this.
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    dunno...my dirt bikes were all/is geared properly. For a 300 2S, 13T is ideal. I think I have a 48 out back. But Beta's are very different from KTM/Huskers, even with 13T. I can easily start in 2nd, with next to no clutch, and quickly end up in 4th for traction.
    I tried a 12T once...you could climb trees...and it wore super quick. Not for me.
    One man single track is another man's highway.
    We have a lot of slow technical riding. Rockies are about 45 min away. Very few open sections.
    chittyrox likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ktm exc,s were perfect but one of the things we would do on a yz convertion was lower gearing.Saying gearing is always perfect and the engineers must know what they are doing is funny shit.Just like suspension it is set to most use standard.I do not ussaully change the front as it is to much of a jump.1 to 2 teeth on rear sprocket ussaully more useful to tune in.I did drop the front on my trials bike from 11 to 10 which is totally bitchen.
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    very true..all of the above is built to appeal to the average rider. But in their defense it makes sense
  17. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Just to get a conformation.

For those who owned a KLR before,

How much lower COG and flicakable is the first gen base model with the low seat AT in comparison?

I sat on a base model with the low seat and I'm positive she did not have a battery or juice, and she felt like she was as light as a mid size bike. Seems like we are paying for the engineering and R/D more than engine performance. Which is fine. I do not want her to tip over at the least little bit off stress.

I would be able to get both feet flat with the low seat. Even better when you put her in the low setting.
    ____
    I could see myself getting a left over 2019 model.
    The 2020 model is lighter and stuff, but still no 12volt and the shield is even smaller. I can't really see the need to upgrade and pay like $3000 more or so. Especially on a brand new generation, bugs and all.
  18. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on the KLR. I had a DR650. Stock seat, re-worked suspension with heavier springs for proper sag etc. I'm 150 lbs with 32" inseam. Balls of feet on the ground. Bike was happy on single track.
    My 2017 AT feels like the DR sometimes, like when riding uphill or downhill on crappy rocky washed out forest service roads. Actually feels better than the DR railing through corners. I've redone the AT suspension - 27% sag so the seat height is a bit higher than with stock springs - the ride is plush through potholes, roots and rocks though. I run the seat in the low position. Balls of feet touch on flat ground.

I really don't understand the need or want for both feet flat. That's a cruiser mentality. You should be comfortable using one foot for balance.
    http://www.brake-magazine.com/how-to-use-one-foot-for-balance/

Or listen to Jimmy Lewis http://www.brake-magazine.com/the-coronavirus-garage-bike-skills-challenge/
  19. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Excellent,

That is what another Inmate typed in another thread. I had the MIGHTY DR too. I sold her before I went out west for college.

I just figured having the engine even lower to the ground would help even more with the already well engineered package (COG).
    I would put the seat in the higher position and put something like extra padding on the seat for more comfort and commanding views when just touring around. If I get into some rough stuff, I can keep the seat really low after taking off the padding and help with preventing tip overs.

Thanks for the quick reply and detail.
  20. Rethy

Rethy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys buying your SKF seals. I usually buy from RMATV and Revzilla. Neither have them for the AT. Do you have part numbers for seal and wipers. I think I will just do it myself instead of warranty.