1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Exactly, or when he's set up to do the work himself. It doesn't require any specialized tools, just patience, time and a clean working space.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  2. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    good idea, but bring the hockey stick...in case they get too close! cause...covid!
    MikefromNL, cblais19 and windowto like this.
  3. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys @Greg the pole @Mikeeep @NorskieRider.

I was planning on doing the service in a friends garage, or at one of the two local DIY motorcycle shops, but I don't think I am going to be able to see said friend for months and the shops are closed. I'm just at about 23k now, and the miles aren't exactly skyrocketing now with me working from home, all rec areas closed, and all small towns asking people to stay away. The missus lost her job yesterday now too so that makes the decision a bit more obvious as well. It's looking more like I will not be riding much and do the valve check myself once some of the restrictions are lifted.

The good news in all this is that I am going to end up with a bunch of saved up vacation time for next year! One big ID/CO/NV/CA BDR trip anyone? :clap
  4. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    good deal!

Not sure about a big BDR trip, but would love to do Washington and Colorado some day.
    I heard mixed results about California, and Nevada. Both have some truly hellish sections (sand...)

I forgot to tell you, for your chain, invest in a qulity riveting tool. I'll cost you $100 and pay for itself on the 1st chain.
  5. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to avoid buying tools over the past couple years after selling off a commercial woodworking shops worth of tools in 2017, but that's probably a good idea. I had a cheap one (Harbour freight? lol) that I broke installing the third or fourth chain on the old KLR.
    What do you use for cutting off the existing chain? I've always used a grinder but that won't fly in my underground parking spot.

I did WABDR last year and it was good fun but by the end of it I was wanting something more challenging. I bought the COBDR map at last years Touratech Rally with the plan to do it this year but I don't think that will be happening.
  6. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Air cut off tool, with a disk, or a grinder to grind off just the heads, then use the tool to press through.
    I'll be due for a chain/sprockets at the end of the season, I could prob do a crap vid about it, if there's interest. Straight forward job, just to show tools, and how not to do things..
    I have some japanese press/riveting tool. Used many of times with zero issues, or shit breaking. it was $100.

I enjoyed the ID BDR. For a 1st BDR it was a great mix of techincal, fast, and easy riding.
  7. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would also stick with OEM sprockets. I've noticed they last longer and are often much quieter.
    rbsride365, Amphib and MikefromNL like this.
  8. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 2nd front sprocket.
    Wasn't able to find oem 16T, but have a sunstar which is good quality. Hope is to go 2 fronts, to one rear, and chain.
  9. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to make a product recommendation?

This topic is very relevant to me because my new-to-me AT has 14,600 on the clock. With the exception of replacing the rear main seal, and the fuel meter tank strips (both under warranty) I did all my own maintenance on my R12GS's. Never had to replace a chain with those. :)
  10. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This is helpful info to keep in mind.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    My AT will hit 20k on the next ride. Still have original chain and sprockets. Right now, rears sprocket and chain check pretty good. The front has less miles because I went down one tooth for the summer of '18 out in the Rockies.
  12. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    give me a day or so. Will head over to the garage and take a few pictures... no wait...google says I have this one.
    Works like a hot damn!
    One thing i do is always cut my old chain. I don't bother with trying to remove the pins from the old one.
    then rivet on using the tool
    TimmyTheHog, Shawn595 and windowto like this.
  13. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    front tire saving..
    TimmyTheHog, gammel and windowto like this.
  14. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Thank you! This is very helpful. I'm a big fan of buying tools before you actually need them. :)
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harbor freight has cheap ones which are ok and the Menard 30$ units are louder but work well and are more powerful.Cutting discs are cheap. If your not a fabricator you don't need anything fancy.Be careful as they can bite.
  16. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I would absolutely not pay that, if I were you. As others have said, it's not really hard, just a lot of disassembly and pain in the butt. Make sure your fuel tank is running on E when you go to do it; makes lifting it off a lot easier. For far less than you would pay a shop you could flat out rent a storage unit for a week or even a month and have all the space you want, if it really came to that.

If you really do need to do the front sprocket, remember to loosen the countershaft first while the chain is still set up, that way you can lock the rear wheel with the rear brake, rather than load the transmission with all that torque trying to loosen it.
    PistolPetey, Amphib, blrfjr and 3 others like this.
  17. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it all adds up but that's a lot of money for basic maintenance. If you're not planning on doing a lot of riding this year I would defer the valve inspection to the off season and look at doing it yourself which will be easier when this virus thing settles down. I checked my AT valves last year a little early at around 20,000 Km and they were all in spec my Dad has a 2012 Honda CBF1000, last year I did some maintenance for him the bike had around 60,000 Km and the valves had never been checked, they were all in spec not just close they were all right in the middle of the range. A few examples of strangers bikes being OK doesn't mean you should skip the valve inspection but I would have no problem putting it off until a more convenient time.
    neanderthal likes this.
  18. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had that service done on my 2017 at local dealer @ 23,500km early Feb. I pulled the plastics and bash plate. Left the SWM crash bars on. Made it easier on the tech - the labour charge was $840 (6 hours I think)
    Parts, including Motul 5100 oil & filter, 4 spark plugs and gaskets $345
    Didn't get the coolant flushed - should have as it's been 3-years
    Paid additional $140 to above to get brake fluid flushed - first time it's been done.

Glad I got it done and didn't push the valves
    Intake valves were in spec at .006 / .007
    Exhausts were tight at .007 / .008 => reset to .009

I Bought Honda OEM sprockets and DID VX chain. Chain was spitting o-rings at 24kkm. Ground the pins with Dremel and used MotionPro tool to punch them out.
    Had to shorten the new chain - grind the pins etc. Bit of a pain working on the garage floor. All worked out OK.
    PistolPetey, Amphib and Nihon Newbie like this.
  19. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Good reminder on the coolant flush. That had not crossed my mind. Then again, this is the first of the four bikes I've owned that has water cooling. (1991 Honda Nighthawk, 2005 R1200G, and 2009 R1200 GS)
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  20. Shawn595

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.