The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used dynamic beads on a street bike.They work just fine except for a issue I had a few times.Sometimes when checking your air pressure a bead will get stuck in valve.Best to keep stem high when checking and have air available on the spot.A quick blast of air ussaully pushes the bead back into tire. I would still use them on a more showy bike but just use stick on weights with a piece of black tape over them on my black rims.
  2. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a part # for the 2nd Gen controller? And do you know if it will swap out the 2107 version?
    I need more heat.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Balancing beads are a poor way to balance a wheel. In general they do work, but only because gravity means they're pretty much on the bottom of the wheel most times, even when it's rolling. Sure they'll ride up the tire as it rotates, but most of them will be in the bottom ... third of the wheel, making it the heaviest "point" of the tire, preventing any imbalance from reaching that harmonic where a certain speed makes the tire oscillate up and down.
    redneckmech likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides the beads getting stuck in the valve I never noticed any drawbacks. Most likly because it was on a 800 lb yamaha roadstar.The only way that bike could be considered quick is if you dropped it off a cliff.At the time I could not find anyone local to ballance my wheels so tried the beads.I alway thought it was pretty hokey and my 30 dollar harbor freight ballancer works great.HB sells various sticky weights pretty cheap also.
    cblais19 likes this.
  5. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    I did some searching through my disorganized mess of files, images, etc for the AT and came across this part number: 35530-MJP-G53, it was the updated version of 35530-MJP-G52. I cannot recall where I found this but seems to make sense that something was changed/upgraded as per the rider I had met at that gas stop.
    Shawn595 and Aces 6 like this.
  6. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ll follow up with the dealer Thai bought the bike and grips from.
  7. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    Hope that works, please let us know...
  8. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Got the family all cleaned up today. Now to decide on what to ride this weekend 20200519_172902.jpg
    NSFW, Pcfly, Crosstrekfisher and 16 others like this.
  9. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Awesome. Seems like you have some overlap. Do you have others bikes, too?
  10. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    The AT replaced my Ducati. I can ride it on the street just ask quickly as I could the Duc..... it's waaaaaay more comfortable than a street bike PLUS is gets to go down cool desert roads and some trails and can eat up miles and miles of highway when needed. It's my daily commuter and will be a ADV/Camping bike too. I did jump it a bit too much last year and have a dreaded left fork seal leak now (will try to clean the seals and see if I can slow it)

450L is the tight trail enduro and harder desert bike
    250L is technically the wifes bike.... but still a hoot to ride around as it's so smooth to ride
    windowto likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a guy who has a 250L & a 790 AdvR, and he was just noting on Twitter the other day that it’s hilarious how the 250 is smoother at 70mph on the highway.
    blrfjr and Moshaholic2 like this.
  12. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    The 250L is the least vibrating, smoothest moto I think I have ever ridden. This one is even running a 1 tooth smaller in the front... so it should be "buzzier"... but compared to the other two it's glass smooth.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a 250L Rally. That engine was so happy to spin it's brains out going down the highway. It was so Honda.
  14. N0madic

N0madic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ian.H, procycle and RustySpokes like this.
  15. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    It was a big bike kinda day. Thank you Rallyform skidplate. Aimed for a rock that I thought was pretty embedded to try to pop off of..... and it kicked up with a super hard hit I felt up through the pegs and grips.

Bent the skidplate deep enough to leave a white mark in the bent aluminum on the opposite side.

Noticed a few more big hits after the ride that I didnt even notice when riding. They all would have put a hole in the case.

20200524_162002.jpg 20200524_170819.jpg 20200524_170053.jpg 20200524_170750.jpg 20200524_170107.jpg

And came home to a left fork leg looking like this :(
    20200524_170317.jpg
    Pcfly likes this.
  16. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Clean the seal.. that doesn;t look to bad. Are you still on the original Forks Seals?
    Pcfly and Honda-50 like this.
  17. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Just suck it up and replace the seals. Cleaning is just a very temporary fix unfortunately.
    blrfjr likes this.
  18. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Clean the seals but plan to replace. Meanwhile check out local suspension shops or decide to do it yourself.
    Worthwhile to consider stiffer springs and re-valve. Talk to Rick at Cogent - I think he figures his springs can work with stock valving if set correctly.
    Pcfly likes this.
  19. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Looking at the oil lines on your forks, you've bottomed them. Don't know how heavy you are or if you have set the sag properly, but as a minimum it looks like you should crank fork pre-load (and probably shock too) to the max!. Check out Motocyclo's posts for adjustment tips.
    Pcfly and Moshaholic2 like this.
  20. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    200lbs.... preload is maxed and compression dampening is turned up too.

Time for a heavier spring.

SKF 45mm Showa seals and wipers the right one to use? Cant find a consistent part compatibility list.