The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 205 and bike is ok if you don't go crazy.I could bottom out the stock bike at 70 on hardtop on a woopie section of road.They are sprung and valved for guys that never ride hard.Very soft cruiser set up.I bent my linkage and lower shock bolt but I was being a dumb ass and flew a 30 ft double at my local mx track.After 2000 miles I fixed the geezer glide suspension and bike is way better. Cuts hardtop corners and rips on logging roads.It is a super fun bike when you fix unreal soft suspension. 2 up the stock suspension was actually dangerous 2 up.On gravel it was hard to keep between the ditches 2 up at 40 mph.Bitch was all overy the place.Same road we now hit 70 with upgraded suspension. Only week point to stock bike is way to soft suspension and total shit shock rebound control. Bike is a animal when you fix the standard Japanese undersprung,under damped suspension.
    rbsride365 and misterk like this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a adventure bike.It is really not made to constantly jump over 10 feet and it does not pull the front end up easily. Stock you need to do a double blip in 2cd to pull a wheely.Great bike to explore on but not great to try to ride like Tony bou.Offroad very hard to get front wheel up as it ussaully just spins out even in 1st.This is my 2 up bike to make wife happy while I can still enjoy riding.If I wanted a 1 up adventure bike I would get the T7 instead. As it is I just purchased a new TRS 300 for myself yesterday as that really makes my nipples hard lol.
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I am 5'9" 31" inseam and 150lb the ATAS overall has a pretty good suspension setup for me other than being a bit of the soft side for aggressive riding. Height is fine I just have to remember that I can't flat foot with both feet. Tip toes it is..
    Honestly the differences between the two are minimal other than the tank and the suspension. Don't factor in the factory light bar or skid plate as it is rather pathetic in my opinion. In will help at a low speed drop and that is about it. If you don't need/really want the extra fuel that the ATAS offers go for a standard and upgrade the suspension with the money you save.

Don't get me wrong, I personally really like the ATAS and would probably get it again if I had it to do over. They are both fantastic bikes and you really can't choose a wrong answer.
    Shawn595 and nakman like this.
  4. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    I vaguely recall that when I was considering this muffler for the AT, I did a rough and very unscientific comparison of engine displacement multiplied by max stock design rpm. The 750 GSXR was flowing a bit more volume at redline than the AT, is what I remember, so I thought it would be OK. Especially since I'm not that often at redline with the AT because it pulls so very well in the low and mid range.

I don't like loud bikes but a nice tone is always welcome. It is very similar in sound to the stock AT - i.e. sounds good - but I put it on because I much prefer the looks, saved a little weight, and now have a perfect stock muffler should I ever decide to sell the bike...not that it is likely.

As far as cats go, for bikes ridden on the street I don't see the point of taking them out. It cleans the air we (and our kids) need to survive, and in reality are not nearly as restrictive as some like to think. Is there an outright performance penalty? Sure, but ultra tiny in real world riding. My AT goes as fast as I need it to and has lots to spare 99.9% of the time. YMMV.
    EmmEff, windowto, Muddler and 2 others like this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am with you on the noise and power.90 or so horses offhighway is crazy power.No issue breaking rear wheel loose at 50 on dirt with tc off(2up).Stock muffler fine on mine as I can only see the end as I always have my soft bags on.I get a kick out of how much low end grunt this bike has.Thing is a blast on fire roads and old logging roads.I put it in the lowest tc mode but not completely off and it is like cheating sliding gravel corners.
    Iowa_ADV likes this.
  6. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was making that decision last year too, ended up with a non-AS mainly because it's lighter, and that's a bonus in nearly any riding situation. The non-AS was also less expensive.

While I like the idea of carrying more fuel for better range (the 403 mile range on the '07 R1200GSA spoiled me), it's very rare that I actually need it, and when I do there are alternatives ... rotopax, camel tank, used oil jugs, etc. ... I'd rather enjoy the lower weight every day.

AS suspension is taller which is better for gnarly offroad but that also increases the seat height. Nothing saps confidence offroad like not getting good footing when you need it. Also another feature I'd hardly ever enjoy, so not a consideration.

Skidplate and crash bars mediocre on the AS so that was never a consideration for me. AS has fuel tank paint and frame welding issues, non-AS has fork anodizing problems, I'd call it a wash.
    97707, windowto and nakman like this.
  7. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2017 DCT is in need of a new battery. Anyone want to recommend an economical replacement?
  8. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good morning AT Illuminati!

I'm installing a Rekluse RadiusX auto clutch on my 2017, and have a question. In my battle to avoid yet another hand surgery for carpal tunnel, I previously installed a Magura Hymec clutch cable (with nominal benefits TBH). Now that I already have the Rekluse, and am reading the instructions, I am not sure the two systems are compatible. There is a huge emphasis on adjustment of the clutch cable tension, but the hymec does not really allow for this except very coarsely with spacers. Can anyone speak to this? Surely the RadiusX kit works on other hydro clutch bikes. I have a call in to Rekluse but have not heard back.

Also any advice anyone can give on install would be great. I am like a monkey on meth in the garage.

Jeremy
  9. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sexyyyyyyy !! The AT is one beautiful bike !!
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it be easier to trade for a DCT ?
  11. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uhh. No. I could get maybe $5k for my AT on trade, so at $11k for a DCT, it would literally be an order of magnitude more expensive. Ironically that's about how much surgery costs, so either way, the Rekluse is a bargain!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  12. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Installed the Camel ADV gps brace today. I never had an issue with my stock one... but figured why risk it. Easy install. Took about 25min

20200529_162826.jpg

And since my front forks are leaking. Ordered up some SKF green seals, new fork springs and a rear spring from K-Tech.

Had originally tried to go with Cognent but they are on backorder for ateast two weeks.
    DKCJ likes this.
  13. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    ProCycle has Cogent springs in stock. I saw 'em on the shelf yesterday.
  14. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    I had an order in with ProCycle Was told they are out of stock.... unfortunately too late now
    procycle likes this.
  15. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    If it is the same as the '16 then I'd throw in a Yuasa YTZ14S. I put one in when I installed my PC8 since my battery was almost 4 years old. Cheap insurance to not have to touch that battery compartment for another few years..
    Shawn595 and superfunkomatic like this.
  16. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    SKF seals are KITB-45S.
    I replaced my OEM ones (leaking like a sieve) at around 20,000 and have 30,000 km on the SKF with nary a drop of fork oil leaking.

DKCJ and Junglejeff1 like this.
  17. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200531_165918055_HDR.jpg IMG_20200531_163003006_HDR.jpg IMG_20200531_192742884.jpg

Picked up my 19 yesterday in Oklahoma, road it home to Kansas and had a nice little outing today. Loving this bike!
    Motorwerx, Pcfly, blrfjr and 11 others like this.
  18. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    finally able to afford it....dakar bash plate...gets rid of the bars that make the bike look like its in a cage ., but happy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shawn595, Motorwerx, Ed and 6 others like this.
  19. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that looks great.
    Moyston likes this.
  20. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been really happy with mine so far. Really solid piece of kit. I added Outback Motortek mids and uppers for complete protection.