The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might get lucky and find a leftover, here in KC they have a new 17 for under 10k.....just under, but under. It is the same dealer that I got mine from last Nov. It OTD was under 10k, I ain't payin you no stupid fees.
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I put the bars on mine is the plastics are just so stupid expensive, the looks are what they are.
    CRracer712 and Cuchulainn like this.
  3. Dustymetal

Dustymetal n00b

Oddometer:
    So, a few weeks ago I got an AT 2016. I did also get a "try a few weeks and trade for something else if you don't like it" deal from the seller. And I'm in the last few days of that period and need to make a decision. There are a few things I'm not all that happy with, main thing being the ergonomics. It feels too cramped in some way and I'm not sure where that comes from but i think it's the handlebars being too close and the pegs too high. I'm 6 foot with 34 inseam so i'm thinking about the higher saddle which would help the distance from the peg thing. But the handlebar issue is not going away...I rotated it upwards so it's "in line" with the forks which moves them away ever so slightly but also gives me a riding a chopper feeling. Now I'm wondering if the handlebar clamps can be reversed and if that would help in any way....from all the reading I've done here it seems getting different handlebars that work on the AT is near impossible. I would have tried to reverse the holders/clamps but seems like quite the job and I don't want to risk damaging it cause it might go back to the dealer. Choices...urgh.
  4. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    They stock seat is adjustable in height. Make sure it is in the "high" position.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, with it in the high position and a 32” inseam / big A* Toucans, I can’t flatfoot the bike comfortably. With a higher seat in the high position, I can’t see how you wouldn’t be as decent ergonomics as you can get on a bike like this!
  6. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess each bike "feels" different to each rider. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam and find the riding position on my 2017 AT to be just about perfect with the seat adjusted to the "high" position. I did feel the handlebars were a bit low, so added a set of 1" risers and am very happy with the results.
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm being a bit lazy here. Just took delivery of a new 2019 AT AS DCT. I have read a bit about the bike but have tons to learn. If someone could PM me start a conversation, be much appreciated.

Some things I'm interested in: Cruise control, like to get it, I have a set of hard bags from Happy Trails but would have to build my own racks from a set off a different bike, Want a bigger back rack so if I have to I will make one out of aluminum plate, What options are good these days hard bags vs. soft luggage? I'm getting the impression soft luggage is in fashion these days, I haven't had tube type tires on a road bike for a long time, need to learn what is the good way to go there? I usually run TKC80s suppose I'll burn off the stock rubber first. I'm thinking I don't need the back half of the seat, what do people do with that? That is my initical questions I guess. I'm under the impression it is expensive to lace tubeless rims to my hubs.

I have had a bunch of different ADV type bikes over the years. I was torn up about the 2020. Would have cost me $5000 more and there some things I didn't like about the 2020, too fancy electronics was a big one. I don't expect to sell this bike for a bunch of years so not concerned about resale value at this point.

Lots to learn but WTF, over!!!
  8. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    $25 worth of silicone and Gorilla tape fixes the tubeless issue.
  9. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    OK, I have had a bit of a chance to look over my options here. I see that TKC80 sells tube type and tubeless type tires so that is something that I didn't know. I guess I'm cheap so I'm not going to spend a ton of $$ converting this 2019 into a 2020, like tubeless rims, electronic cruise control etc. For now at least. I have a throttle lock that slips over the handgrip and holds against the brake lever, used this for years on other bikes, works pretty good. I am going to rebuild my Happy Trails panniers (brackets) to work on this new bike. The brackets they sell now would not work for my panniers as I have holes drilled in them already. I am going to make a piece of plate aluminum to fit over the back rack, to hold my tent dry bag etc. I will likely mold a new windshield out of lexan (?) to give me a bit more wind protection. I have a stove/oven I use for this kind of thing. I bought a couple of pieces of soft luggage (dry bags) that was surplus at one of these discount stores, I think I will get these modified to fit over my rack/brackets and than will have soft and hard panniers.

I am in Canada EH! So our dollar is for shyte, major expense to go shopping in US for us, not to mention border is closed as well. Thanks all. Happy biking.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use 2" rox risers with rc high bar (lower than stock bars a little bit).Put the bar anyway I want.They do make drop pegs also.I have a 36" inseam.There is also a real high adventure bar but never tried it as I like my straighter bend bar.
  11. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @JimmieA Here are ATAS specific items to address.
    1. Pull the fuel tank and fuel pump off. Rinse the tank with vinegar and add a Gugletech sock to the pump. While the tank is off, lengthen the crankcase breather lines so you can drain them.
    2. Add some seal saver socks to the forks because the stock fork wipers suck. This will keep you from getting leaky fork seals.
    3. Convert the rear wheel to tubeless with tape and silicone.
    4. Set your sag and suspension settings.
    From there on it's personal preference issues.
    5. If you are a wuss like me; pull the throttle apart and ease off the return spring so you have an easier throttle pull.
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shawn595 likes this.
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have added some extra lights to my scooter, and now am looking for a bit of a change. It was no big deal with all the "unessential workers" off work, but this month I am running into quite a few cars on the way to work now, that is at 430am, so dark. I had two switches one for the "factory" bright light, and then another for the "center of the sun" as the wife calls it.

I am thinking of wiring them in together so I just use the OEM switch to hit all the lights when on bright and off so I just have the normal light on.

Question is where did you guys wire the extra lights into?

Pick of the scooter

upload_2020-6-3_6-50-5.png
    1litre likes this.
  14. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a factory light bar for a '17 (assume it fits 16s too) regular AT. I'm in SW Virginia, and would love to sell this to someone who could use it.
  15. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. At this point still trying to figure out all the various options on the display, traction control etc. etc...
  16. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I use a Skene dimmer for my lights. 20% brightness when the low beam is on, 100% with the high beam. No extra switches. The dimmer is programmable for different brightness levels when on low beam.
    97707 likes this.
  17. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I second the Skene dimmer. It is set and forget and can be configured exactly how you like it. I have mine set up with two switches. First gives option of off, on with key, direct to battery, the second is 3 positions of programmable brightness for when the lowbeam of the headlight on.(currently set to 10%, 40%, 100%)

Well worth the money as you can use your aux lights as dimmed running lights to provide visibility without blinding other drivers.
  18. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with the MC Cruise for mine, its a very nice kit. The install on the DCT is not bad, but its a good couple of hours. Im a professional Mechanic so not really scared to jump into it. The fairings and the tank have to come off. Seat and some of the air box parts. I replaced my back seat with the Seat Concepts and got the front and rear seat option.
    AZT2 and Pcfly like this.
  19. nakman

nakman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You could accomplish this with a simple offroad lighting harness with 2 leads. https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-NI-W...&keywords=light+harness&qid=1591243025&sr=8-6 wire both sets of lights up, hook it up to your battery, then essentially bypass the switch that comes with it and tap into a + from your high beams into the relay, which will then complete the circuit and all the lights will come on.
  20. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    ill go down the path of the outback or sw mids, that will do..after that..pastrana bar due to my height as the stock ones are made of cheese