1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    It’s what they put truck windshields in with
  2. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    As a point of interest related to recent queries about side luggage buffers: Honda's OEM bags actually rest on the broad upper edge of the on-bike mount points; not in the troughs. Rubber bungs are set in the OEM luggage cases to take up (some of) the excess movement
    IMG_6233.jpg IMG_6232.jpg

These rubber pieces are available through Honda dealers and online sources:

08L04-MGH-640 Front
    08L07-MGH-640 Rear.
    honda-side-cases-rubbers.jpg
    Again, they sit in the cases, not in the bike's mounts. I'm not certain if ATAS mounts are the same as the earlier models.
    Wind_Rider and swimmer like this.
  3. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:

Sikaflex is a VERY good silicone.. I use it to seal spokes for tubeless conversion.....never had a leak.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  5. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe find someone with a 3D printer and ability to use a few measurements to create an insert?
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  7. NOrrTH

NOrrTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here previously owned a 1200/1250GS? If so, are you happy with how your AT rides on the road compared to it?
    smalls78 likes this.
  8. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    I don't own a 1250GS but swap out AT with my buddies 1250 when we go on rides.
    Totally different feel:
    Smoother
    Less inputs to go into the turns - neutral; really nice in the twisties
    Sit in the bike (like the ergo's feel of the AT better)
    Overall more refined package (especially if you like gadgets)
    5'11" - felt it had better wind protection
    A great sports tourer for sure. Would rather have it for the long multi day street only rides.

But, have owned three BMWs and don't care for the price of ownership/operating cost and austere dealer network.
    NOrrTH and smalls78 like this.
  9. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to sell my BMW GS1200 for a AT. So there's that. However, this statement is pretty true from I what I've experienced with the BMW. Rides great. But the AT ergos feel better to me, so that's why I'm heading that way. But I just became aware of the AT fork issue, so haven't made the leap yet. From what I've read here, the fork issue can be resolved with ATAS forks, I just don't know what I'm supposed to swap out.
    gve.mcmlxxiv, motocopter and Aces 6 like this.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want an AT, get it - and worry about the forks if/when you start experiencing issues. A 2018+ should have reduced issues (they changed the coating), and a 2020+ may finally have fixed it.
    smalls78 likes this.
  11. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be more specific; I like how the AT has a sit on the bike feel with foot peg positioning a tad more forward than the BMW, almost like my dirt bike. Also getting my feet planted feels easier. All personal opinion.
    Aces 6 and NOrrTH like this.
  12. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    I had a 1200GS....

I now have 3 AT’s

Next question..........
    neanderthal, Aces 6 and NOrrTH like this.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The Super Tenere also has that riding position. That's why I chose it over a 1200GS when I sold my AT.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As somebody who came from a S10 to the AT, the seating position and feel of the two is nothing alike - unless you meant to say the S10 is more like the Beemer.
  15. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016. No issues with forks yet.
    But, as another inmate has stated, 2020 should be sorted....besides newer models are lighter and the TFT looks nice. The 2016 AT display is crap in bright light. Rather disappointing but had the KLR waaaaayyyy tooooo long so pulled the trigger on a first year bike.
    smalls78 likes this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    No, I'm saying the S10's footpeg position is similar to the AT's. Lower and more forward compared to the Beemer. The beemer's pegs are further back and higher, more of a sport tourer feeling.

With helibar risers, the overall riding position of the Yamaha is also similar to the AT (which I owned for two years).

06wi0052IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
    06wi1319IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
    06wi1004IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
    Aces 6 likes this.
  17. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '17 AT is close to 21k miles now. At about 10k, I drained the fork oil and replaced. Rotated the upper tubes, but the forks work fine. I really like them off pavement as they absorbed the Rockies just fine for me.

I also like lots of static sag. Just need to crank up some more rebound in the back.

Aces 6 and smalls78 like this.
  18. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    20k miles on my '17. Stiction is getting pretty bad on the forks. Im in the process of trying to decide what to do. I've read and followed the threads here closely, already talked to cogent and from my description, they think its probably pretty badly worn. ( won't know of course till opened up and I'm trying to avoid paying for anything twice. I was planning for just a service and new spring)

I'm frankly leaning towards the ohlins. Ask me tomorrow and I may have a different answer, but right now, considering I plan on keeping the bike till parts are no longer available, I should be able to come close to breaking even if I'm replacing tubes every so often.

I'm pissed I have to deal with this, but at least from yall, I knew it was coming.
    motocopter and Aces 6 like this.
  19. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    First Canadian AT 23K and still have the same forks, same seals, no problems! this is a beautiful machine!
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Yeah, im quite happy with mine. Which is why I plan on keeping it. Im not really interested in bitching about it or complaining, just solutions. I ask alot from it and admittedly push it beyond its intended purpose. Its not a garage queen nor does it only get ridden on smooth tarmac.

Curiously, it was my lovely wife who suggested I get the ohlins if that's what I really want. I was/am leaning towards just rotating them with a service and springs and address it again down the road. The pros I talked to don't recommend the AS conversion. Decisions decisions.
    Aces 6 and windowto like this.