1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the pleasure of riding an '07 R1200GSA extensively and a '15 R1200GSA a couple times. Then I bought the AT.

The '07 and '15 are very different so it depends on which R1200GS you're considering. The '07 is more like the AT than the '15 is.

I sit more "in" the '07, like I do on the AT.
    I sit more "on" the '15.
    Both are taller than the AT.
    The '07 has lots of low end torque with a much heavier flywheel effect. Easily maintains traction in loose terrain. Runs out of steam at about 100mph. Just like the AT.
    The '15 has tons of power on top. Very responsive motor. But no flywheel effect, there are times when it's really hard to gain traction, tire just spins, even when in 'gravel' mode. The throttle is just too sensitive to very tiny on/off transitions and rocks the bike back and forth. Not as bad as my FJR, but without cruise control this would get very annoying.
    Both BMW's ride heavier than the AT, because they are.
    Both BMWs have 19" front tires and I suppose, like the S10, that's one reason they can rail paved corners better than the AT with it's 21". But there's a reason the AT has a 21" front and it shows when off road (even off pavement).
    '07 and AT have narrower rear tires (180 vs 160/150 ??) so they turn more nimble than the '15.
    The AT is unphased by squared off rear tires.
    BMW's are tubeless. AT can be made tubeless.
    AT has fork issues, but the '15 does too (separating from triple clamp). At least BMW addresses this.
    BMW front fork shock replacement costs about as much as the AS conversion on the AT, so that's a wash.
    The '15 fork seals (at least on my buddie's) appear to be made of the same cheese they used on the AT so that's a wash too.
    Easier valve adjust on the BMW's but hexheads have a limited lifespan (about 100k) before the valves recess and can't be adjusted, then need to spend > $3000 on new heads or build up the seats again.
    '07 BMW needs extensive clutch maintenance every 50k or so. Not sure about the '15.

EDIT TO ADD: 400+ mile range on the BMW's was AWESOME! Especially in BC/AK/YT.

If I were to ride mostly street with an eye towards sport-touring, I'd pick the wasserboxer if I could figure out how to fix the throttle. No, actually, I'd look for an FJ09/MT09 at half the price and twice the reliability and sport, just throw some half-adventurey tires on it. Low weight nearly always trumps more power.

But throw in hundreds of miles of off-pavement and the AT is better than either the '07, and FAR better than the '15 ... especially if the dirt/gravel is wet.
  2. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met a super-nice couple from NE Ohio on a AT, just finishing the NEBDR 2-up who said something similar. That bike handled both of them on some tough terrain really well.
  3. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone point me to the fasteners that are supposed to be in these holes on the OEM rack? The rear fender needs to attach here up adjacent to the rear brake light and I’ve had this rack off the bike for so long I can’t remember. Parts fiche isn’t clear as it only shows the top view of the rear rack. FC905747-8CAD-4006-990C-707B267C7428.jpeg
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this helps but shot a pic for you. 20200711_185915.jpg
  5. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that Allen and have it, but what does it thread into? There’s gotta be a captured female thread on the rack itself?
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nor sure as I never had rack off.Will pop seat tomorrow and snap some pics
  7. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a steel (silver colour) "L" shape bracket that has the threaded hole you are looking for. It's connected to the subframe and/or rear tail light.... I think.
    roktbox likes this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    8mm collar nuts.Parts 13 Screenshot_2020-07-11-22-28-46.png
  9. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCTFAN likes this.
  10. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 4000 mile trip out to Moab and back (to Central Ohio). I spent a week in southwest Colorado riding through the mountains including Grand Mesa, Silverton, Gateway, Durango, and I even popped over to Moab Utah for a day to ride Potash Road and the Shafer Switchbacks.

The bike was outstanding as always, making up for my lack of skills. I believe it was the only thing keeping me from getting hurt on Potash road as that place was a serious jeep trail with rock ledges, deep gravel and sand sections, and sheer cliffs with tight steep uphill switchbacks. On top of my general off road ignorance I also had panniers and camping gear loaded on the bike...and the icing on the cake was I am still running the shinkos which are a 70/30 tire...so good for gravel roads at best. The DCT was amazing to have for all the low speed steep ascents on the Shafer switchbacks...it just tractored around the low speed corners and up the side of that damned canyon, never stalled once. In the last picture below you can see the road I had traveled along the bottom of the canyon just before I headed up the switchbacks for a sense of scale.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/591-shafer-trail-road-usa.html

Besides my self flagellation in in Moab the rest of the trip was amazing and I highly recommend making Grand Junction your base of operations and do day trips to the surrounding areas. The scenery and riding was epic. The temperatures in the valley were in the 90's (F) and the top of grand junction was 42F in the mornings. So layer accordingly as the altitude changes so will your layers.

20200701_155745.jpg
    20200630_131551.jpg
    20200701_163629.jpg
    97707, upsman13, Loff and 15 others like this.
  11. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    and #2 rubber grommets; to cancel vibrations and fit the brackets properly.
    FYI in 2018+ models, they got rid of this design (wasn't doing any good, I guess)
    roktbox likes this.
  12. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    How hot was it in Moab?
  13. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was 90 to 95 degrees. I was pretty warm with my riding gear and made sure to drink lots of water. The fans on the bike only turned on once though.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  14. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s probable a square fastener that slips into this gap to accept the stepped shoulder Allen bolt from the backside of the fender. I don’t believe #5 is the ticket. 5A242520-3B74-4088-8A4B-C52DA85FA232.jpeg
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I was strongly considering a GS in 2014. Rumors of an Africa Twin made me delay buying one. Confirmation, and the resulting research switched my focus completely to the AT.

I've since bought 3 too. But only one at a time. :ricky
    DCTFAN likes this.
  16. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    this was posted ages ago in the "broken rack-thread" but shows parts #5 in proper location and how it is a rather useless design.
    Newer models have replaced these with a single, heavy duty bracket.
    brken rack.JPG
    windowto likes this.
  17. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is. It's an a metal L-type bracket with a big hole on one side that catches the aft two holes of the rear carrier that are grommeted and a threaded tab that goes in to the recess in the carrier where the screws screw in. I just put my rear carrier back on about a month ago because my ATO carrier has cracked and I need to have it repaired.

I just relooked at the diagram junglejeff1posted their asymmetrical so it's five and whatever number is off the screen would be the part you would need.
  18. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Junglejeff1, @Nikoutdoor, @DCTFAN .... thanks. Yes. you guys are correct. I sure don't remember removing those when I put the ATO rack on, but I''ll go dig through the box of OEM bits and see if I kept them. I succesfuly conducted a handlectomy this weekend and found my results to be worthy of a Civil War battlefield surgeon under duress. It cleaned up well with a rasp and then a couple coats of black PlastiDip. I'll keep this one ready to go in case of further damage to the ATO rack, which took a severe beating (again) on recent BDR trip and is back with my buddy getting more welds repaired and added. Perhaps I should ride less aggressively. :lol3 The SW-Motech Evo pannier racks have a little "slop" in them where the tabs drop into the larger, square ATO brackets and the combination of up/down plus side to side movement of the bags and racks busted those welds, too. Then the right side rack busted the plastic side cover. Discovered while loading gear before heading out of the campground near Wenatchee, so hustled to Walmart for some ratchet straps, which did the trick. Those two racks were locked rigidly together for the duration of the ride. Just one more thing to be tinkering with ........
    Aces 6, Junglejeff1 and Nikoutdoor like this.
  19. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    Yeah ive found that i have to take tiny little bites with the front tire, can be a PITA but ive been successful each time so far.
  20. mk4dubbin

mk4dubbin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I decided to use the negative trip meter today, which caused my avg consistant mpg to just show "- - -". Anyone know how to get it back?