The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Jon E Blaze

Jon E Blaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's an easy option to smooth out the lean fueling in this bike? I just added an akropovic slip on to my '17, and the popping and crackling on decel is a little annoying.
    Thanks
    I've searched around without much luck. I was hoping to find something that could plug into the diagnostic port located under the seat
  2. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I believe procycle had a couple of options listed on his website.
    procycle likes this.
  3. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
  4. Jon E Blaze

Jon E Blaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which do u guys suggest?
    I have zero experience with this sort of thing
  5. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it on the AT, but to remove the decel / overrun pops I've started with removing the air injection pump and blocking the reed valves on the valve covers.
    Jon E Blaze likes this.
  6. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    You could try two things.

a) booster plug (might cure it might not)
    b) something like an EJK that adds fuel on top of the stock map (this would be the option that has the most adjustment range)

Lack of tuning is what made me evenutally bite the bullet and go with the full termignoni system as they sell a bluetooth device that plugs into the diagnostic port to upload maps. It's not the cheapest way to do it by any means. But, it's the easiest "plug and play" w/ no thought required solution.
    Jon E Blaze likes this.
  7. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    When you say easy option !!! You need to change the fuel load going in in all cases that means some work.
    ProCycle has two options there, you can also get your ECU remapped or try a booster plug. The Power Commander V does work and give a good mid-range performance boost if you also change the headers. The popping is mainly from the secondary air injection system that NorskieRider talkes about above, thats also used to get the CAT up to temp. All of these options require quite a bit of bike disassembly, if you are ok with that its not hard just time consuming, hence my questioning the "easy option".
    The simple option is the booster plug but even that requires some work to get installed its not just a lift the seat and plug into a spare port.

JulienAT and Jon E Blaze like this.
  8. Sundude901

Sundude901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First mods. Not much but threw on the Camel ADV stand and a SW Motech Center stand and an SW Motech Tank bag(City Tank Bag, not shown). Very pleased with the Camel side stand. Center seems to be nice and no complains, just nothing to compare it too. Never had one before! It's been so damn hot here and with work still there, haven't rode as much as I would have liked lately. Planning an early morning ride before heading into work tomorrow.

Still need to put on a Camel windscreen brace and a DrySpec H35 topcase....just got too hot sitting in the garage. 20200715_123052.jpg 20200715_135653.jpg
    gve.mcmlxxiv, Aces 6 and Mudslingr like this.
  9. Jon E Blaze

Jon E Blaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well so much for that lol
    I didnt realize it would be such a PITA
    Thanks anyways guys
    I guess I'll have to deal with it
  10. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulling the tank is not all that difficult. I have had mine apart quite a few times. The MC Criuse is a pretty in depth install. Had to take a lot apart on that one. Pick a day, go slow and you will learn a lot more about the bike.

Attached Files:

windowto likes this.
  11. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I installed the Booster Plug last week and followed the mentioned above video which is actually really great and helpful and I didn't find it overwhelming. It was my first time removing all the fearing too and also installed Power Outlet, Heated grips, SAE connector for tire inflator and Eastern Beaver PC3 while at it and glad I did it all at once lol.

If you take your time and follow the video you shouldn't have any issue.

Booster Plug did smooth the throttle at lower speed, especially in 1st and 2nd gear.
  12. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this is allowed in this thread, if not, please advice. Update: SOLD

I'm selling a Denali S4 Dual Intensity LED Light Kit.

This kit is specially build for Honda Africa Twin. (2016 onwards, (not sure about newest 2020 model)) This is a complete brand new, never installed kit I recently bought from Rugged Roads UK in April 2020. Rugged Roads built a Plug & Play harness which makes the whole installation process really streamlined. It comes with the factory Honda Fog Light Switch. It also has the Denali Datadim Dual Intensity Controller which works with Low/High beam.

Here's a link from Rugged Roads with more information about it:
    https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00...7e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/RRDNQT.S4.10000

Kit also comes with added Denali Engine Guard / Frame Lights mount which was an extra 100$ Canadian. I bought this kit for a total of 630$ Canadian a couple months ago. Asking 500$ Canadian (370$ US?) + Shipping.

IMG_20200717_184338.jpg
  13. Sundude901

Sundude901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. Shooting you a DM shortly.

EDIT : won't let me message for some reason. DM me and can discuss out the thread?
  14. Jon E Blaze

Jon E Blaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
    did it cure the decel popping?

And while I'm at it can anyone tell me the max height bar risers I can use with stock cables on a '17 model?
  15. wingnutx

wingnutx n00b

Oddometer:
    I sold my Sportster in 1996, and today picked up my first motorcycle in 24 years, a 2016 Africa Twin.

First trip is in about six weeks, Phoenix AZ up to Zion & Bryce Canyon in Utah with a war buddy.

This site helped me do a lot of research before pulling the trigger, and I hope to learn a lot more, so thanks in advance.
    Rethy, 1litre, mentolio and 5 others like this.
  16. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    I am in AZ and have an AT. Ride alot if you want to get out.
    wingnutx likes this.
  17. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Stock Exhaust and actually never noticed the "decel popping". Well, not a issue for me as far as I can tell.

What was annoying to me is how twitchy the throttle was at lower speed and I feel it's smoother now. Once installed I also noticed a raise in fuel consumption
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brake line was the limiting factor for bar rise in my '17. Couldn't go very far at all before that like was stretched.
    I've never noticed any decent popping either. At least not in my Twin. My DR does plenty of it, but it's carbureted.

I agree the throttle is a bit touchy going slow in first, but it wouldn't be worth a lot of fuel economy to me. I like the range I get from being about to achieve ~50mpg. I only get that when I'm out cruising back roads and dirt roads being it under 60, but that's when I get the range most anyway.
  19. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I had the messaging option turned off for some reason. Should be good now
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2417863 View attachment 2417864 View attachment 2417865
    That's probably caused by the secondary air injection system.
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/h...a-ac-africa-twin/air-injection-solenoid-valve

I used a booster plug on my 16 and what it eliminated was the pinging when the engine was short shifted in the lower gears. Pulled a little harder according to the butt dyno as well. I'd recommend it.
    Jon E Blaze likes this.