1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Sundude901

Sundude901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone used one of the Givi rack/support kits with a Non-Givi top rack? I'm looking at the SR1162, but can't really tell if it would work to support the rack. Mounting an SW Motech adventure rack with a DrySpec H35 top case.
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    It works with any carrier on 2016/17 models but 2018 forward, they won't do much good
    due to the redesign of the rear rack.
  3. Sundude901

Sundude901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha! I appreciate it!
  4. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    Had my ATAS in the dealers for its 2 year service, whilst there I enquired about warranty cover for corrosion on on the wheel spoke nipples, as mine have tarnished though the stainless spokes are ok. What I was told was Honda wont cover it . Moderately disappointed in that tightening of Hondas coverage given the replacement of wheels on the earlier (non-stainless spoke) bikes. Anyone else had same /similar here in Blighty?
  5. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Very good! I have the same year bike but you have way more miles. I’m coming up on 16k miles Did you do your own valve service In the engine? How was it?
  6. Mudslingr

Mudslingr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2016 standard. I just hit 20k trouble free miles. Changed chain, sprockets,rear brake pads, brake fluid and wheel bearings. Rear bearing looked worn but not terrible fronts looked fine but changed them anyway for piece of mind.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    20k miles isn't much for wheel bearings so for them to not look good is a bit concerning but I've have read about other AT owners experiencing the same, or worse. https://advrider.com/f/threads/help-needed-near-bozeman-mt.1458921/

I wonder if it's just a cheap bearing spec causing these issues or something in the tolerances of the bike design contributing to short bearing life.
  8. Mudslingr

Mudslingr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bearings weren't bad. I could have gone another 20k on the fronts probably. The rear ones were dirty so maybe another 10k on those.
  9. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    I didnt tear down the bike for valves myself, had some help with it. The intake valves didnt require any adjustment the first time, only the exhaust valve was set a little bit too tight from the factory. Second valve job I took to a shop since I was out of town st the time, again no adjustment on the intake valve but the exhaust on one side was a bit loose.

Im not going to open it up for the next interval, unless i hear some clatter.
  10. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A tight valve can damage a motor. They don't clatter.
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  11. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    As @Mikeeep said. The danger comes from running with a valve too tight. They typically tend to tighten up with wear as the valve slowly embeds itself into the valve seat. It won't give any audible warning before things go expensively wrong. If anything it will get quieter.
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  12. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for anyone planning the Utah BDR anytime soon.

Took the 450L out for what should have been a pretty easy ride on the mid section of the UT BDR which is normally big bike easy cruisin (most of the BDR's are)

This section is below a big burn scar from last year and since then has been subject to numerous flash floods and landslides.

Be prepared to pick your bike big bike up alot or have broken parts unless you are an expert rider.

The track simply does not exist anymore. Gone. Washed away.

Screenshot_20200803-140645_GPX Viewer PRO.jpg

20200802_143359.jpg 20200802_141021.jpg 20200803_091054.jpg
    97707, NSFW, redneckmech and 4 others like this.
  13. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good lead on an inexpensive Africa twin? I just got back from another section of the IDBDR and one of the guys I rode it with is looking to replace his 650 Strom with something more dirtworthy. He doesn't care if it is a dealer holdover or has miles on it.
    If you have a lead on one go ahead and send me a PM and I can pass it on so as to prevent cluttering up the thread. IMG_20200801_182816.jpg IMG_20200801_220046.jpg
    NSFW and Moshaholic2 like this.
  14. RossTheRed

RossTheRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Tusk side stand foot last fall. Worked fine until a couple months ago when it just flipped off when I kicked the stand up.

I tried putting it back on, but it didn't want to stay, so I gave it a couple whacks with a hammer. That did it until about a week ago when I kicked up the stand and the foot didn't go with it.

Anybody have any experience with other brands? I ride every day, but I think something like this should last longer than ten months.

Additional question:

Is anyone producing any good shorty levers yet? Last time I looked there wasn't much.

IMG_1707A.jpg
    666, Bors, NSFW and 1 other person like this.
  15. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camel ADV for a side stand.
    Zeta for levers. CRFs only has them.
  16. Noillek

Noillek Nomada Portugues

Oddometer:
    Decided to make my 2017 AT a bit more racing, rally type seat, DPM license plate holder and cut the hand grips for the passenger. Now just need to get it dirty. 36D13D4E-B17B-4A7B-A95C-FCF534DD5C58.jpeg
    PhaseShifter, N0madic and Aces 6 like this.
  17. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Any more photos of the Race Seats seat and how is the overall quality? Being one piece, how does it attach in the back? Thanks!
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the OR coast
    IMG_6358.JPG

same here, got 20k on mine but i will inspect them when i get home. if still good, i will wait for a big trip before replacing them. long list of new parts to buy. battery, rear brake pad, chains, c. s. , rear sprocket, and a bunch of other wear or broken items.

have to do my first valve adjustment, fluid replacement. head bearing and swing-arm lube job, etc. my AT DCT never let me down.

hello from Powers OR
    IMG_6552.JPG
  19. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Did you take the road south of Powers to (or from) Agness?
  20. Noillek

Noillek Nomada Portugues

Oddometer:
    4329CCAF-1B48-49D3-A150-547DD07D7973.jpeg
    will drop a picture as soon as I get home, the seat is pretty comfortable if you like hard... I do find it comfortable, wider in the back and narrower in the front so standing is never compromised and to get a bit wider I need to slide backwards a bit... arms go to stretched.

quality is good, but needed to get a spacer on the seat lock so it keeps it snug otherwise moved to much for my taste, on the back has 2 metal teeth that slide into a part of the rear fairing to keep in place.

advice I got the +2cm above stock if I would order again I would do +4cm than stock, gets to be more parallel to the ground while now does a V shape and you always slide against the gas tank even with suspension adjusted to low all the way.
    Pcfly and N0madic like this.