1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 20 years ago I went from Gold Beach to Agness to Grants Pass on my VFR. IIRC the road to Agness was fun, being narrow with wide parts on the corners. Agness to Grants Pass sucked; fresh three-inch deep pea gravel and Dunmap 220's did not mix well.
    procycle likes this.
  2. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires I've had on hand for a while. After a puncture on the stock tires I did a tubeless conversion and mounted the Trailmax Mission. Just did about 150 miles on pavement and really like them so far. No pics on the bike yet...

2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 1.jpg
    2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 2.jpg
    2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 4.jpg
    CRracer712 and Flying Marmot like this.
  3. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my SW Motech skid plate installed this afternoon. It's going to provide much better protection. No holed case for me. No pictures right now. I sweat enough just getting it installed!

I also have a Twin Air filter kit standing by for when I need to replace my factory filters. Oil filters and feeler gauges also came in so I'm all set for maintenance for the foreseeable future.

Thanks @procycle!
    procycle likes this.
  4. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to hearing how they do off-pavement and how long they last your experiences on wet pavement.
    N0madic likes this.
  5. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I'm thinking about tires ... I've found it's very easy to slide the rear tire of the AT and trigger the ABS regardless of tire and surface. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I first got the bike it was shod with Shinko 7-somethings and I was surprised how easy it was to skid on pavement. If it was wet it seemed there was little to no braking traction from the rear, but turning and acceleration was OK. I chalked it up to a mediocre tire. Then I installed the AX41's which were superior in all respects (except longevity) but it still didn't take much to trigger the rear ABS.

My prior motorcycles were shod with some variants of Michelin Pilot Road tires and I never had rear traction issues on pavement, wet or dry, unless I really stomped on the brake pedal and tried to lock it up. VFR, SV650, Ninja 1000, FJR1300, VStrom, etc ... both heavy and light machines.

I'm trying to sort out if there's something about more aggressive ADV Tires (the Shinko or AX41 in particular), the taller ADV-style motorcycle, or something about the AT that makes it easy to lose rear traction despite sticking really well in corners.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you change boots?

I only get rear ABS engagement on hard braking on pavement - usually due to “oh shit that’s my turn” on backroads routes :p.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i was wondering about that road to Grant Pass. i remember the story of the Kim family that got stranded in the snow and the father did the ultimate sacrifice to save his wife and 2 kids.

last week, rode grom Powers to Gold Beach via FR33 and Agness Road. the gravel road was in great shape. RV friendly. i have Heidenaus K60.

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6517.PNG

camped along the Rogue River
    IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

just north of Gold Beach
    IMG_6990.JPG
    97707, misterk, Flying Marmot and 5 others like this.
  8. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have much experience with different tires, but I do find the rear ABS really easy to trigger. I chalk it up to excessive fork dive during braking. Hoping to fix that at some point with a suspension rework.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Analysis paralysis alert.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tank bag. The finalists are mosko moto nomad, hood, and giant loop fandango.

What are moskos shipping times like? How stable is the nomad in rough conditions...does it loosen or flop side to side? Is the hood as ugly as I think it is? Think fez. The fandango looks like my old failing altrider hemisphere tank bag...which I've really liked. Mosko makes me lean towards them because of the map pocket size......but looking online, the nomad does not appear to sit naturally on the tank. How tightly can you get it to sit? Will it bend over the hump?

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.
  10. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    No problem with the Nomad sitting on the tank and it is well organized
    Amphib likes this.
  11. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had always used a Wolfman Expedition tank bag and filled it with all sorts of stuff. But the way I'm using the AT (fire roads, gravel, etc) I stand a lot, and a big tank bag gets in the way. I'm short, so a bag might not be in the way of a tall guy. I have a Giant Loop Buckin' Roll now that only fits a phone, wallet, and a drink. I can use it on my EXC as well, so it kills two birds with one stone.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm trying to be realistic what ill really be using the bag for. I think I'll have a lot of dead space in the nomad, its not waterproof, it may be fiddly.

The advantage im seeing however is im a map guy and like the larger molle map case.

The zippers are failing on my hemisphere bag and the map pocket sucks sucks sucks, but I like the shape, size, the way it mounts, water has never gotten into the bag.

Map case size is a strike against the fandango, but at least it externally front loads.

I wish the map thing wasn't hanging me up because I could get by with a smaller bag like you suggest. My current bag is mostly a junk drawer and I only use a few liters regularly...wallet, smokes, sunglasses, flashlight, advil, epipen, little notebook, and a pen.

I did think that maybe the nomad would get my toiletries out of the pannier as well as a few maps.

Maybe the hood is the compromise...just stuck on the ugly.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came with a GL Diablo pro. I’d never gotten the idea of tank bags before - but this one is small enough it stays out of the way, but big enough to fit everything I need for a day on the bike. Waterproof inner pocket, although I’m not a map guy so no idea how big of a map window you need.

Anything larger then the Diablo and I feel it would start to get intrusive.
    blrfjr and Amphib like this.
  14. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    The nomad does come with a waterproof cover. I must say im not a big fan of tank bags in general getting gas is a pita and off road they get in the way, but they are very handy.
    Amphib likes this.
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
    This purchase is with an upcoming multi week trip in mind so that's really influencing my decision. I've been using a tankbag now for several years and don't think I could ever go without again. I don't like anything in my pockets while riding. The bag does get pretty packed on a trip ...snacks and anything else I don't want to fish for in the panniers or dry bag.

The nomads shower cap does look pretty easily deployed. Bladder would be handy. Tossing some food in the beavertail for a quick run to the campsite would be nice......
  16. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    Its a nice bag i mounted the quick release on the 2 screws on the tank, it makes it a bit quicker to access the gas cap.
    Amphib likes this.
  17. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I'm sick of looking, just ordered the nomad. Here's hoping I like it. Ill post it up for sale here if I don't.
    gammel, Zave and Black99S like this.
  18. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pic of how you did that?
  19. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't like any of the bigger tank bags on the AT for offroad. They all get in the way. I've been interested in a small one like the pico or the buck n roll, as long as tehy're big enough to fit a can of bear spray.
    Amphib likes this.