1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200806_164158134.jpg

Did some upgrades to my 19 AT

IMG_20200807_191947210.jpg

Pegasus lights

IMG_20200808_152040394.jpg

USB for power and charging. Also a rear view WiFi camera.

IMG_20200814_142920656.jpg

Sherpax trailer and OEM luggage.

Added the Eastern Beaver PC 8 and McCruise cruise control (this is an awesome upgrade!)
  2. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally! Ready to ride...picked it up new to me with only 485miles on the clock.

IMG_2845.JPG
  3. belmoresr

belmoresr Retiring Soon

Oddometer:
    Good for you. Got Mine this May. Just did first oil change.
    80D8529F-47E0-4AA7-97B5-BCE58440D186.jpeg 0
    Now with a Few outbak mototek mods
    0F176526-52D6-4F23-BA1C-105E66FF3C80.jpeg
    Amphib, mentolio, windowto and 4 others like this.
  4. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Nice! I really like the Outback bars and skid.
  5. belmoresr

belmoresr Retiring Soon

Oddometer:
    I like the yellow rims on your AT.

The Outback bars are great fit and finish. They took along time to install but were worth it.
    I just installed the aft luggage rack also but no pics of that yet..
    smalls78 likes this.
  6. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll hate them when it's time to change oil.

I'm considering drilling a couple access holes in mine this winter.
  7. smalls78

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the crash bars installed on my bike are OEM. Looked around last night at different crash bars and they all seem to have pros and cons. Lot of stuff out there for this bike!!
  8. belmoresr

belmoresr Retiring Soon

Oddometer:
    I did have to pull the skid plate off for the first oil change. The bars did not get in the way.
    Regardless, compared to my KLR it is a PITA.
  9. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    What tubeless conversion did you do, and did you do both front and rear?
  10. ThunderStrom

ThunderStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friends of the ATAS - A quick, likely already covered question that will spark the kind of "what's your favorite kind of oil" debate. Well, hopefully not. Picked up my '19 ATAS. My head was getting jiggled hard at speed so I bought a GIVI Airflow. It didn't do anything to calm things so I pushed it back to Amazon and bought a plastic bat-shaped forkguard (which did a great job for the money). I have a longer trip ahead and I'm thinking of another screen and looking hard at the MRA Vario Touring screen and the National Cycle Touring (23"). I can't find any feedback on either. Open for any suggestions. I'm 6/1 and 207 wearing a SHOEI ADV lid with a big beak. Thank you in advance.

Disclaimer: I hate it when someone hijacks a thread but those in the ATAS world are specific to that screen height and limited in number.
  11. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on the ATAS, but I have the same helmet, I'm 5' 11" with only 30" of inseam, so a tall body. I just added a clip in windshield extension to my stock shield. It was pretty cheap on Amazon. I have nothing on the fork tunnel and have no issues at any speed.

I had a better picture but can't find it. You can see it in profile on this pic. 20191202_091718.jpg
    NextTime and ThunderStrom like this.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I ditch my peaks. They are nice for what they are designed for, but I've never needed to go crazy with screens after removing them. To me its not worth it. Some will definitely disagree, but for how I use my bike, I want the smallest screen possible. Maybe try removing the peak and see? I could feel mine vibrating before I removed it. With the ungloved hand, I could feel where the wind was hitting (right at the top of my helmet)....thought briefly about a taller screen, but the stock one gets in the way enough, so I removed it....problem solved. ....5'10 on a regular AT, but I imagine the principle is the same.
    ThunderStrom likes this.
  13. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3M 5200 marine adhesive and 4412N sealing tape. Washed, cleaned and scuffed drop centers with green Scotchbrite, washed again, used the recommended acetone (and not alcohol) to wipe down, dried and warmed with heat gun to make sure no moisture remaining, cooled and applied 5200 adhesive in and around the spoke nipples, let cure for the full 7 days. Trimmed excess adhesive that would be too close to the edge of the sealing tape with a razor knife.

One tip... I probably cut the adhesive applicator tip a little too large where a smaller bead of sealant would have allowed for better control of the the process.

The 4412N sealing tape recommends isopropyl alcohol + water to prep which I figured would be fine on the 5200 adhesive once it had fully cured so lightly wiped down both wheel drop centers with 70% IPA. I had also had wide rolls sealing tape for the front and rear so trimmed both sides with a razor knife upon completion. I actually prefer this method to trying to line up one or both sides while applying the tape and working the sealing tape down. I left the edges a bit free until I went back to trim and seal which worked out great.

My main concern was the valve stem area, I did get the cutout slightly off on the rear valve stem hole and wasn't completely happy so just patched that area over with a strip of sealing tape and re-cut the valve stem hole, with a fresh blade. Valve stems used are NAPA NTH 90426.

The adhesive and sealing tape does reduce the drop center depth a bit. I used the the thicker 4412N sealing tape which I'd probably use again rather than the thinner 4411N sealing tape. It did make it a bit more difficult to get the tire bead past the sealing tape, the rear being most difficult with the stiff carcass Dunlop Trailmax Mission. The sealing tape took a little abuse where the bead worked over it and could see the indentations in it but it didn't budge at the sealed edges around the rim.

Tested both tires inflated to 40 psi in water bath for about 30 minutes each, checking all the spokes and especially valve stem and both passed, so happy with that. I also run a valve cap style TPMS with display monitor for pressure and temperature.

It's really a process of remaining patient and being thorough with prep and application.

2015 Honda ATAS Tubeless Conversion Rear 1.jpg

2015 Honda ATAS Tubeless Conversion Rear 2.jpg
    tjabbie, Ian.H, CRracer712 and 2 others like this.
  14. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First thing I added was the Swegotech forkshield deflector and earlier this year went with a Puig Sport windscreen that is 135mm shorter than stock ATAS windscreen. I just felt almost claustrophobic behind the stock ATAS screen and missed having more airflow. 6'1" 35" inseam, Arai Corsair-X or VXPro-4, I really like it with the additional airflow and no strange buffeting. More bugs on the visor for sure though but worth it to me. Sounds like you're looking for more coverage though.

2018 Honda ATAS Traveling Water 1.jpg

2018 Honda ATAS OE Windscreen Puig Race 1a.jpg
    Amphib and ThunderStrom like this.
  15. ThunderStrom

ThunderStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks nice NOmadic. Wow, that's significantly shorter. I agree - the forkshield made a huge difference. I'm going to stick with what I have for now and listen to @Amphib and ditch the peak for a bit. That might do the trick and save me some coin - I'll have to add Cruise to this '19 next season. Thank you guys!
    Amphib and N0madic like this.
  16. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the Swegotech fork tunnel shield as well. Second thing was removed the helmet visor. That resolved the helmet shaking, but it didn't change the noise volume, and the sunlight coming through really strained my eyes.

Feeling the air around the top of the windshield I felt the turbulence from near the upper corners of the windshield, back to the helmet peak. The guys going with the V-Stream say it removes this turbulence.
    https://www.activepowersports.com/n...MIi9uA2uqB6wIVEfDACh11IwuhEAQYASABEgLwDvD_BwE

I'm thinking about cutting down the stock Honda windshield first. The lack of air flow during the summer is a hot annoyance. Then I'll get the windshield for fall/spring riding, along with this adjuster:
    https://iconicparts.uk/shop/ols/products/honda-africa-twin-on-the-move-screen-adjuster-cfr1000

2018 ATAS 5'11, 32" inseam
    cblais19 likes this.
  17. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Road helmet. Bell qualifier dlx.
    ThunderStrom likes this.
  18. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I bought the outex kit but had reservations about doing the front wheel. It's good to see that you took your time!
  19. smalls78

Oddometer:
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    sheath likes this.