The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Just rears or fronts as well?
  2. Wood1

Wood1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rears
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    At what miles were they replaced? I apologize if I missed that in a post.

My '17 is about 23,500. I had the dealer put on new tires and tubes. I wanted them to check wheels for true (rough bdr trip) and specifically asked them to replace the bearings preventatively...they were fine. Shop told me I was pissing money away to replace them at that mileage. So I skipped it.

I'm extremely curious why some of these are failing on some bikes and not others. My bike doesn't have an easy life, from 100mph highway to rocks, mud, water crossings, loaded heavy...if any were to fail prematurely, I was certain it would be me.
  4. Wood1

Oddometer:
    I’d say I ride much the same as you. Most of my time is on gravel roads with trips in n the interstate to visit other inmates First at failed at 1,000 miles
    Amphib likes this.
  5. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I guess inconsistent bearing quality is the only logical explanation then.
  6. Wood1

Oddometer:
    Have twice the miles on a 650 versus and a Klr 650 and never had a bearing failure
  7. Amphib

Oddometer:
    No time now, going riding, but this makes me want to dig up who the manufacturers are and compare with other bikes. I've followed this issue since I got my bike so have been curious how long I'd get out of them. There's some insistent posts regarding the torque values on the axles affecting this, which I really don't buy at all. I mean maybe in some cases with a fearful muscle head really cranking it down, but I've tightened mine up several times over the years adjusting the the chain with no torque wrench. Sucks you have to deal with that. I haven't even looked at other brands. I know in dealing with certain cars and trucks, you don't want to replace with oem.
  8. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that one is the harshest on the bearings. Personally, I avoid it at all costs. But, then again, I am not a real adventure rider:lol3. More like fair weather rider...
    Amphib likes this.
  9. DanKvi87

DanKvi87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone! I'm thinking about maybe getting myself an Africa Twin. I'm curious of trying a DCT-version. So for those of you that have DCT, how much of a game changer is it? On the road I might think its not that much of a difference, but for some more serious offroad use, is it worth the extra money and added weight?
  10. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My right rear disk side bearing was a bit rough at 23,500km and noticeably worse at 29,000km when mounting new tyres. All other wheel bearings are fine. Water ingress was obvious when I pulled the seal. Bike sees a lot of rough gravel forest service roads with mud and water crossings. Always used a garden hose to wash the bike.
    Had to hit up local bearing and fluid-seal shops for same-day-fix with generic parts as Honda dealer order was a week+ away. Replaced myself and was riding the same day.
    I've checked front and rear axle seals and all are worn - Ordered Honda seals and will replace all this week as a preventative measure.

IMG_4070.jpeg IMG_4073.jpeg IMG_4075.jpeg IMG_4074.jpeg
  11. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know more about your tool used in removal and replacement. I've always done the rude 'n crude method of beating them out from the other side with a drift punch and should get a bit more sophisticated about things ...

Good right tool for the right job to ya!
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:

I've got a manual so can't help you. Reading the posts from DCT guys, they sure seem to like them. I'll hold my opinions back what I think about it. :lol3

@DCTFAN and some others I'm sure will be along and can give you an educated run down.
  13. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tool I used for removal. I work part time for a riding school and have access to the shop tools.
    https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-b...VM-1t5L0k3haNFJoeryaWMlALmXMcbVxoCCFQQAvD_BwE

For the install, I heated the hub a bit, greased the bearing and tapped it in with a Park tool that only contacted the outer race. Could have frozen the bearing and it might have just dropped in. Make sure the axle spacer is straight and that you bottom the outer race.
    Amphib likes this.
  15. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Much obliged and very nice, I think I'll have to add this to my tool inventory. I've done the heating & freezing trick before to seat lower steering head bearings on the triple clamp stem but not on hubs. Thanks again ...

Good so many tools and so little money to ya!
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i’m a BMW and KTM fan, no interest on the big Hondas, but after i test rode a DCT equipped bike, i need to have this technology.

i completed a 60 day moto-camping trip and very happy with my AT. it’s not just the technology but the freedom and convenience.

there’s more than 1 DCT Fan in this forum. haha.
  17. DanKvi87

DanKvi87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I wonder, though is: if this technology is so good, why aren't other manufacturers trying to implement it on their lineups? Is it too heavy? Is it a question of patent difficulties?
  18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Harley Davidson can’t use it because the riders can’t pull in the clutch and twist the throttle to hear their pipes...:imaposer
  19. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's only a question of time before others implement it:). I like the DCT, but I would still love to see a clutch lever to override the automation and be able to slip the clutch, when needed...
    neanderthal and NorskieRider like this.
  20. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I think there's still a bunch of us older grouchier types that despise technology and wouldn't classify an automatic machine as even being a motorcycle. :lol3 (Only speaking for myself. Glad we still get a choice)