The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    possibly a patent issue. weight, cost $$. Honda able to developed it since they have use the DCT on other vehicles not just on bikes. it has been around before thy put it on a bike.

i call my DCT AT a “matured rider’s bike”

also like the manual tranny and have other bikes that i ride and enjoy for that reason. unfortunately, my Husqvarna 701 got me stranded 500 miles from home in the middle of the desert due to a clutch slave cylinder failure (known issue) but i assumed it wont happen on a brand new bike.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  2. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally understand, not that young myself... However, I usually refer to DCT as "automated", rather than "automatic":). After all, it's the same gearbox and you have engine breaking etc. In fact, you can do with DCT anything you can do with a manual with the exception of slipping/popping the clutch. The latter is a function I hope to see in future DCT boxes.

Cheers
    Honda-50, DCTFAN and Amphib like this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm really being just silly. I get it and see the appeal. Too many guys I like and respect love them, yourself included. I personally just have zero interest in it. When I first bought my manual, the salesperson was trying to push me on a DCT, he took one look at my facial expression and moved on :lol3.
  4. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did get the humor:). Even though I like my 2016 DCT, I do think, when I get my next one, it'll be a manual. Hoping that Honda will sort the ATAS fuel tank issues for 2021 (fingers crossed). I did pass on getting the 2020 ATAS for that reason.
    Amphib likes this.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too late for others or they are already thinking electric is the future.
    Honda has a leg up, no matter which way the trend goes.
    IMO, DCT days are nearing the end along with regular clutch transmissions.
    NSFW and MarshkevUK like this.
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the DCT works fine... for cruising. I also don't think it works all that great in tight twisty roads. It tends to down-shift in the middle of a turn or doesn't down-shift and lugs coming out of a turn. I got tired of it shifting all over the place so I just went to manual shifting for the tight twisties. The main reason I bought it was so that it works like a Rekluse in the dirt. I'm sure that is where it will shine for me (us). The downside is not having the clutch to bring the front wheel up when I need it. That might be a real issue. I haven't had it in the dirt yet enough to know.
    NorskieRider likes this.
  7. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    By far the best comparison of DCT vs. Rekluse by a credible source:

Todd157k likes this.
  8. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    BMW is/was at least thinking about it. The last time I bought a BMW (2018) I got a new buyer's survey from BMW that had a bunch of questions in it about why did I choose BMW, what other bikes I had presently and in the past, etc. It also had a really long series of questions about automatic/DCT transmissions which I thought was interesting.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW has had DCTs in their vehicles for ages. Wonder if their supplier has had issues packaging them down or something, or if they were letting Honda take the lead in seeing if it was market viable.

I don’t mind shifting, but when I’m exploring I like to spend more time paying attention to my surroundings then what gear I’m in. Plus it’s a delight 2up.

I don’t really have any issues with it in corners - I may command an extra downshift going in to one but since shifting with it doesn’t really upset the chassis or affect body positioning, I just ride out gear changes usually. Going 10 over on backroads here is dangerous enough!
  10. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Is the juice worth the squeeze? Are the sales numbers there to justify R&D, production line adjustments, parts, training, etc.
    if the margins are there I'm sure they would have done it or as another inmate opined, is it best to leap ahead and just go electric and let Honda have the niche segment?

:hmmmmm
    Time will tell but guessing jump to the future and go electric.
  11. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a DCT. I'd agree with you. On road I wish I had a standard. I wish I could pull the clutch in and come to a smooth stop instead of the herky jerky compression braking. It's never in the right gear when I'm riding corners hard so I use the downshift button a lot. When there are multiple tight curves I put it in manual mode; the DCT doesn't know a corner is coming so it's never in the right gear entering one. And sometimes it likes to shift in the middle of a corner and the rear tire steps out a little.

But when riding off pavement I'm happy to have the DCT, especially when standing. When concentrating on the terrain I like that it's one less thing to think about; I admit it's a crutch, I'm not an accomplished dirtbiker. I have a KLX400R for the gnarly stuff; at times my clutch hand cramps up and when standing with stiff boots it's difficult to locate the shifter without taking my foot off the peg. These are not issues with the DCT. But on several occasions I've made good use of a stalled engine and releasing the brake to ease it down inclines. Can't do that with a DCT.

The DCT isn't what makes the AT brilliant though ... there isn't much out there that weighs the same (or less) and is equally capable on or off road, very reliable, and low price.

I'm guessing there isn't enough of a market for it. Honda's high volume sales worldwide may be what allows them to offer it.

These are not issues with the DCT.
    neanderthal likes this.
  12. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my 2017 DCT. :D It’s the perfect companion for my archaic XR650R.
  13. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Another DCT'er here ... made the jump with my '18 ATAS for reasons of age and getting older at that. Given my dance card in the genetic lotto, I'm predisposed for Dupuytren's (du-pwe-TRANZ) contracture that has started for me but hasn't gotten significant yet as I've had some knots in my left hand for several years but don't have the finger curl yet. I figured that going DCT and clutch-less would buy me time and extend my riding life...

I'm a life-long rider having over 50 yrs. in the saddle and in excess of a million miles on two wheels on both street and dirt so I self-anoint as an experienced rider still riding at a level that matches others several decades my juniors ... not to brag mind you, just to present my, ahem, credentials. :photog

It took a while to acclimate to the automated characteristics of the DCT but I'm solidly in the fan camp two years and over 20,000 miles later. What really got me hook, line and sinker was during break in I was coming down through a section of my favorite twisties (the road was closed miles up canyon from post-fire flood washout repairs) with no traffic and I was having fun in Sport 3 mode at 2X+ the yellow warning speed and did my usual hard braking to pitch 'er over into the turn and did not anticipate the additional compression braking from downshifting 'cuz it wasn't initiated by my actions.

What happened next was the DCT got real busy dropping through 3 gears (5->4->3->2) all while auto-blipping the throttle to rev-match (I think this was a new ECU feature in '18 on the ATAS?) that had the back end sliding out to a moderate degree. While surprising, it wasn't hairy, it wasn't jerky, I didn't pucker and it was all downright predictable even to go as far as setting me up nicely for the next sweeper to the other side. That was it for me, I was smitten with a goofy grin under my face shield that lasted all the way back home. :-)

Since then, the love-affair has gotten better and more intimate. I spend just about all my time in S3 mode as it presents the gear choice I would make myself 95% of the time with a nudge on the paddle shifters giving me the other 5% at command. The default D mode drives me nuts with its short-shifting and I consider it a hazard in traffic as the latency in getting into the right gear for desired power when grabbing a handful is a risky hesitation. When I get on the gas, I want to move now not in 3 or 4 seconds. It even bugs me at cruising speed for the same latency issues in passing traffic as I spend most of my time in mountain terrain where passing zones are infrequent and tight. When I commit, I want to get out there and get the job done as quickly as possible ... not kinda-sorta at first and then serious already halfway through. In my area, two-lane speed limits are 70mph, flow of traffic usually 75mph coming in the other direction so I'm frequently flirting with 100mph when coming back into lane after having passed a F-350 towing a 5th-wheel and boat behind it to boot.

I also spend all my time in USER mode 1-1-1, maximum engine power, maximum engine braking and minimum traction control. I've tried the other modes including GRAVEL mode and don't like 'em. Higher levels of traction control don't work for me because the machine and I are both reacting to wheel spin at the same time. Its kinda like those annoying cell phone calls where you both start talking, then both back off, then both start talking again, then both stop before some someone sez OK, you go to reestablish a decent conversation. In the minimum 1 TC mode, it has to be pretty loose for it to kick in leaving me free to feather the throttle without machine interference to let me work optimum rear tire traction for the conditions. This even works for me in sandy and loamy conditions with the caveat that I don't do much in the way of mud. She's a big girl and wrestling with her in snotty stuff is generally unpleasant so I leave those conditions to my other bikes that are more suited for that without so much work.

I do use Manual mode when it gets really rocky and lumpy due to my preferred method of alternating on and off the throttle through the lumps as I don't want an upshift to throw off my timing and this goes double for descents in those same conditions. I've also been known to engage the parking brake into the set notches (properly adjusted) for rear end drag on hairy descents (rear anti-lock off of course) so I can have my feet out paddling for balance with the front twitching around in rollers so it doesn't get away from me. Just a slight dab on the rear brake gives me immediate wheel lock with a nice progressive roll once off the rear brake too.

Still getting used to the G button nuances as it is really subtle but I know 'er well enough now that I can feel the difference sufficiently to mostly know when I want to engage it or not.

So, those are my opinions on the AT DCT freely given and they may or may not be worth what ya paid for them ... I'd surely do it again and even on the hinted at smaller Africa Twinette that is said to be in the works if I ever spring for the more svelte one.

Good automated tech ridin' to ya!
    misterk and cblais19 like this.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i was tearing down my rear brake and this piece of metal fell on the ground. doesn't look like a spring. not even shown on the owners manual. the spring is still attached. this piece looks like a scraper.
    IMG_8459.JPG

my best guess
    IMG_8461.JPG

any idea?
  15. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a shim that goes on the back of the brake pad
    motocopter and Olde Phart like this.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Minus the autoblipping (the one thing that makes me wish I had a newer model), and a few extra decades of experience, this is my take. S3 generally downshifts fast enough as I brake hard into hard corners I don’t feel the need to command shifts that often. When I do, the thumb button is right there!

Just got back from tearing VA backroads up, with a passenger, and can’t imagine a better bike.
  17. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposed to squeal when the pads get thin

18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you mastered DCT.
    As you pointed out in detail- the 3 gears shifts (5->4->3->2) cannot be replicated easily by the average rider with a manual clutch even if they were to practice it day in and day out.
    I ride knowing this will happen in the background even if I am $hitting my pants while making the unexpected, decreasing radius turn that came out of nowhere! :)
    The "risky hesitation" is one of my pet peeves but I do understand why they programmed it; it is a small deficiency in the name of safety. I learned to live with it.
  19. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That and the hang in shift on 2nd gear and 3rd sometimes then quick shifts up. That i don't understand.
  20. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Happens to me also. It's random and annoying.