The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad im not the only one. I tend to just upshift it up ounce I notice it happening.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In S3, it’ll hang out in gears 2-4 if I give it a fair bit of throttle sometimes. A tap to the upshift fixes it - I think the programming sometimes assumes you’re wanting it to hang out for more aggressive acceleration.
    Olde Phart likes this.
  3. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:

It mostly does it to me in D. Almost never in S1. Those are the two modes I tend to switch between. But as you said a quick upshot tap and your good to go.
  4. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that too ... but being a washed up Mechanical Engineer and Software Engineer I like to try and figure out the algorithms that systems employ. What I've been able to discern so far, that hang in gear occurs when there has been an increase in throttle demand while in that gear so it "waits" on upshift in case more power is needed rather than upshifting.

Try this yourself, as it shifts into 2nd or 3rd, bump the throttle momentarily and then return to the previous position before it has a chance to shift. I get the "hang" about every time I do this. It is a bit annoying but I've gotten pretty quick on the trigger finger when I just don't want to put up with it being the impatient type myself.

Good knowing what you want when you want it to ya!
    DCTFAN likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, what is this “D” you speak of?

:p
    Smittyrunner likes this.
  6. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:

It's the thing i use when I'm trying to extend my mileage. S1 doesn't get me anything near 150 miles to a tank..
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the replies.

brake pads are back in place and the rear wheel is turning smoothly.
    motocopter likes this.
  9. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It stands for "Don't use" - and I never do.
    I start the bike and then double tap the button to put it in S1 where it stays unless I get to some fun twisties and feel like some S3 fun. I don't need to be in 6th gear at 50kph so D is totally pointless IMO.
    1litre and windowto like this.
  10. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    That's the "stuck in traffic" button.
  11. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    Has any one installed an after market LOUD horn? If so, what brand and where did you mount it?

How about driving lamps.

Dudley
  12. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a $20 high tone horn from Advance auto parts on mine. Also Baja Designs S2 Sport lights mounted on my SW Motech crash bars. The lights are wired with a Skene dimmer and setup for 20% brighness with the low beam and full power when switched to high beam. I don't ride at night much, so I can't speak too well to running them on high, but they do great for conspicuity during the day with the low beam. I've had fewer people pull out in front of me since I added them.
    Dudley likes this.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fiamm Freeway Blaster, direct bolt on. loud enough for my need.
    IMG_8468.JPG
    windowto likes this.
  14. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    Denali Soundbomb Compact. I used the Denali mount in the stock location.
    Dudley likes this.
  15. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have pics installed? What mount?
  16. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    You all know everything about these ATs and I'm brand new with a 2019 L. I read that the ATAS has taller bars than the L. My bars need to come up an inch. Why couldn't I get a set of ATAS bars and the ATAS front brake line. It would have to be longer, yes? I know they are different part numbers
  17. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the handlebars that different or is it the bar mounts/risers or a combination of both for the additional height?

You'd probably just need the ATAS brake line from master cylinder to ABS junction.
  18. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the SoundBomb Mini when OEM horn died. Not much louder than stock. FIAMs at CDN Tire would have been cheaper. Same specs.
  19. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I dont know about the bar or riser.. Cycle world says the bars are 1.3" higher, screen 80mm higher, and seat taller and flatter. The seat statement is accurate as I switched to a 2018 ATAS seat and it is all those things. More research indicated. UPDATE: The part # difference is in the risers. Better news as they are 1/2 the price of bars. Thank you for the tip

It seems the part #s are the same for the lower hose and different for upper. The upper hose is probably the longer one.
    N0madic likes this.
  20. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    I used the Denali mount (kind of expensive for a bent piece of stock, but it fits..). I can take some pics if you want, but there are also some pics up at several places online. Here's one set - https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/el...-bracket-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-16-rev02/
    The only issue is that it sits a bit close to the inside of the crashbar (mine are swmotech) so in a major off I could see the horn getting broken or the bracket bent (or worst case the mounting holes it uses in the case cover getting buggered and requiring chasing with a tap or a helicoil/timesert). That said, I did lowside it on pavement on that side (left) and it came out without a scratch (the horn anyway..).

I've never tried the mini, but have the compact on the AT and a split on another bike and they are both pretty damn loud.