The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's something wrong with it, I don't care what you're dealer says. My '17 has no issues. Cold starts ok, hot starts easy, and has never died on me. Over 8k miles in the year I've owned it. Bought it new old stock at a great price.
    motocopter and Amphib like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I completely agree with @William Wolfen. I've got a '17. Bought it new, now close to 25k miles on it. No problems like that at all. Maybe a couple of flame outs during break in and using premium a couple of times early on, but the bike has run flawlessly. I wish I could help you out in Illinois, but I'm in NC. My dealer has a great shop but is awfully far away. I fear any advice I'd have would be throwing darts in the dark. I'd be tempted to look at the plumbing under the tank, to see if anything is pinched. I'd probably examine the throttle cable and make sure everything is adjusted properly and moves smoothly. These bikes are pretty basic and I'd lean towards something just not set up right, possibly a bad sensor somewhere. MAP maybe?

Once running what's it idling at?
    William Wolfen likes this.
  3. Deming

Deming Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once it starts, it tends to idle pretty well and for the most part it has plenty of power and torque.
    My hope is to ride the Idaho BDR this August 2021 and what happens with the bike at elevation and on cold mornings in the middle of Idaho.
    Will it start ? Something has never been correct with this bike since Day 1 and my dealer says its fine.
    My BMW R1200RT - starts like a champ and always runs flawlessly. The Africa Twin-- it is the hardest starting bike I have ever owned when temps are below 60 degrees.
    I am willing to trailer the bike to someone knowledgeable who can figure this out.
    Bike is still covered under Honda extended warranty.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    That sucks man. Sorry you're dealing with this. Have you replaced the battery yet? Or at least had it tested? I also have read there's been corrosion issues in the starter switch that can cause headaches with starting. I take my bike remote places and worrying about it starting would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

This is my dealer in Asheville.

https://mr-motorcycle.com/

Great place to visit and ride if you worked something out with them.
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one thing Honda did that I'm not fond of is the use of the idle air control valve. Item 5 below.
    2017 Honda CRF1000A 2AC THROTTLE BODY | Cheap Cycle Parts
    [​IMG]

It would seem that any leaking seal would cause problems you are experiencing. Might be worth a chat with the dealer techs. Even an intermittent connection for item 6 could be a problem.
    simmons1 and Amphib like this.
  6. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Since it's still under warranty I'd take it to another dealer or even a few other Honda dealers. Getting a 'second opinion'.
    moparren, CRFan1 and RustySpokes like this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BINGO!
    procycle likes this.
  8. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the first part, everyone here likes to help! But the most helpful thread for you right now is the CRF1000 'Problem Thread'
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-crf1000l-africa-twin-problem-thread.1131281/

For the second part, I looked around to see if ECU tuning was possible but it violates your still-good warranty. Save that for later. If it was bad right out of the box, it ain't a software issue.

For your trouble, I'm with @motocopter. More than a few gremlins have been caused by the idle air control valve, including @bbanker 's hard starting and stalling issue.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...problem-thread.1131281/page-288#post-40724974

As advised above, take it to another dealer if you can. Be a squeaky wheel. And have them look at your spokes, they were prone to rust on '16 and '17 bikes. I had all mine replaced for free on my '17 under warranty.
  9. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Do you know about the starter switch issue on the 16's? There is an updated part number for the starter/kill switch assembly.

I was having intermittent starting issues. Replaced the switch with the updated version and zero issues since...
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-11-23_8-22-0.png
    blrfjr and BLucare like this.
  11. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I developed the same issue after about 20K miles, ended up being the idel air control sensor. And a bad/ cracked spark plug.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  12. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Octane rating fuel are you using?
  13. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Appalachian Twin

Appalachian Twin Adventurer

Oddometer:

Have you thought this may be the bad starter switch problem well outlined and discussed in the problem thread?
    When issue arises try toggling starter switch on and off repeatedly a few times. If it starts right up it may be the starter/kill switch issue. There is an updated part for 2016-2017 models.
  15. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, what kind of seats do you guys run? I just bought my '18 AT last week and I after 30 minutes of riding I start to get sore. My previous bike was an '18 HD Lowrider, I was able to ride for hours before getting sore with the OEM seat. I did 1600 miles in a 24 hour ride once, THAT is how good the seat was. I'm not sure another seat that good even exist, I was shocked at how perfect it was. But anyway, what exist for the AT that can do some serious mileage? I do a lot of long distance rides, I live in south FL so it's a good 8 hours to get out of the state. I'm no stranger to long hauls... and I really need a seat!

So far, I know of seat concepts, corbin and sargent seats. Does anyone else have any other reccomendations that look and preform respectably? Thanks guys!
  16. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the touratech sport one peice seat (tall version) with the dri-ride material. I've done a couple of 12-13 hour riding days on it and was reasonably happy.
  17. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Sure it is, it's a tough adventure bike! Here's another one:

upload_2020-11-24_8-9-49.png
    motocopter and Amphib like this.
  18. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    This is the one I have my eye on, standard height. But they're hard to find, and I'm saving my $$ something else at the moment.

In the meantime I've draped a Sit'n'Fly over the stock seat. It is an improvement and I've done an ironbutt or two, but I still need to give my butt a break every 50 miles or so. That can be as simple as a minute standing on the pegs though.
  19. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the seat concepts rally seat. I like it alot. I did an usa tour this summer on it 23,000 miles. I find it still comfortable up to about 14 hours. Only down fall to the seat is its 1 inch taller then the the stock seat in the high setting. With that being said I run it in the high setting so my knees aren't so bent, but I can barley reach the ground. Hope this helps.
  20. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Sargent seat on my bike and I've run a couple Iron Butt rides and a Dusty Butt. I recommend the Sargent.
    horseiron1 and Veeblefetzer like this.