The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your problem is obvious.

they put the kick stand on the wrong side. :imaposer
  2. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only made it 3/4 of the way home from the dealership before I decided unquestionably to get rid of the stock seat.
    I went with the Sargent seat and am quite happy with it for 300 mile days. 13000 miles under my butt and it shows no wear & tear.
    It's the only aftermarket seat I've ever had so all I can say is it's 100% better than stock. That's a low bar, though.
    NSFW likes this.
  3. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it's still not right. Here's one from me. Came out of the creek, where I underestimated the depth and bank height/slope on the other side.

IMG_20180430_150730760.jpg
    NorskieRider, Bike Guy and BLucare like this.
  4. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit of sweat and elbow grease and I've got 4 tires swapped on 2 bikes.
    Who needs a car or truck to bring your tires to recycling when you have an ADV bike?
    20201124_142011.jpg
    Deming, neanderthal, NSFW and 9 others like this.
  5. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I have the Seat Concepts tall rally in conjunction with an Alaskan sheepskin.... pretty darn comfy!
  6. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Sure it is! I just shows we're not afraid of challenging ourselves, and we don't baby our machines.

In my case ... the first pic (on last dollar road) it shows I was challenged to find a place to put my kickstand when I really really really had to pee ... the second pic (muddy uphill) I couldn't keep the front planted and it slid out. That was also a lesson to stop riding ATV trails in the boonies by myself (and how heavy and difficult it was to get it upright when I had no traction).
    motocopter likes this.
  7. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. blrfjr

blrfjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an observation....and Im not an expert or anthing but........after deployment of the side stand, lean the bike to the same side as the side stand. Hope this helps.
  9. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How quickly does your bike shut down after a tipover? I've only had one* and after chuckling at myself a bit I realized the engine was still on and had time to reach up an hit the Big Red Button. I'm a machinist, and have learned to hit the Big Red Button pretty quickly when things go pear shaped, but it seemed like the bike should have cut out sooner.

*I, too, learned the lesson about riding alone. I was able to pick the bike up, but only because I didn't get a mad charlie-horse or twisted ankle (wrist, knee...) on the way down.
    windowto likes this.
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't recall. I'm usually in "ooo get a picture" mode when it happens.
    Veeblefetzer likes this.
  11. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was off already the first time it fell (rolled forward on the side stand) and I shut it off quickly the second time (tip over in the James River).
    Veeblefetzer likes this.
  12. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    My stock brake lines are three years old now so I think I will replace them. Has anyone made the swap to Galfer brake lines? Do you notice an improvement in performance and do you think they are worth it?
    Also, any Canadians have a recommendation of where to buy them. COVID closing the border is a bummer for when I want to order things to my US mailbox.
  13. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, back again! I have some questions regarding my new 2018 AT (leftover). I just got it last Tuesday and I'm at 530 miles currently. I sometimes experience weird RPMs, like it will fluctuate between 12-1700 RPM at idle... somewhere around there. This has only happened probably like 5 times total. I remember hearing some kind of... "puffing" sound, I'm not sure how to describe it. Is this normal? I'm about to do the 600 mile oil change in the next few days. Other than this bike has been running flawlessly. I've done some mild off roading with a few water crossings, nothing to intense. I've also kept the bike exclusively at or below 4000 RPM while riding. Please let me know what you guys think about this!

I also have another question, I went to my local dealer and asked them what oil I should use. They said that I should use 10w40. I asked if they're sure as I doubted them since the owners manual said 10w30. I decided to go with their word and purchase the oil and a filter. I also realized I need a pair of crush washers too, I'll get those tomorrow morning. This is my first time working on a motorcycle, doing an oil change myself. Seems pretty easy.

I know most motorcycles require 10w40, why would the AT use 10w30? I live in south FL where temperatures are easily 95 degrees most days. Typically 85 now this time of year. Not sure if that info is important to their reasoning. I hear online that using the 10w40 could void the factory warranty. Is this true? Why would the dealership (the parts department) suggest this?
  14. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic. I change it every 4000 miles.
  15. Deming

Deming Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am using 92 non ethanol gas currently.
    I plan to take everyone's advice and have the Honda dealership replace the idle air control valve sensor and see if they can or will replace the starter switch.
    I pulled it out of the garage again today and same problem --crank and crank and crank -pop- sputter pop. After 6 attempts it started with me holding the throttle half open and cranking.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s made to run on 87AKI, probably not causing your issues, but no point putting high octane in.
  17. Deming

Oddometer:
    I have a custom made Saddleman gel seat and it is awesome ! extremely comfortable on long trips.
  18. Deming

Oddometer:
    87 non ethanol -- 10-4.
    Thanks
  19. Deming

Oddometer:
    Noticed you are from TN.
    Any chance of coming down with the bikes and trailer and riding backcountry TN. ?
    I dont know the area well, but have always wanted to ride TN.
    My buddy and I have both done RawHyde so we feel pretty confident off road.
    motocopter likes this.
  20. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Custom made? Any chance I can get a link where you placed your order? Can you maybe even upload a photo of it? I know it's asking a lot haha.