The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Generally, I have to ride about an hour east of Portland to find better riding. Still, it's mostly riding pavement but the Garmin does like to take me down some single-lane back woods places for a few miles before we are back on pavement. What are you riding? One to two hours away in the hills in the area circle in the map below, things are interesting. I keep wanting to get out to eastern TN/ western NC to ride FS roads with the AT--been out numerous times with the former C14 and GW.

Big South Fork & Beaver Creek areas.jpg

Also, if you have not seen these threads, keep an eye on them. The SM500 has gpx files embedded.

Smokey Mountain 500 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Lets Take A Ride @ LBL Spring Ride 2021 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
  2. Deming

Deming Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride the 2016 Africa Twin -- just need to sort out the starting issue with the Honda dealer.
    My bike has all the typical aftermarket mods for BDR style rides.
    My buddy rides a KTM 1090. We can fit a total of three big bikes on my new Diamond C 14 foot UVT trailer.
    All the tools and gear go in the bed of my 2500HD ( fiberglass topper).
    We would be trailering from Chicago and probably stopping for a night of sleep at a buddy's house in Paris, TN.
    Eastern TN would be awesome ! What is mid March weather like down there ?
    motocopter likes this.
  3. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about switching to a high fender kit? Camel ADV kit includes the Galfer brake lines. That's what I'm going to do. Cory's got a sale now too :)
  4. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it. I didn't immediately connect your user name with the start/idle situation from a few pages back. Sorry about that.

Rainy in March, generally speaking. There is a March Moto Madness I've wanted to go, but never would commit because of possible wet conditions and I despise mud--even when I had the former WR400F. Sill I keep 90/10 tires on spare wheels for the best off-pavement tires and an easy(ier) swap when needed.
  5. Nomadic_adv

Nomadic_adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm satisfied with the Camel ADV high fender kit on my ATAS. I do wish it came with an additional stainless Galfer brake line for the master cylinder to ABS hard line junction and maybe an option for a rear line. Probably due to the differences in lengths for regular AT and ATAS.

Taking measurements on both to have Galfer make those lines.
    PistolPetey likes this.
  6. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did see that and have thought about it quite a bit. I'm not sure if the high fender will work with my aux lights and I actually do like having the low fender in the rain. Your legs and feet get soaked without it. Or at least they did on my KLR with a high fender.
    motocopter likes this.
  7. PistolPetey

Oddometer:
    I've only had an issue with the low fender and mud clog once, but I'm ready for a change, and I think the stainless brake lines will make a difference for long/hot descents. Plus they look cool lol.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  8. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah I do love the look of the high fender. Also if you order direct from Galfer you can pick what colour lines you want. . It looks like they have a Honda red that would look good on my red AT! I need to replace the lines on the little XT250 too so I think I'll do both at the same time. I just wish it wasn't so much for shipping and the exchange rate sucks.
    PistolPetey likes this.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Assuming your bike is still under warranty, I would just mention it to the dealer and see what they have to say and get it on record that you have the issue. Could be the idle control valve.

Also, it's not true that most motorcycles require 10W-40.
  10. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks man, I'm just going to just return the oil and get the 10W-30 oil. I'll mention it tomorrow morning when I stop by.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    @SQK_1200 my AT has only ever had 10w-40 put into the engine. Mobile-1 at that. 23k+ miles now.
  12. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I appreciate that insight. Thanks brother. Food for thought.
  13. SQK_1200

SQK_1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, a question to everyone. Do you think I'd get a difference in product/quality if I order my upper crashbars from Altrider either directly from their website, or through Revzilla?

I purchased them through Revzilla despite some of their negative reviews. I know they have a great reputation, hence why I went with them. I was wondering if there is a difference in the final product. Would seem odd.
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine there being a difference other than Reveille getting a slice of the pie.
  15. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what mine was doing before the replaced the part.
  16. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine runs fine on 87e10... Ethanol free gas isn't really available around here, though I do know a station 20 miles out the freeway.
  17. PistolPetey

Oddometer:
    I agree with what @MikefromNL said about the crashbars. I doubt there's a different product if it comes from Revzilla or Altrider.

In my case, I contacted Altrider directly about the crashbars (I'm in Canada), asked all the tech questions and then went with a Canadian distributor to get the bars because the Altrider rep figured it would probably save me money to go with the Canadian distributor to avoid border/exchange/shipping charges by dealing directly with Altrider.

I have a few Altrider pieces on my bike, and the products and the customer service have been outstanding.
    As an aside, I've seen a couple comments about the paint wearing off the crashbars, and maybe there's something too that, but in my case the paint removal has been the result of many tip-overs, 2 lowsides, overestimation of riding skills, dodgy route selection. There are no paints that I'm aware of that will hold up to that kind of abuse, but the structural integrity to the bars has held up. If you are getting the Upper bars, I would strongly consider getting the lowers as well, the engine is vulnerable if you drop the bike in uneven/rocky terrain. Good luck, hope this helps.
    horseiron1 and windowto like this.
  18. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can confirm that my SW-Motech crashbars have very little paint left on the right side (for some reason I go down on the right 9/10 times offroad). They are a bit bent at this point and I have to loosen them to get the fairings off, but they have also been remarkably strong. THe Altirider bars werent out yet when I bought mine, otherwise I would have bought theirs or Outback Motortech.
  19. PistolPetey

Oddometer:
    I had the SW-Motech bars on my bike for 1.5 seasons. They were remarkably strong, but I ended up selling them because the protective coverage wasn't quite enough for me and I had a close call with a boulder that (fortunately) deeply scratched the clutch cover instead of punching through it. That drop ended up being the catalyst to switch to Altrider.
    I noticed the "etching" on your bars in the pic you shared with the stack of 50 tires. Your bike looks good considering its been all the way to Santa's front yard and back. Well done!
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha- My attempts at painting over the damage has obviously been futile. You can probably see the gouge in the right side DCT cover on my bike in that pic too. Its only about halfway through the cover though- I looked at upgrading to the full coverage bars after that wipeout too but decided to keep pressing my luck instead. I usually carry metal epoxy nowadays on rides.
    I've also got some nice character added to the upper part of the fairings from my attempts at doing barrel rolls. The upper crash bars would have been great there too.

Funny enough most of my tip overs have been riding single-track locally. The only tip over I had on my trip to Tuk was in the muddy gas station parking lot in Fort McPherson, right in front of the watching RCMP officer.
    PistolPetey likes this.