The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their other store I believe,
    Holzhauer Auto and Motorsports

Was looking at both and this was the better deal in my opinion. Plus taxes and dealer prep
  2. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good deals in St Louis there guys. My leftover '19 manual was $10,599+ fees here in Houston. Still a great value when you look at similar bikes on the market. Leftover Africa Twins are an excellent new bike value.
    neanderthal and sheath like this.
  3. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leftover 17 bought 09/18, $10K OTD, Tampa
    sheath likes this.
  4. KarlwithaK

KarlwithaK Worry less, ride more

Oddometer:
    Prices so low they could almost tempt a KLR650 Owner
  5. KarlwithaK

Oddometer:
  6. moparren

moparren Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way back in one of these threads someone equated the Twin to being the big adv bike version of the KLR and kept thinking "basically bomb proof after fixing a few things and they go everywhere because their owners aren't afraid of dropping them". Ya, I can live with that.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  7. sheath

sheath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2018 ATAS. It is so darned beautiful, that I'll admit to practicing jumping under the bike if it decides to take a dirt nap.
    Broken body pieces heal. I've already got a half century plus of "battle scars".
    But I get upset when bugs commit suicide on the bike. Getting an actual scratch on it would require a life time of therapy visits. So yeah, I'll save the serious dirt riding for a good MX bike.
    The AT is very competent on fire roads, two-track, and even reasonable single track though. So we've had some fun, and seen some great views. :)

Attached Files:

8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My AT gets a wash a couple times a year, or if its been out when the road is salty. I haven't quite rammed it into dirt the way some of you folks do, but it's taken quite a few naps on the crash bars and hand guards.

I love it dearly, perhaps all the more because it's a bike I just want to ride and have the joy of exploring on. My shiny road bikes are there to polish and look at, and keep rotating out of my garage :lol2.
    sheath, mentolio and Amphib like this.
  9. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder is there any Tenere 700 rider who rode AT ? [emoji848]
  10. Gemel

Gemel ubuntu.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife's AT DCT is a 2016, with VIN # 014, + 20k miles.
    Faultless, other than when the battery began to die last month and caused some shifting issues. Once replaced, it was back to its usual dependable self.
    In fairness, the original battery had a date of Dec 2016, so all in all great service from the Yuasa.
  11. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you that the R1250GSA wouldn't be the right bike for you? (j/k)
    sheath likes this.
  12. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I gotta say I think all AT/ATASs are just gorgeous bikes! Something about the look is both rugged and pretty, beefy yet sexy. That’s why I ponied-up for legit crash bars! Dumped it on its sides in the dirt a few times and nearly cried...
    sheath likes this.
  13. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motociclo
    Check his suspension threads on both bikes. Awesome.
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  14. sheath

sheath Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a bit big to fit on a king size bed... :hmmmmm
  15. KarlwithaK

Oddometer:
    I wonder the same. I was interested in the T7, but couldn’t find one in my area. I ride street more than dirt and on paper the AT appears to be the better street bike due to more power. But, can’t say for sure since I haven’t ridden a T7.
  16. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Cory @Camel ADV has experience with both and I think has some comparisons on his website or thread here on advrider
  17. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just recently bought a second Africa Twin after totalling my first one. A T7 was considered, but due to just that, lack of availability, I didn't go to deep into it. I also didn't like losing an inch of suspension travel and ground clearance while gaining seat height. I still wonder if it was the right choice, but I really liked my first AT and still like the new one, so no major regrets. I just won't be test riding a T7 anytime soon!
    sheath likes this.
  18. xtbiker

xtbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Meanwhile I have got a 2016 manual version. First registration is in 2018 and has barely 18K km on the clock. In loved riding her home. It feels easier than the 700 transalp.
  19. LouisPK

LouisPK Gotta Die of Something

Oddometer:
    Ditched my '05 KLR with a pile of miles for a new 2018 DCT in late 2019, got it in SoCal for 10,500 OTD. Just had to ride 1100 miles in 24 hours in late November back home.
    IMG_0064.JPG 59614283786__F39DA971-DF93-4A29-9C87-0BE6AF4EFA4A.JPG
    Cuttin, 410214, Todd157k and 2 others like this.
  20. katit

katit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short review of AT OE heated grips.

For me they work good (for heating). I didn't use more then #3 setting in temperatures I ride.
    They heat evenly, L/R the same, no problem.

One thing I just noticed during last ride and it started to irritate me - cable on right grip. Wire loop get's in a way of my thumb and annoys.
    I tighten cable an little to make loop smaller but still, it interferes with my thumb.

I don't have issue with accidently pressing button on left grip like people reported. That is not a problem