The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. rustynut2

rustynut2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to Buena Vista next week. Tin Cup, Haggerman, Tomichi, Hancock Pass, but I'll be on the drz, yep I'ma puss
    motocopter likes this.
  2. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hotchkiss ride is from a friend's new place, so I can't comment yet on what's available. We will be exploring to some extent, all on big bikes, so much may be on new-to-us routes. However, if you look at the map, Hotchkiss is right in the middle of "everything", with mountains and forests all around. I'll try to do a RR afterwards.

Tires: Front is a Golden Tyre 723 "Fatty", and the rear is a MotoZ Rall Z. The fat front definitely gives more "float" than a typical 90/90 and you need a few miles to get used to the light feel. But, grip is fine, the cushioning is great, and if you get onto any sand or soft gravel the front end stays up instead of knifing in. I used this combination going across the northern forests of the Sierras in CA and it was good. The front does have tall knobs, so no knee dragging!

I am using the 723 fatty on my CRF450L too. I think there is a new number for that tire now as Golden Tyre has made a few improvements. 725? Not sure.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tin Cup is still a handful on a DRZ. Looking forward to the ride report. :beer

(I pussed out even more than you cuz I blew off Tin Cup completely. I was 2up on a DR though)
    rustynut2 likes this.
  4. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mitas e07
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the area now with the AT. Tomorrow, I'll ride old Monarch Pass then to Pitkin and Tin Cup. Will attempt Tin Cup Pass too, but have to see how that goes.

I rode up Hancock with the former 690ER and felt a complished afterwards. :lol2

After Tin Cup, I'll continue up to Taylor Reservoir and over to BV. Then back to camp.

Collecting some passes for a challenge in the Rever app.
    rustynut2 and DCTFAN like this.
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Sage Pass after riding Old Monarch Pass. The AT is sporting the spare black wheels with Motoz Tractionators.

IMG_20210810_095244389.jpg
    ROYMACNIC, belrix, Olde Phart and 2 others like this.
  7. sailorjerry13

sailorjerry13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this vid. Pretty interesting.

Cuttin, moparren and bentlink like this.
  8. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    End of life for my 804 with 8500 miles on it. The double blocks wear faster than the big single block but the wear is not even around the tire. Looking down while riding, the tire looks like it is mounted straight and appears round. Noisy as hell the way it is now. Air pressure was 28-36 PSI. I have a tire pressure monitor system and was surprised how much the pressure changed with altitude and temperature. IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG
    Bhart89 likes this.
  9. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I think thats about normal if thats in mls, There is no magic if you use a brake or throttle you are going to burn up tyres. The rear Motoz are taller than most so tend to last quite well, ones like the TKC80 or Shinko 805 only need to do a lap of the car park and they are done. Softer suspension is less harsh on tyres (but may not be more grip), same for low traction (wet roads) softer is normally less stress on the tyre. My bike loaded for a typical ride is 250kg add 100kg for me starting and stopping that at any speed is going to be a bad day for a tyre, if you can get 6k km to 10k km I think you have done an exceptional job.
    simmons1 likes this.
  10. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m working on a project bike and am considering using the gear shift lever from an Africa twin on it. I’ve spent a fair amount of time searching and have come up empty. Is the OEM shift lever steel or aluminum?
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aluminum
  12. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Does that seem like an odd choice? I was under the impression that steel was preferred since it would bend rather that break, which seemed like a better option for an adventure bike which would actually get used. Or is my info out of date? (LMK if this has already been discussed to death somewhere).
  13. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know when the last time I saw a steel shift lever was. Aluminum is lighter and they don't design the bike's to be crashed.
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    An aluminum shifter will bend as experienced on the former 690ER. I carried a spare shifter and installed on the trail. Straightening one is a different story. Seems doable; but, back at the garage.
  15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the rear brake lever is made of the same aluminum as the gear shifter (DCT, here)
    You have no worries.
    My brake lever bent 120 deg backwards and I was able to bend it back, without breaking it.
  16. edw_rider

edw_rider n00b

Oddometer:
    2019 Crf1000L MT adv

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      762.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      538.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      418.3 KB
      Views:
    motocopter likes this.
  17. combustion cycles

combustion cycles Action Jansen

Oddometer:
  18. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a bit more research to do, but for a bike which I plan to use for multi-week trips, I’m definitely leaning towards steel. It’s good to know that folks have managed to bend the aluminum back without issue, but to my mind it seems easier/less risky to bend back steel in the field, and almost certainly easier to find a welder if I manage to break it entirely.

Thanks for all the responses; they were helpful.
  19. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're that concerned about those specific parts, carry spares. They're not that big or heavy.
    sitz and Northwoods Snowman like this.
  20. mrbighead

mrbighead Been here awhile

Oddometer: