The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely; will do that regardless. Snapped a lever off in India a few years back. Soooooo glad I had a spare.

That said, at the moment, I think I’d prefer a bendy/bend-backable one to one which might snap after a bang or three.
  2. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You worry more about a shift lever than the ride. Clutch lever is Aluminium. It can end your ride when snapped. Footpeg mounts are cast Aluminium and on the 2107 can fracture. Buy the Camel ADV brace.
    Zip tie spare levers in bicycle tubes to frame members. Done. Go ride.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  3. rustynut2

rustynut2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

4. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this same info is in that PDF (because I'm too lazy to read it) but there's a good interview with the developers about G-mode and Selectable Torque Control (Traction Control)

https://global.honda/innovation/technology/motorcycle/tech-views/vol09_g-switch_stc/interview.html

My favorite quote, regarding the DCT's "D" setting:
    "Ito: Normally, when riding on paved roads in D mode, the speed selection schedule is set so that gear shifts up to 6th are done at speeds of 56 – 58km/h" (35 mph). Which settled my mind on whether it was just totally malfunctioning.
  5. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    "D" mode on my '18 ATAS is kinda like Premature Shiftulation ... too short & too quick to enjoy all the fun that could still be there. :photog

Using G-mode in "D" kinda sorta makes it like S1 mode but I still keep it in S3 for more prolonged action where it counts. :thumbup

Good fondlin' all the sensitive buttons to ya!
    playinatwork and Veeblefetzer like this.
  6. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a few from the last couple of days in Northern England P1050615 (2).JPG P1050617.JPG P1050611.JPG
    misterk, 1litre, Ian.H and 5 others like this.
  7. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome place for a ride!
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    A day ride up Shelf Road, around Cripple Creek and Victor, and back down the Phantom Canyon.

IMG_20210817_103624062.jpg

IMG_20210817_110654576.jpg

IMG_20210817_121540378.jpg
  9. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!
  10. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, time to change the oil in my 17. Went to the local dealer to get oil and filter. Got back to my shop and decided to check to see if the filter is the same as my 2000 ST1100. Checked the # on the wrapper and saw that the filter was made in CHINA! What the heck?
  11. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am guessing that's not the only Chinesium part on the AT.
  12. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately true, I'm sure. So much is made in China these days.
  13. Olderslowerguy

Oddometer:
    Just disappointing! If I wanted Chinese crap, I’d order it on EBay!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  14. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *AliExpress
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Are they no longer made by Roki? My last order of OEM filters were made in US. Anyway, if you don't want Chinese made filters, by another brand of filter, like Wix or Purolator.
  16. Olderslowerguy

Oddometer:
    When I went in, I gave them a Roki number. Told me that it had been updated to the one I got. So, not sure Rokis available anymore, at least where I went.
  17. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used Champ car filters since my bike was new. Made in USA bought on Ebay.
  18. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for some new handlebars for my 2017 AT preferably black any suggestions?
  19. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After an earnest attempt at doing my own 16,000 mile valve clearance check, I chickened out after "Step 1138: Remove that ignition system module that's under your airbox, which was under your fuel tank and maybe we'll talk about getting all four spark plugs out."

I'm no slouch in the knucklebusting field, I'm a trained machinist, general fabricator, former Mythbuster, and veteran of dozens of shitbox trucks and rat bikes; but I know when I'm licked. I was going to make one mistake deep down there in the lower spheres of doom and that was going to seriously eat into my riding time. (Supply chain delays are very real in 2021, don't shred that obscure JIS 8-pin connector with your Vice-Grips.)

This is an example of something that I've observed over my career as a prototype fabricator. As CAD design gets more powerful, mouse driver engineers are more and more capable of designing mechanical assemblies that pack a shit-ton of functionality into a very small package.

The downside is that effecting repairs and maintenance on these assemblies requires dis-assembling ten other assemblies to get to the one you want. Actually, the downside is that these assemblies are designed in CAD and don't take human hands or even commonly available tools into account. The mouse drivers just click and drag the assembly out of place.

The upside of this is that you and I get a fucking Honda Africa Twin to ride around on. The bike I ride would be impossible to build without being able to pack a hundred systems cheek by jowl into a well balanced, slender, confidence inspiring and dead sexy motorcycle. Sure, it's not as easy to fix as my XS650, but it's also a thousand times better.

So anyway! After buttoning it all back up it ran fine but made a funny noise. After another 1500 miles I took it in to the proper Honda mechanic and $1000 later it doesn't make a funny noise anymore, and the exhaust valves are up to snuff. I have, from my own experience, a keen understanding of what that $1000 charge was for and I paid it grinning.

I bought a Honda because after 30 years of rat bikes and shitboxes I was sick of working on cars and motorcycles. I had learned that all the 20 year old motorcycles I worked on were Hondas, even 20 years ago. After 30 years of knuclebusting in fabrication shops I can afford to pay some better equipped knuclebuster to do my valves.

I can't remember why I thought I should do my own valve check. Some vestige of my younger self that wanted to be able to take anything apart and fix it. I don't throw shade on any teenager or twentysomething in this decade that can't tear down a new-bought motorcycle, the way I could on my GPZ550. I also understand why those youngsters are all batshit for "retro" bikes. The need to be able to tear down and rebuild (or at the very least maintain) is still real, but the newer bikes aren't assembled by human hands, and so don't lend themselves to investigation.
  20. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Getting the two center plug caps off is a pain in the arse but you were so close, throttle bodies come off then the coil tray out, unbolt the radiators remove the plastic around the right hand one and you where good to go and get the cam cover off.